Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

This guy opened up and polished his chambers on a N/A head and put it on his 2.3T motor. He said he opened it up to 67cc's and that gave him a 7.6 compression ratio.

PortedHead.jpg
hmm i hope they do me right, ill check with them and see if they know what their doing, im taking the head to them friday

• Sponsors (?)

Guys, I have started the assembly process on the turbo 2.3! right now I only have the parts for the short block, but it's going pretty smooth, I have the crank and bearings in place, not sure if the main cap bolts are Torque-to-yield like the head bolts are, but tomorrow when I get the oil pump ill tighten it all down unless I need new main cap bolts. I also don't know how I'm supposed to set the piston ring gaps/orientation. my repair manual is for 1979-1993 Mustangs and doesn't really crack down on 2.3 turbo specifics much less anything under the head gasket so I'm at the internet's mercy when it comes to technical information. if anyone has torque specs for me that would be great!

Ring gaps are 0.015-0.020. Set your ring in the bore, square it with a piston and push it down about an inch, then take your ring gap. This is on my 5.0 but it gives you an idea.......

ring gap.JPG

With rings installed on the piston, stagger the gaps. Top ring at 12 o'clock, 2nd ring at around 4 o'clock and oil ring around 8 o'clock.

Main bolts are NOT torque-to-yield so you're good there. Torque the mains in two stages. Go to 60 lbs the first time then go to 85 lbs the final time. Same with the rod bolts. Two stages. 25 lbs the first time then 36 lbs the final time.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Ring gaps are 0.015-0.020. Set your ring in the bore, square it with a piston and push it down about an inch, then take your ring gap. This is on my 5.0 but it gives you an idea.......

ring gap.JPG

With rings installed on the piston, stagger the gaps. Top ring at 12 o'clock, 2nd ring at around 4 o'clock and oil ring around 8 o'clock.

Main bolts are NOT torque-to-yield so you're good there. Torque the mains in two stages. Go to 60 lbs the first time then go to 85 lbs the final time. Same with the rod bolts. Two stages. 25 lbs the first time then 36 lbs the final time.
thanks!! puting it together now

and should All rings should be in that same tolerance?

my oiler rings are reading .035+ and the wafer ring is too small for the cylinder unless you spread it open
my 2nd ring is reading 0.018 , 0.018, 0.018, 0.018
my 1st ring is reading 0.016 , 0.016, 0.016, 0.018

I Also don't know Wich direction my pistons face, there's an arrow on the head of each one, im assuming to have them point forward?

Last edited:
Also my new wafer ring is different than my old wafer ring.. you guys see an issue with what iv disclosed to you all or nah its fine, slap it together (carefully)

Attachments

• 20230410_184441.jpg
    20230410_184441.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230410_184307.jpg
    20230410_184307.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230410_184338.jpg
    20230410_184338.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 28
You're all good. Sounds like all the rings are within tolerances. That Hastings part # comes back for an '87-'88 Turbo Coupe and yes, the piston arrows should point towards the front of the block. Button 'er up!
Any news on your head?

Last edited:
You're all good. Sounds like all the rings are within tolerances. That Hastings part # comes back for an '87-'88 Turbo Coupe and yes, the piston arrows should point towards the front of the block. Button 'er up!
Any news on your head?
yep!, I got everything all buttoned up crank, main bearings main caps, pistons, rings, rod bearings, and oil pump all torqued down. i got a gasket set coming in the mail today for the front main seal / timing cover and I should be able to button up the bottom end by tonight! I lubed evrything with 10w-40 mixed with some STP and I used assembly lube in combination on all the bearings and crank surfaces

No news on the head yet I'm going to check in with the place and see if they have any news, I'm hoping its ready by the end of the week ( my dad wants to paint the engine dark ford blue)
I have three different chamber sizes to chose from, 61cc , 62.55 and 67cc BoPort said stock size is 61, the website i linked in a previous post said 62.55cc and the guy who did it prior to me on this forum said 67cc

