Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

SWEET, thanks for the advice, im going to take the head down to the machine shop right now and get it worked on. Im trying to crack open thr turbo right now, ill send you pictures and stuff in about an hour!
20221028_124446.jpg
20221028_124442.jpg
20221028_124435.jpg
20221028_124430.jpg
20221028_124421.jpg
20221028_124349.jpg
20221028_124410.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yep.....that's toast. Watch Ebay and some of the 2.3 turbo forums for another head but they're few and far between. Bo wants $2200 for one of his loaded heads.....that's probably out of your price range. I would call or email both Bo and Stinger, tell them your dilemma and ask for their advice. Both Bo and Shannon are stand up guys and will steer you in the right direction.

Yep.....that's toast. Watch Ebay and some of the 2.3 turbo forums for another head but they're few and far between. Bo wants $2200 for one of his loaded heads.....that's probably out of your price range. I would call or email both Bo and Stinger, tell them your dilemma and ask for their advice. Both Bo and Shannon are stand up guys and will steer you in the right direction.
thanks for the advice, will do!

Yeah, that's a generic picture at the AZ website showing a N/A 2.3 head, although it is the right part # for a turbo head.

Further research shows AZ gets their heads from American Cylinder Head out of Oakland.

ACH's website shows the correct turbo head with the D shaped combustion chambers and ports. You may want to call them and check their prices against AZ. Also, their website mentions head repair. Not sure if your head is repairable or not but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Just offering up some options.

Yeah, that's a generic picture at the AZ website showing a N/A 2.3 head, although it is the right part # for a turbo head.

Further research shows AZ gets their heads from American Cylinder Head out of Oakland.

ACH's website shows the correct turbo head with the D shaped combustion chambers and ports. You may want to call them and check their prices against AZ. Also, their website mentions head repair. Not sure if your head is repairable or not but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Just offering up some options.
thanks guys! ill give them a call when i get out of class, i also have a small side project goin on while i save up for the head, im rebuilding a 1984 suzuki dr100 that a freind gave me... the parts for that thing that i actualy need are harder to find than a remanufactured head haha

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I got an update for you all, Im getting the head rebuilt at American cylinder head, I guess they're going to do their magic and fix the cracks, lap the valves, new valves, springs, and such, Im going to hop on the phone with someone at big r and talk about cam stuff and then hopefully make a decision on what cam im getting, Im also going to see if I can get the shop to install Boports hardened exhaust seats if I can get them to them before they fix the valves

Hey guys, I got an update for you all, Im getting the head rebuilt at American cylinder head, I guess they're going to do their magic and fix the cracks, lap the valves, new valves, springs, and such, Im going to hop on the phone with someone at big r and talk about cam stuff and then hopefully make a decision on what cam im getting, Im also going to see if I can get the shop to install Boports hardened exhaust seats if I can get them to them before they fix the valves
P.S. I got off the phone with chip from Big R motorsports and he gave me a ton of useful info, but I have a question some of you guys may be able to help me with, ill be doing a cam swap and ill be getting new lifters, chip recommended I get lifters with a wider oil band so I dont risk oil starvation, AutoZone sells the lifters that I need but they say 0.060" oversize length. I'm not sure what that means, besides somthing is bigger, if anyone has any info please share!

The oversized length means they will accommodate the valves being sunk into the head .060
When doing a valve job, you grind the seat, that lowers the valve in the head
Great. It's about time they came up with something for the 2.3's

sick! also I got some stronger valve springs for the head, and the cylinder head company will be installing some hardened seats for me as well once i get the head back ill be buying lifters and sliders and the rest of the junk for the head

I also had a question do you guys think it would be a good idea to invest in a high-volume oil pump as well? iv had a few freinds say i should and some say that I probably dont need one, what o you guys think?

That's a big NO on the high volume pump! You want a Melling M86E regular pump. The high volume pump puts too much stress on the already weak shaft and distributor gear. This has been well documented over the years on TurboFord.

That's a big NO on the high volume pump! You want a Melling M86E regular pump. The high volume pump puts too much stress on the already weak shaft and distributor gear. This has been well documented over the years on TurboFord.
sweet! more i can save!

I noticed the shaft between the distributor gear and the oil pump looked like it was an 8mm hex key without the bend haha

also in your opinion, do you think I could get away with leaving the oil pump that came with the engine in? or would it be best to replace it anyway

Your motor probably has 200K miles on it. Just like the heart pumps life giving blood through the body, the oil pump pumps life giving oil through the engine. Spend the $80 and buy a new pump. Grab a new pump shaft also. Just good insurance.

Your motor probably has 200K miles on it. Just like the heart pumps life giving blood through the body, the oil pump pumps life giving oil through the engine. Spend the $80 and buy a new pump. Grab a new pump shaft also. Just good insurance.
Haha.... *caugh *caugh 290,000 miles

Thanks tho! And yea i kinda figured $80 or another $800 down the road... i wonder if i can use a allen wrench instead of an actual pump shaft... just kidding

To each his own
I run HV pumps in all my builds
You must not understand the function of the oil pressure relief valve?
Or have a malfunctioning pressure relief valve if you are twisting oil pump drive shafts
If your oil pump seizes is when you'll twist a shaft, not by running 80 lbs. of oil pressure cold