Hey everyone.... im new to this site

sixtyfive

Jan 9, 2004
I got this car from my dad end of last summer and have basically been learning more about engines since :D .... anyways i got a couple pics from the garage where it sits untill the snows gone

Oh and I was also wondering if anyone has a problem with the upper radiator hose leaking where it hooks to the engine, you can see in the second picture where the antifreeze sits

Attachments

• Mvc-011s.jpg
    Mvc-011s.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 221
  • Mvc-017s.jpg
    Mvc-017s.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Sponsors (?)

oh sorry i ment to say it leaks between the like nozzle thing and the engine itself and there is a gasket between the two and the peice was also machined and still leaks out from between the 2 parts.... hose is sealed to the nozzle

Nice car! I thought when I heard you got an old stang from your dad that is sitting in a garage that it would be basket case...NOT.

By they way what is that metal plate riveted to the fender support near the shock tower?

If you mean the little one that is sitting facing up kinda .... That is some kind of id tag that says it came with 289 however many hp stock and then below that it says C-4 transimission.

Dont know if this is normal on all older mustangs? or maby mine was the High output model stock? i dont know oh well thanks guys

Nice car, as for your leak, don't get a chrome water neck, they leak worse than the normal cast waterneck. What you can do is go to Autozone/Checker and pick up a tubeof the Copper High Temperature Gasket seaker.

Then Take off your water neck (should be the two hose clamps and two 1/2" bolts), bruck off the rust and crud buildup the best you can (if you have a wire wheel then use that). Then put a good (not too thick) coat of sealer on the edge water neck (where teh surfaces mate), then some around the corrisponding spot on the block. Allow it to tack up but not harden. Then put the housing back on but not torqued down just tight. Let it sit overnight then finish torqueing it down and reattach the clamps, hoses, and topping off the coolant.

Remember when you take off the hoses you're going to get a gush of collant (if you didn't totally drain it).

I hope this helps you out!

BTW Post more picts of the car :D

Welcome!

First of all, I have the chrome water neck, and it leaks like crazy. Everyone I know has the same problem too.

Second, not to burst your bubble, but just going off of your sig, you do not have "around 390 rwhp". In fact, I'd bet the farm that you don't even have 300. Not trying to be mean, thats just what my experience tells me.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Second, not to burst your bubble, but just going off of your sig, you do not have "around 390 rwhp". In fact, I'd bet the farm that you don't even have 300. Not trying to be mean, thats just what my experience tells me.

Party pooper!!! ;) What'ya mean he aint got 390 rwhp?

Don't listen to Blake, he doesn't even have a farm. :rlaugh:

yeah for what i got in my sig im just going off what i remember i gotta talk to the previous owner and find out some more

and i have heard before that its real hard to get 400 out of a 289 without addons but comparing to my other car in my mind it seems right and my dad said that it was about right, hopefully it dosent snow much more and i can go to the dyno and prove you wronge (crosses fingers)

i did however knock the socks off of a 93 GT 5.0 that is built to about 320 hoarse

And i do have a few more pics but they are **** cause i cant get far enough from the car to get a good picture in that garage

Welcome and nice car. Just one other thing to check, and it sounds stupid I know so don't be insulted, but I have seen folks accidentally lay a new thermostat over the gasket instead of under it, and that will leak no matter what and maybe even crack the stat. Just an FYI.

Also, You should seriously consider getting a fan shroud or your leak will be the least of your cooling problems with all those ponies. ;)