Hello From Los Angeles And A 65 Classic Owner

Nicholas R. Melillo

Jul 17, 2017
Hiya folks and thank you for letting me join all of you. I am the 2nd owner of a 65 mustang 6cylinder 4speed Mustand classic red,
Here are a few things I would like some help on, I have a Dagenheim I believe the spelling transmission 4 speed with the 2nd gear slipping when I slow down. I would like recommendations of a good place to get it rebuilt or replace. As to the car is all original with only 68k miles I would love a reliable place to send the trans to get rebuilt. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks and hope to hear from someone that can point me in the right direction
Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Nick, welcome to Stangnet.

Post a picture or two of your mustang for us, we'd love to see it.

I'll move your thread to the Classic subforum, the guys there will be able to help you out.

Good to have you with us.

nick, while you can probably find parts and find someone to rebuild that trans, my advice would be to step up to a T5. its a stronger trans, and adds the overdrive as well.

Does the t5 fit in without modification? Thanks for your help
nick

that depends on what you consider modification. most of the time a T5 goes in a vintage mustang with a minimum of aftermarket parts, stuff like a new trans crossmember, and a bell housing adapter, but the shifter comes up through the shifter opening in the floor where it should. check out the modern driveline kit.

@Nicholas R. Melillo
Gosh, if ONLY the T-5 had been around when I spent all the time and effort to adapt a Borg-Warner H.D. Overdrive to my Ford Top-Loader 4 Speed:

img12210.jpg

img12310.jpg

This was ca 1968 or so, the combo went into my '65 "K" car, bought new. Most difficult part of the "transfusion" was mating the Top-Loader output shaft to the Warner input. Pulled it off with a welded-in sleeve of high-alloy, having bought an output shaft from Ford, wanting to not destroy my original, just in case. Worked well. Crossed the US with the beast many times. imp