I WANT A SMOOTHER RIDE IN MY FOX

jakeklein89

Apr 8, 2019
michigan
i daily drive my 1989 gt i love it to death its gotta be the most fun ive ever had driving and working on it! ive swapped the motor n tranny some mounts and bushings, rear end, rear upper amd lower control arms, complete 5 lug 4 wheel disk upgrade. The only thing i haven't touched is the suspension i guarantee this car has generic shocks and stock or cut spings front and rear i know i could use some bushings here and there the rear has brand new polys so they are good but what kind of suggestions would you guys have ? Im looking for a smooth daily driving setup..... and i live in michigan so these roads arent very nice (reason for why i want a smooth suspension) dont really have a budget in mine just want the ride quality im looking for if i cant afford it right away ill just save and buy what i can afford till ive got it all ! Thanks so much hope i get great help

• Sponsors (?)

Check LMR.com. They have OEM and after market shocks and springs. Also SummitRacing. On my 91 LX I swapped the stock springs and shocks for new Koni STR orange shocks and Steeda lowering springs. Then I added the Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors full length to strengthen the chassis. Fox bodies are notorious for flex. Ride and handling greatly improved. Not racing stiff. Just sharp for a daily drive. My imagination maybe but when the suspension works then the engine puts down the power better. Still looks stock except maybe 1 inch lower.

PS. I did not add a bump steer kit tho it’s recommended if you lower more than an inch. Oh new tie rod ends both sides and steering improved. Those tie rods were so wobbly loose I realized when I pulled them off. and new ones were an easy and cheap update to tighten up steering response. I still get occasional slam bam when hitting potholes hard. It’s not a crown Vic so just saying.

I used to have most everything from Maximum Motorsports on my car. I put one of the total car bushing kits from Energy Suspension or Prothane on the car. Handled like crazy. Rode like total horse crap. Poly bushings are not ride quality pieces. They are great for what they are intended for. I've replaced every single one with new OEM rubber. Much better ride. That's my two cents and I'm sure the poly lovers will disagree...lol.

Look for a full set of OEM replacement rubber bushings.

Replace your shocks and struts with a set of OEM, Monroe or other OEM replacement.

I would think that a set of progressive rate springs would be best for ride... Some of these other guys might be able to help more with spring rate.

Any sort of sport shock is going to be what my wife refers to as, "bewb jigglers".

Reactions: 1 users
Look for a full set of OEM replacement rubber bushings.

Replace your shocks and struts with a set of OEM, Monroe or other OEM replacement.

I would think that a set of progressive rate springs would be best for ride... Some of these other guys might be able to help more with spring rate.

Any sort of sport shock is going to be what my wife refers to as, "bewb jigglers".
Agree progressives give best balance on comfort / performance. The Steedas were a good compromise. I hear Ford racing has has their C spring. Same concept. I used poly bushings on the springs. No complaints.

Agree progressives give best balance on comfort / performance. The Steedas were a good compromise. I hear Ford racing has has their C spring. Same concept. I used poly bushings on the springs. No complaints.
C springs are the roughest riding spring I've ever had in my car. Should have known when I bought them from a guy that took them out because they beat him to death. I talked to Maximum a while back about springs and they said they do not care for any of the FRPP springs and I have to agree. I sold the C's and night brand new B's. Almost the same roughness. They will be coming it as well. Rears are already swapped.

Do not do C springs.

If you really want a smooth ride you want a set of springs similar to stock rates, along with a very good strut/shock. Rubber bushings, good chassis bracing, and not too low.

If you really want a good ride...coil overs. Putting the spring on the strut/shock body makes a dramatic difference in ride quality. It's just damn expensive

Reactions: 2 users
If you really want a good ride...coil overs. Putting the spring on the strut/shock body makes a dramatic difference in ride quality. It's just damn expensive

I wondered about this portion specifically but didn't want to muddy the waters. I've never done coilovers personally and the cars that I've ridden in were very harsh and meant to be that way. I can't say I've ever been in a Mustang with coilovers that was tuned for anything other than "as fast as it can feking go". :rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I wondered about this portion specifically but didn't want to muddy the waters. I've never done coilovers personally and the cars that I've ridden in were very harsh and meant to be that way. I can't say I've ever been in a Mustang with coilovers that was tuned for anything other than "as fast as it can feking go". :rlaugh:

Yeah, I see that often actually. Most people running coil overs put 300-400# springs or firmer in and it rides harsh. