Horse Power Gains?

When I first started dragging my 87 LX,I went from a 14.20 first pass to a 13.56 with out changing a thing. I learned to drive the car. Played with shift points,launch rpm to see what it liked. Set of slicks and the car ran 13.20. So,years ago a buddy did a HCI swap on his lx,and the car just wasnt running the numbers it should. He wanted me to drive it,and I warned him I would not be nice to it. I got in,set the seat up so I wasn't gangster leaning and proceeded to rip off a pass that was 6TENTHS faster than he ever went. Driving skill can make a BIG difference in the times a car will run.

• Sponsors (?)

I think the track heat would match your cam better but I don't think that's what limiting you. Also, maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but injectors do not add HP, they only support it. You're good with those 24# injectors until you add more cubes or boost.

Have you had your car on the dyno? Have a computer tune? I agree with the others, you should be faster with what you already have. My $.02, make what you have work before you start throwing parts and money at it and still have an under performing vehicle. Have a slip you can post up? Lets see your car!
I just got my car back. I sold it back in 2016 for my daughters college payments. So I'm not throwing a bunch of stuff at it. Yes I do know that the injectors don't make more power. Never dyno, or computer tune. I raced in Pro E.T bracket racing alot for 7 years. It's not that important to me to run in the 12's, it is bracket racing. It's how good you are, not how fast. It would be cool to get into the 12's, I wouldn't complain. The car would always run 13.1 to 13.3 depending on conditions, no matter what you did to it . Launch, shift point etc... The person I bought it back from put skinnys on the front, and got rid of the full exhaust. The exhaust is no cats now, just h-pipe to slp mufflers. So it will probably pick up some from when I had it. I threw my piles of time slips out when I sold it. I think there's an old one on here I'll try to find it. I totally agree. I'm not throwing a bunch of parts and money into it. That was what my original question was about. The guy at the track saying F-cam, 30#injectors, track heat intake is going to give me these big gains. I don't believe it.
I'm just going to have fun racing with it for a few years the way it is. When the time comes to go faster, it will be a totally different engine build, C-4 trans. High 10 second to mid 11 car. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
What is your launch, shift and trap RPM? If none are over 5500 rpm, no real need for an intake that goes higher.
I use to launch at about 4500 rpm. shift light set 5600 rpm . trap rpm was higher than 5600. not sure exact number . shift light would come on before the finish line. guesiing 5800-5900?

When I first started dragging my 87 LX,I went from a 14.20 first pass to a 13.56 with out changing a thing. I learned to drive the car. Played with shift points,launch rpm to see what it liked. Set of slicks and the car ran 13.20. So,years ago a buddy did a HCI swap on his lx,and the car just wasnt running the numbers it should. He wanted me to drive it,and I warned him I would not be nice to it. I got in,set the seat up so I wasn't gangster leaning and proceeded to rip off a pass that was 6TENTHS faster than he ever went. Driving skill can make a BIG difference in the times a car will run.
Sounds like you can drive!

OK. Here's a time slip I found on here from 2007. I believe the rings had finally started to seat in the new crate motor I had bought.
Reaction........ .094
60'................ 1.889
330'.............. 5.531
MPH1............81.73
660'.............. 8.581
1000'.............. 11.204
MPH2............ 102.19
1320'............ 13.417

From then on. I would dial 13.2-13.3 range. Thats what it always ran. Full interior car, no weight reduction.

Last edited:
OK. Here's a time slip I found on here from 2007. I believe the rings had finally started to seat in the new crate motor I had bought.
Reaction........ .094
60'................ 1.889
330'.............. 5.531
MPH1............81.73
660'.............. 8.581
1000'.............. 11.204
MPH2............ 102.19
1320'............ 13.417

From then on. I would dial 13.2-13.3 range. Thats what it always ran. Full interior car, no weight reduction.
Do yo run a full slick? The 60ft time is poor.

Whoops! I guess it would help if I put what I have for a motor etc....
Ford Racing M-6007-XB3M 5.0 Crate Motor/ 345 flywheel hp / B-303 cam / 24# injectors / Edelbrock Perfomer Intake / Stock air box K&N Panel filter / Throttle body is 70 or 75 mm (can't remember at the moment) /
I skimmed through this thread and probably missed some stuff but....

The only thing I'd add to this combo is boost, fuel, and tune. {Any} amount of boost is going to make this combo say hello. Yeah, the B-cam is a bit out of date but responds very well to boost.

It would probably scare the :poo: of you until you got the suspension reeled in. :D

I skimmed through this thread and probably missed some stuff but....

The only thing I'd add to this combo is boost, fuel, and tune. {Any} amount of boost is going to make this combo say hello. Yeah, the B-cam is a bit out of date but responds very well to boost.

It would probably scare the :poo: of you until you got the suspension reeled in. :D
Thanks! I've looked into superchargers for sure! How could the stock bottom end take was my concern.
I think a kit from Vortec averages for about $3500.00. I think I can get a beefed up Ford Racing or Dart 347 bottom end for that price. And then supercharge that latter on! Well thats a little ways down the road!

Thanks! I've looked into superchargers for sure! How could the stock bottom end take was my concern.
I think a kit from Vortec averages for about $3500.00. I think I can get a beefed up Ford Racing or Dart 347 bottom end for that price. And then supercharge that latter on! Well thats a little ways down the road!
That's certainly an option, however, the SC can be used on either/both. :O_o:

400+ RWHP in these little cars will take you some time and money to get under control chassis/suspension-wise.

You’re 15-2000 shy of a dart or boss short block. Things aren’t cheap these days

I use to launch at about 4500 rpm. shift light set 5600 rpm . trap rpm was higher than 5600. not sure exact number . shift light would come on before the finish line. guesiing 5800-5900?
Maybe a 4.10 gear would get you through the traps at a slightly lower rpm to where you're still pulling in 4th gear and trap in the low-mid 5k rpm range? I doubt you're still accelerating much at 5,800 rpms.

Maybe a 4.10 gear would get you through the traps at a slightly lower rpm to where you're still pulling in 4th gear and trap in the low-mid 5k rpm range? I doubt you're still accelerating much at 5,800 rpms.
I had 3:73's which worked great with the original T-5 transmission( 3:35 first gear) I then got a T-5z because the other transmission had issues. The T-5z has a 2:95 first gear and it bogged bad. I was going to go with the 4:10's, but my mechanic said I really wouldn't feel the difference. And to go with the 4:30's that I have now, and if they were to tall of a ratio, I could run a taller tire to compensate. He was a former drag racer. I wish he was still in business. He use to give such great prices on any work on the car. Looking ahead, I would eventually like to get c-clip eliminators, spool, and at that time, I would have 4:10's put in.
Thank you!

I think the track heat would match your cam better but I don't think that's what limiting you. Also, maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but injectors do not add HP, they only support it. You're good with those 24# injectors until you add more cubes or boost.

Have you had your car on the dyno? Have a computer tune? I agree with the others, you should be faster with what you already have. My $.02, make what you have work before you start throwing parts and money at it and still have an under performing vehicle. Have a slip you can post up? Lets see your car!
Did 2 runs last weekend trying to be consistent, not for fastest run, for up coming bracket racing events.
My tach will give me peak rpm. It was 6200 and 6250 rpm. Close to the fuel shut off.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    405.9 KB · Views: 67
You should be in the 12's now and the combo your fellow racer mentioned probably wouldn't gain you anything over your current setup. What rear tires? play with the tire pressure a bit, unbolt one side of your front swaybar for more weight transfer while at the track and practice.