how many times should i run at the track?

mustangkid05

Mar 10, 2006
i am going to go back friday, when it is not crowded, and after my last 2 passes 15.0 14.9 :notnice: i am going to run again.........any tips on the 60ft? my 60 ft was 2.3 ahh lol......and i missed third gear in both runs, i guess im to nervous? so how many times is safe to run the car? and i drive 1 hr to get there, and 1 hr back.........sorry if my grammar is not good right now i am just real tired

• Sponsors (?)

i am going to go back friday, when it is not crowded, and after my last 2 passes 15.0 14.9 :notnice: i am going to run again.........any tips on the 60ft? my 60 ft was 2.3 ahh lol......and i missed third gear in both runs, i guess im to nervous? so how many times is safe to run the car? and i drive 1 hr to get there, and 1 hr back.........sorry if my grammar is not good right now i am just real tired

I ran my car about 8 times the last time I went out with no problems....Just try to let the car cool off between laps....as far as the 60 ft, if your on street tires u should probably rev it up to like 2000 rpms & slip the clutch as u slowly give it more gas through 1st...

Its hard, my 1st time out I was nervous & missed some shifts resulting in some mid 14's. but then i got a little more comfortable later in the night & ended up running a 13.9, 13.8, & then a 13.7.....My car should be faster than that, but i just gotta get out of the hole quicker...Its hard on street tires though....

Good luck!!!!:nice:

practice practice practice. My first time out saw a bunch of 15's and a few upper 14's. Go and while your car is cooling down go stand by the guys running and watch to tree to get a feel for it. The more often your around the staging area the less nervous you are. Get at least 3 runs in. More isn't always better in one night, just try to learn from each one.

Really with a stock or near stock car you can run as many times as you want. When I was at the track this year a guy in a stock 2002 Mustang GT ran about 15-20 times, no joke! He'd pretty much make a run and hop back in line. Really as long as you give the car a 15-20min cool down it should be good, the only thing your really hurtting by hot lapping is your times.

With my car on the other hand I'll only make 3 runs at most. The first is usually about 1 hour after I get there, then Ill let it cool another hour or two and do another run, then Ill make one last run right before I get ready to leave.

I would suggest starting off by leaving at off idle and working your way up each run until you find the point when you can't help but spin. Slipping the clutch will work also, but it isn't easy for everyone and it can prematurely wear out a clutch disc. I've ran high 13's by leaving off idle. I do have 4.10's tho!:D

edit: Like stated above, you can run many times if you want. But you should let it cool down a little between each run.

Just remember, when you make the 2-3 shift, don't grab the shifer like you would a baseball bat. Instead, palm it at the top like you would a cane or a walking stick and gingerly "push" it ahead into 3rd gear, while "burping" the clutch (kind of glance your foot off of it from right to left in a swift "kicking" motion) at the same time. That's always the best way to approach high speed shifting with any synchronized transmission. From there, once you've mastered that, you can experiment with power shifting using the same method, but without lifting your foot off of the throttle. But I'd do that one closer to home. ;)

Just remember, when you make the 2-3 shift, don't grab the shifer like you would a baseball bat. Instead, palm it at the top like you would a cane or a walking stick and gingerly "push" it ahead into 3rd gear, while "burping" the clutch (kind of glance your foot off of it from right to left in a swift "kicking" motion) at the same time. That's always the best way to approach high speed shifting with any synchronized transmission. From there, once you've mastered that, you can experiment with power shifting using the same method, but without lifting your foot off of the throttle. But I'd do that one closer to home. ;)

And maybe with a trailer to tow you back!!! J/k, you can get away with it for a little while, but it always seems to catch up to ya!

Don't waste your time power shifting unless your driving your buddies car. Way to hard on the trans for a tenth or two. Especially if your driving your car that far to race. You want to actually be able to drive it home. Go out, have fun, and experiment. Remember, leave on the last yellow.

you can hot lap it if its cool out....2 weeks ago i was running and it was 40 degrees out for air temp....i hot lapped it 8 times never stopping (it was near close and there were only 4 cars left just hot lapping it)...my times didnt change any...infact...my second to last run was my best time of the night

no power shifting for me lol it sounds to bad for the car......whats the definition for that? i have an idea but im not sure

The Definition of powershifting, or the reason behind it?

Powershifting is essentially for lack of a more simple description rowing through the gears without lifting off of the throttle between shifts. It takes practice and a certain amount of skill. Some people are naturals, others never get it right.

The reason for it, is to cut every last ounce of time out of your run. Powershifting can be good for upt to .1-.2 in a quarter of a mile. But as I said, I wouldn't bother with it until you're able to perfect your hole shot and speed shifting first. Power shifting is harder on the transmission and gaining that extra tenth or two at the end of the track really isn't worth it if you're still cutting 2.XX times in your first 60ft.

Sounds like you are spinning the tires more than you should be. Try being less aggressive with your shifts and put the power to the ground a little smoother. Wheelspin = slow