Reactions: 1 user
i got an 1987 2.3 manual hatch!
im having trouble keeping up with traffic and going up hills... a little powerless at times any cheap performance mods i can do?
Swap n motor n trans from a rusted out turbo coupe...with a 3" pass side STINGER exhaust pipe. Use the T-coupe ecu n repin your hareness to use it.You'll have to add a 2nd ACT circuit also and grab the big VAM n E6 exhaust manifold from the T-coupe. I used a repinned MERKUR XR4Ti s.a hareness in my 93 lx with the rebuilt 84 GT T 2.3 engine n T5 trans.It's a BLAST !

Last edited:
Swap n motor n trans from a rusted out turbo coupe...with a 3" pass side STINGER exhaust pipe. Use the T-coupe ecu n repin your hareness to use it.You'll have to add a 2nd ACT circuit also and grab the big VAM n E6 exhaust manifold from the T-coupe. I used a repinned MERKUR XR4Ti s.a hareness in my 93 lx with the rebuilt 84 GT T 2.3 engine n T5 trans.It's a BLAST !
bro, I almost did that, then I decided to just buy the whole motor because it was 50% off, and do a full rebuild, I am definitely going to need help with the wiring when I'm done building the motor since electricity and sensors are not my forte I have a VAM, im on the hunt for an affordable ECU and a VAM connecter so I can have what I need to make the engine work with my current 2.3 harness I'm buying a new high flow t3 exhaust manifold because the one that came with my motor was cracked.. so figure why not upgrade while im at it? I plan to do a whole 3" exhaust with a sick muffler of some sort, but thats after I get the thing running and in my car and all wired up. I plan to take this thing to the drag strip, I read that the 88 TC ran 15.5 in the 1/4 mile so im hoping that since im putting the same motor in a lighter car, with more power I get to run at least that time.

Last edited:
bro, I almost did that, then I decided to just buy the whole motor because it was 50% off, and do a full rebuild, I am definitely going to need help with the wiring when I'm done building the motor since electricity and sensors are not my forte I have a VAM, im on the hunt for an affordable ECU and a VAM connecter so I can have what I need to make the engine work with my current 2.3 harness I'm buying a new high flow t3 exhaust manifold because the one that came with my motor was cracked.. so figure why not upgrade while im at it? I plan to do a whole 3" exhaust with a sick muffler of some sort, but thats after I get the thing running and in my car and all wired up. I plan to take this thing to the drag strip, I read that the 88 TC ran 15.5 in the 1/4 mile so im hoping that since im putting the same motor in a lighter car, with more power I get to run at least that time.
https://www.stinger-performance.com/store/index.php?route=common/home https://bigrmotorsports.com/ are the IN THE KNOW sources... repin guide

Attachments

• 50795473_2606971972654224_7460226724203069440_n.jpg
    50795473_2606971972654224_7460226724203069440_n.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
RANGER roller cams are a great upgrade also..get ahold of CHIP at BIG R or SHANNON at STINGER & tell them your goals

also when you go to fire it up mix some 2 stroke oil in with the gas in the tank....mine fired on the 1st crank n ran on the 2nd crank...are you using the brown or green injectors ?...Also what VAM are u using there are diff sizes ?

Last edited:
also when you go to fire it up mix some 2 stroke oil in with the gas in the tank....mine fired on the 1st crank n ran on the 2nd crank...are you using the brown or green injectors ?...Also what VAM are u using there are diff sizes ?
im 75% sure im using brown injectors, ill have to measure the VAM for you when I get home, but the engines out of an 88' turbo coupe if it helps and it says BOSCH on the side, and will do with the two stroke gas, I have a lil 5oz container ill just pour in the tank

look at that 2nd parts chart I posted ..it will tell you what size VAM you have...I'm THINKN from what u said its the BIG one... The 1st chart tells u which pins "wire" must be moved & to where it also tells you which ones must be added and to where

Last edited: