Hey Guys New Here

Kenny jones

Feb 5, 2018
okay so my 95 gt fuel pump went out. Went to local parts store picked one up only had one option to pick from. But anyways. I replaced the pump. Which i have done a few times on friends mustangs. So I’m familiar with it and I got it done in a couple hours well when test driving the car I noticed the car was not as powerful as it was leading to fuel pump going out. I also changed the fuel filter since I was there any ways. Now with noticing the power loss I changed all 8 plugs And still nothing is it possible the new pump is not putting out enough fuel ? I have not done a pressure test yet due to not having the test kit on hand any help or ideas as to what it could be

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome.

Honestly, without doing a fuel pressure test there's not much we can say at the moment. It's possible something is blocking the flow from the install?

Reactions: 1 user
Did the new pump fit easily? Its a long shot, but maybe it is resting on the floor of the tank and obstructing the flow. Only way to know is seeing what PSI its putting out.

Try cleaning the mass air flow sensor. Its not related to the pump, but it never hurts to try that.

PS, welcome to the site.

Did the new pump fit easily? Its a long shot, but maybe it is resting on the floor of the tank and obstructing the flow. Only way to know is seeing what PSI its putting out.

Try cleaning the mass air flow sensor. Its not related to the pump, but it never hurts to try that.

PS, welcome to the site.
Yea I cleaned the the maf also think maybe it was air fuel that was the problem. But from what I found out they used 2 different pumps from coupes to convertible. I guess coupes came with 95 lph. And covertable came with 110 lph pumps. I think the pump is not putting out enough fuel

Yea I cleaned the the maf also think maybe it was air fuel that was the problem. But from what I found out they used 2 different pumps from coupes to convertible. I guess coupes came with 95 lph. And covertable came with 110 lph pumps. I think the pump is not putting out enough fuel
The difference between those two pumps you wouldn't even notice. Depending on the end goal of the car you might want to put something bigger in it like a 190 or 255 lph.

My thoughts are that you should just invest in a fuel pressure gauge 1st. It can be mounted on the test port of the fuel rail that's behind the alternator. This will give you the enough info to know if you are getting the right amount of pressure at the rail.

Reactions: 1 users
The difference between those two pumps you wouldn't even notice. Depending on the end goal of the car you might want to put something bigger in it like a 190 or 255 lph.

My thoughts are that you should just invest in a fuel pressure gauge 1st. It can be mounted on the test port of the fuel rail that's behind the alternator. This will give you the enough info to know if you are getting the right amount of pressure at the rail.
Okay so pressure test came up with 27 to 29 at the rails when hitting throttle little to no movement in gage but I rev the car from the throttle body not inside from pedal since I was by my self. While doing it. If that makes a difference I don’t think it would. So would that be a pressure regulator ?

Do the test the right way and you results may be different...

Check fuel pressure:
The local auto parts store may rent or loan a fuel pressure test gauge if you don't have one.
Disconnect the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator. Check it for evidence of fuel present in the line by removing it and blowing air through it. If you find fuel, the fuel pressure regulator has failed. Reinstall the line; leave the fuel pressure regulator end of the vacuum line disconnected. Then cap or plug the open end of the vacuum line and stow it out of the way.
Connect the fuel pressure test gauge to the Schrader port located just behind the alternator.
Turn the ignition switch on & start the engine. Observe the pressure: you should see 38-41 PSI at idle.
Turn the ignition off; reconnect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Then disconnect the fuel pressure test gauge. Watch out for squirting gas when you do this.

Fuel pump pressure test
Disconnect the larger of the two fuel lines up by the Schrader valve. It is the return line and does not have the Schrader valve on it. Find a piece of rubber fuel hose and clamp it on the return line coming from the regulator. Stick a bolt in the other end of the hose and make sure that all your connections are tight and leak proof as possible. When this powers up, you don't want fuel squirting everywhere. Hook up the fuel pressure test gauge. Turn the ignition switch on and watch for leaks. You may want to use a helper inside the car to cut the switch off quickly if you have a leak. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the Upper RH corner to ground.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68357&stc=1&d=1322348015.gif

Caution!!! You have blocked the return line for the fuel pump! Pressure will rise very quickly past safe levels with a good pump
If the pressure goes up past 55 PSI, the pump is good and the fuel pressure regulator is bad. If the fuel pressure does not hit 55 PSI or more in a few seconds, the pump is bad or you have electrical problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so pressure test came up with 27 to 29 at the rails when hitting throttle little to no movement in gage but I rev the car from the throttle body not inside from pedal since I was by my self. While doing it. If that makes a difference I don’t think it would. So would that be a pressure regulator ?
Do the above test and take the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if you have the right amount of pressure at IDLE (38-41 PSI).

Fuel pressure regulators don't typically go out from what I have seen. It sounds to me like bad pump or pinched fuel line from when you put the tank back in.