Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

Your friends are typical 17 year olds. Rise above them! Find someone to guide you. Father, uncle, etc. Pulling a motor/trans at the junkyard isn't that difficult. Prepare for it and bring tools (metric), hammers, prybars, cordless sawzall is good. Lots of water and one of those cheap pop-up shelters to provide shade if you can. I'm in Santa Rosa, I know how hot American Canyon can get in the summertime!
OK, just saw your newest post.

Have your reliable friend pull the engine and trans together. You can sell the trans for 3 times what you pay for it at the 'yard. Get everything PNP will let you take for the complete engine. Make sure he gets the VAM (Vane Air Meter) and also the electrical connector for it with about 6" of wire so you can splice into your harness. Definitely grab the ECU. It should say LA3 on it. As stated, the rearend and front spindles should be grabbed too. Once you see how quick the car will be with a 2.3T, you'll want to upgrade the suspension and brakes. You'll absolutely love the 4 wheel disc brakes! Your friend needs to move fast. Once word gets out, it'll be stripped in no time!

This will help you with the wiring.....

The 2.3T is basically a bolt in with very minor fabrication. The motors are normally bulletproof. You can do this!
VAM (Vane Air Meter) What is that? and were is that aswell as were is the ecu located?

• Sponsors (?)

The VAM meters and controls the amount of air that enters the throttle body. It goes through the turbo first. It's the box circled between the 2 hoses. This was on my '86 TC and it was mounted on it's side and modified. On your junkyard '88 it will be between the turbo and the airbox. You can also see the electrical connector in the pic.........

circled VAM.jpg

The ECU is located behind the passenger side kick panel in the interior. Just pop off the kick panel and you'll see it.

s-l400.jpg

I don't understand the guy being too busy?
You pulled it right???
yea, the guy was in a rush to go home, they close at 6 and they let us stay till 6:30 i couldn't get there earlier because school gets out at 3:30 and i work till 6:00 so that's why i had my friend help pull it, so currently its sitting by the door on the gantry and im gonna go buy it tomarrow when they open at 9:00 and then go snag the ecu and whatever else i missed, i dident grab the harness just whatever was attached to the engine (oil lines piping and other baloney) and i dident grab the tranney because im tight on funds

they were gonna charge me $250 because of the accessory's so ill go back tomorrow and take them all off so it comes down to $150

there having a 50% off everything sale so ill be paying $115 for the engine Plus a $50 core charge and when i swap engines ill just swap all the accessories from the NA to the TC engine

Outstanding! That was gonna be my suggestion! You've done good grasshopper.
yea! i just got done doing the initial inspection, i forgot to pull the connecter for the VAM unit, and someone took the ECU what dose the VAM even do anyway? and i realized i have no way to start it, someone bought the transmission right after we left, i was able to make it out with a starter and an oil cap... i dismantled the whole right side of the engine today, to asses which hoses and hard lines need to be replaced, turbo is not seized and cam looks good... tomorrow im gonna drain the oil and inspect the crank and rods and see if there's any abnormalities that i can see, as well as clean the block and pull off the injector wiring and see if there's anything i need to do to it. and ill borrow a bore scope and see if the piston head and cylinder walls are okay also

The VAM (vane air flow meter) measures the air flow into the engine so the computer can calculate the correct amount of fuel to inject.
You either have to use the VAM, convert to Mass Air (not many people do this) or convert to speed density with an aftermarket computer (most common when ditching the VAM).

You'll need a VAM and ECU. Did you look at the odometer on the car? That'll give you an idea how many miles are on the engine. Forget the bore scope. Pull the head so you can bet a good look at the underside of the head and all four cylinders. If it's under 150k miles and the cylinders don't look too bad, you can probably get away with a seal-n-shine. New freeze plugs, all new gaskets, new timing belt, etc. Maybe throw in new bearings and an oil pump. Concentrate on the head. Have it magnafluxed for cracks, knurl the guides, valve job, seals, etc. While you're out looking for a roller cam for your N/A 2.3, grab one for your turbo motor also.

You'll need a VAM and ECU. Did you look at the odometer on the car? That'll give you an idea how many miles are on the engine. Forget the bore scope. Pull the head so you can bet a good look at the underside of the head and all four cylinders. If it's under 150k miles and the cylinders don't look too bad, you can probably get away with a seal-n-shine. New freeze plugs, all new gaskets, new timing belt, etc. Maybe throw in new bearings and an oil pump. Concentrate on the head. Have it magnafluxed for cracks, knurl the guides, valve job, seals, etc. While you're out looking for a roller cam for your N/A 2.3, grab one for your turbo motor also.
the engine has 283000 miles on it, and i did an inspection of the bottom end and i did notice i could move the connecting rod on the crank a little bit on all four pistons. tomorrow im going to pull the head and look it over figured it would be easier and more beneficial since i plan to change head gaskets anyway. aswell as make a trip to pick n pull again and see if i can salvage any missing hard were from when we pulled the motor

Reactions: 1 user
another thing im concerned about is setting up the tc engine in my car, do i need to pull the whole harness out of the tc and put it in mine? or will what i already have in my car work and when i get the vam connecter how should i connect it to my harness if i can use my current one?

heres some pics of the block, i stripped it down over the weekend, i want to see if i can acid dip and resurface the block to make it good as new ish the cylinder walls still have there crosshatching and the pistons look brand new once you clean them.. the coolant passageways are all gunched up with solidified coolant or rust so i want to figure a way to flush it (also included pics of the vam and airbox before i separated them Ashwell as intercooler and dont worry, i have cleaned them)

there is oil in the vam which most likely isent a good thing so tomorrow ill pull apart the turbo to go over it and write down what needs to be replaced or repaired and check for play.

Attachments

• 20220528_193329.jpg
    20220528_193329.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220530_133014.jpg
    20220530_133014.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220530_171656.jpg
    20220530_171656.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220530_175021.jpg
    20220530_175021.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220528_134213.jpg
    20220528_134213.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220528_134146.jpg
    20220528_134146.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220529_134448.jpg
    20220529_134448.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
another thing im concerned about is setting up the tc engine in my car, do i need to pull the whole harness out of the tc and put it in mine? or will what i already have in my car work and when i get the vam connecter how should i connect it to my harness if i can use my current one?
You can use your existing Mustang harness. There're only 4 wires from the VAM connector that need to be spliced into your Mustang harness. I sent you the link to Stinger's site last week. Read it. It's pretty simple.

Also, with almost 300k miles a rebuild would be in order however..........by the looks of the pics and if you want to go cheap.......give it a valve job and a seal-n-shine, drop it in and drive the crap outta it!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users