Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

• Sponsors (?)

I know of a 87 turbocoupe in a junkyard over in south Jersey. It looked pretty much complete, it even had the original top mount on intercooler. Probably still has the puter. It's a super easy swap, add a map sensor, repin a few wires and add a couple wires and you're in business with over 200 ponies or more depending on boost.

I know of a 87 turbocoupe in a junkyard over in south Jersey. It looked pretty much complete, it even had the original top mount on intercooler. Probably still has the puter. It's a super easy swap, add a map sensor, repin a few wires and add a couple wires and you're in business with over 200 ponies or more depending on boost.
bad ass man! i wish i had the cash to come out there and buy it, but im from nor cal so it would be way too far

Was that out in Jackson area?

with what gas costs, IMO, toss a roller cam and followers in it if you don't already have it, fix the factory airbox/ air valve, and drive it as-is.

I don't know on the pre 1990 cars but my 91-93 cars all had a factory airbox with a vacuum operated valve, that opened a passage to the metal tube that runs down to the exhaust manifold. It allows HOT air to get into the airbox, which makes a sizeable improvement in MPG. I put a cold air on it and it did nothing but make a tiny bit more noise, and significantly reduced mpg overall. No more power. At all. If it went from 112 hp to 113, it's still slow and not worthwhile.

with what gas costs, IMO, toss a roller cam and followers in it if you don't already have it, fix the factory airbox/ air valve, and drive it as-is.

I don't know on the pre 1990 cars but my 91-93 cars all had a factory airbox with a vacuum operated valve, that opened a passage to the metal tube that runs down to the exhaust manifold. It allows HOT air to get into the airbox, which makes a sizeable improvement in MPG. I put a cold air on it and it did nothing but make a tiny bit more noise, and significantly reduced mpg overall. No more power. At all. If it went from 112 hp to 113, it's still slow and not worthwhile.
yes my car has that heat tube and airbox configuration, and i plan to get a cam tomarrow! and thanks for the advice

All turbocoupes have slider cams.
unfortunately i found that out after we took the whole engine apart :(

and some guy comes out and buys all the ranger motors and re-builds and re-sells them i guess so the turbo coupe was the only 2.3 car out there

we got as far as pulling the intake and valve cover off, found out it was a slider cam, unbolted the turbo lines and exhaust manifold, then realised we forgot the large adjustable wrench for the copper pipe that runs behind/over the back of the block and i was exhausted from standing in the 90*F heat so i called it a day and went home

do you guys think it would have been worth pulling the turbo or not really

unfortunately i found that out after we took the whole engine apart :(

and some guy comes out and buys all the ranger motors and re-builds and re-sells them i guess so the turbo coupe was the only 2.3 car out there

we got as far as pulling the intake and valve cover off, found out it was a slider cam, unbolted the turbo lines and exhaust manifold, then realised we forgot the large adjustable wrench for the copper pipe that runs behind/over the back of the block and i was exhausted from standing in the 90*F heat so i called it a day and went home

do you guys think it would have been worth pulling the turbo or not really

Dude.....screw the roller cam! Get back over there and yank the entire 2.3T, T5 trans and LA3 ECU! You can also pull the 8.8 (which has 3.55's and rear disc brakes) along with the front spindles (which you can then upgrade to 11" rotors and 73mm calipers). I've done all of that to my avatar Mustang. That '88 TC is a treasure trove of parts for your Mustang and they just don't come up anymore! Plus the car came into the yard last week so it's probably untouched (at least for now). Rest assured.....the guy who buys up all the Ranger motors is gonna jump all over that TC as soon as he sees it!
This sir.....is an opportunity!

Reactions: 1 users
Dude.....screw the roller cam! Get back over there and yank the entire 2.3T, T5 trans and LA3 ECU! You can also pull the 8.8 (which has 3.55's and rear disc brakes) along with the front spindles (which you can then upgrade to 11" rotors and 73mm calipers). I've done all of that to my avatar Mustang. That '88 TC is a treasure trove of parts for your Mustang and they just don't come up anymore! Plus the car came into the yard last week so it's probably untouched (at least for now). Rest assured.....the guy who buys up all the Ranger motors is gonna jump all over that TC as soon as he sees it!
man your right, i cant bring myself to spend all that time on it, aswell as money, but i totaly should

it would be $232 for the complete engine and im debating on getting it now... we don't know if the engine turns over or if the turbo is seised,
If I read correctly it is a 84 TC correct? If so it will be the T3 turbo. Worth pulling if it is not seized.
Even the smaller IHI turbos on 87-88 TCs would be doable with your goals.
its a 1988 ford turbo coupe we attempted to unbolt the exhaust manifold but gave up due to lack of tools, the whole engine was un touched, now all the bolts are missing, one of my freinds kept throwing bolts across the yard aswell as intake and valve cover

i also have no clue what i would need to make it happen, iv never pulled an engine before and if i did i wouldn't know what's necessary to take but i want too, you guys are motivating me but i feel like i need somone to look over my shoulder to help out... my freinds are no good they just wanted to pull it all apart and buy the whole car basicly, then they deciced to put bolts down the intake since i wasent buying the whole engine, so i cant even check it it turns over

new plan, sending my reliable freind out to pull the motor, what dose he need to make the engine work in my car, i already have the t5 trans in my car so i dont think i need the tranny

Your friends are typical 17 year olds. Rise above them! Find someone to guide you. Father, uncle, etc. Pulling a motor/trans at the junkyard isn't that difficult. Prepare for it and bring tools (metric), hammers, prybars, cordless sawzall is good. Lots of water and one of those cheap pop-up shelters to provide shade if you can. I'm in Santa Rosa, I know how hot American Canyon can get in the summertime!
OK, just saw your newest post.

Have your reliable friend pull the engine and trans together. You can sell the trans for 3 times what you pay for it at the 'yard. Get everything PNP will let you take for the complete engine. Make sure he gets the VAM (Vane Air Meter) and also the electrical connector for it with about 6" of wire so you can splice into your harness. Definitely grab the ECU. It should say LA3 on it. As stated, the rearend and front spindles should be grabbed too. Once you see how quick the car will be with a 2.3T, you'll want to upgrade the suspension and brakes. You'll absolutely love the 4 wheel disc brakes! Your friend needs to move fast. Once word gets out, it'll be stripped in no time!

This will help you with the wiring.....

The 2.3T is basically a bolt in with very minor fabrication. The motors are normally bulletproof. You can do this!

Reactions: 1 users