Horse Power Gains?

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
I use my car strictly for drag racing. I was told by a fellow racer at the track, that if I put a F303 cam in, a Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, 30 lb injectors, 75mm throttle body, I would run 12.4 et all day. My car runs 13.1 to 13.3
Sounds like big gains from just a cam, intake, and injectors. I don't think so? What do all of you think?
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Whoops! I guess it would help if I put what I have for a motor etc....
Ford Racing M-6007-XB3M 5.0 Crate Motor/ 345 flywheel hp / B-303 cam / 24# injectors / Edelbrock Perfomer Intake / Stock air box K&N Panel filter / Throttle body is 70 or 75 mm (can't remember at the moment) /

In that case, with suspension work you should be able to run 12s now. It’s all about weight transfer and hooking.

but for the engine combo, I would do a different cam. At that level of mod, I would invest in a good custom grind cam and matching spring set.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
On stock heads? Doubtful

edit: not without a lot of suspension setup, weight removal, and driver skill.
After market upper and lower control arms, 4:30 gears, Detroit Locker, 31 spline Moser axles, Lakewood drag shocks, only weight removal is front bumper fog light bar, about 13-18 lbs., full interior, T-5z Tremec manual transmission. Been drag racing for years. Weld rear wheels with Hoosier slicks, skinnys in front

In that case, with suspension work you should be able to run 12s now. It’s all about weight transfer and hooking.

but for the engine combo, I would do a different cam. At that level of mod, I would invest in a good custom grind cam and matching spring set.
Thanks for the info. I had sold my car back in 2016. I just bought it back. I forgot to mention fiberglass hood for weight reduction. The guy that had bought it was 300 plus pounds, I'm 165 pounds. He ran 13.10 et. he said I should be breaking into the the 12's now.

Get the SFCs with seat mount braces and check the floor for cracks by the rear seat mounting points. My 79 5.0 manual hatch came with a cracked driver’s floor. The previous owner was not that big, but with getting in and out a lot as a sales vehicle and the force from pushing the clutch, reinforcement was needed.
When it hooks, you’ll also want torque box reinforcements.

If I had to guess.. it's in the tune.

I would not use a ford racing letter cam in one of my engines even if it was given to me...
Yeah the engine came built from Ford Racing. Had the choice of E or B cam. Couldnt be the price back when I bought it $3500.00 complete and it held up well.
What do you think I would pick up for horse power with a different cam?

Get the SFCs with seat mount braces and check the floor for cracks by the rear seat mounting points. My 79 5.0 manual hatch came with a cracked driver’s floor. The previous owner was not that big, but with getting in and out a lot as a sales vehicle and the force from pushing the clutch, reinforcement was needed.
When it hooks, you’ll also want torque box reinforcements.
I'll check that. I battle boxes planned in the future.

So forget the cam and injectors for now. Maybe latter on.
I have an Edelbrock Performer 5.0 on the motor. Would changing to the Trick Flow Track Heat intake make much of a difference?
The Perfomer flows from idle to 5500 rpms. The Track Heat flows from 1500 to 6500. Just wondering.

So forget the cam and injectors for now. Maybe latter on.
I have an Edelbrock Performer 5.0 on the motor. Would changing to the Trick Flow Track Heat intake make much of a difference?
The Perfomer flows from idle to 5500 rpms. The Track Heat flows from 1500 to 6500. Just wondering.
I think the track heat would match your cam better but I don't think that's what limiting you. Also, maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but injectors do not add HP, they only support it. You're good with those 24# injectors until you add more cubes or boost.

Have you had your car on the dyno? Have a computer tune? I agree with the others, you should be faster with what you already have. My $.02, make what you have work before you start throwing parts and money at it and still have an under performing vehicle. Have a slip you can post up? Lets see your car!

Reactions: 1 user