Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

BAR will eyeball the whole car. Like I said, they're very thorough. They looked underneath to check the serial #'s on my CAT to make sure it belonged to a Merkur, verified that my CEL was working, verified the EGR was working and had the proper delay valve for a Merkur installed and even ran their own smog test to make sure it sniffed clean. I even swapped the label on the ECU in case they looked at the computer but they didn't pull the kick panel to check. It's a lot but it's best to do it right.
yuck, i have no clue what the CEL is, and couldent i say its from a thunder bird instead of a mekur? since its the same family and it came turbo charged?

• Sponsors (?)

yuck, i have no clue what the CEL is, and couldent i say its from a thunder bird instead of a mekur? since its the same family and it came turbo charged?
I'm sorry.....my bad! Yes, you can tell them it's from an '88 Turbo Coupe! I was thinking of my '89 Mustang. I couldn't say 88TC because that's older than my '89. My only option was '89 Merkur.
CEL = Check Engine Light. I had to make my own 'cause of the custom gauge cluster.

P5230008.jpg

I'm sorry.....my bad! Yes, you can tell them it's from an '88 Turbo Coupe! I was thinking of my '89 Mustang. I couldn't say 88TC because that's older than my '89. My only option was '89 Merkur.
CEL = Check Engine Light. I had to make my own 'cause of the custom gauge cluster.

P5230008.jpg
ahhh okay thanks, and how do i tell if my CEL works... i have never seen it come on besides when i turn the car to the on possition and it lights up for a second or two then shuts off when its running and do i need to have the information lights working too? gas light washer fluid etc?

There is a number or page to seek help with what is needed to register/drive older cars.

your CEL comes on when the key is turned to the on or run position without starting the car, this will 'test' the 'trouble lights' aka 'warning lights', some light up briefly some stay on until the engine is started.

sweet, im in a bit of a dilemma, i want to buy the ring kit online, but i already had the guy at the shop measure and source the piston rings (he wants to charge $122 for just rings) i know he has to make money but its gonna be more than im looking to spend.

true true, but I am a kid who is trying to save, either way ill probably just go with whatever comes first.

Another thing!
I'm going to take the head in to get looked at, check out the seats and stuff. I stripped it all the way down to just head, cam bearings, and valve guides and the exhaust valves and intake valves had a hell of a lot of carbon built up, I took a wire wheel to it and got about 98% of it off making sure to stay away from the seat due to fear of making a costly mistake. I wanted to do the same to the combustion chamber but I am worried I'm going to mess somthing up somehow so I'm goin to hold off a little bit again in fear of ruining the head-block mating surface until I get some advice from someone whos done this before.

lastly I am considering "porting" my head, or at least gasket matching/ port matched but I have a slight fear its going to cost a little too much. if its a "reasonable price" I most likely will get it done just because I'll never have a better chance than now. Before i do go in and question the guy about it, any advice from you folks about porting or polishing or somthing?

P.S.
how can i check for cracks in the head without Magnafluxing it? can I flip and fill the combustion chamber with water(or oil) to see if it seals? not sure if that's proper or not, just saw some Indian guys in the internet do that for some reason

P.P.S.
Evintho, what kind of performance "upgrades" do you have again? Asking because I was thinking about hopping up my motor with some Big R stuff like their stage one T3 upgrade and their Ranger X performance cam ( I messaged them and they said I might be able to get away with smog with the Ranger X cam with California smog standards, worst comes to worse I'll just put a stock cam in once every two years )

P.P.P.S.
what turbo do I have? IHI or T3? and which is better? id rather buy a t3 because its a bit cheaper than the rebuilt IHI Turbo (pricing is entirely based off big R motorsports, im a little too tight on fund for Boport or Stinger stuff)

Last edited:
You do not really need to port the head with a turbo
You can check the valve job yourself with an assembled head using brakleen or similar to see if the valves are sealed
Those old turbo 2.3s used to be hard on exhaust valves (burnt or the metal mites)
You will do no damage with a wire wheel cleaning the carbon from the combustion chamber
Good luck
I would just buy quality sealed power or federal mogul rings online (ebay) and shop around for the best price once you have a part number

What he said ^^^!
I bought my shortblock from MDS Racing in Texas so it's built. .030 over, Wiseco pistons, Crower rodsI balanced/blueprinted, etc. Got my head from BoPort (before he was famous) so I got it for cheap. It's ported/polished w/ bigger valves, bronze guides, etc. I'm running a stock T3 and a Ranger roller cam, Bob's log exhaust manifold, gutted/rotated upper and ported lower intake with full 3" exhaust. My butt dyno says well north of 300 hp.
With that said, the first thing you should do is have your head magged! It's not that expensive. Other than a turbo, headwork is the key to performance with these motors. You don't wanna sink money into a casting that's junk! You have an IHI turbo. If you do go to a new turbo, opt for a T3. Chip's prices for the Stage 1 T3 upgrade look pretty good!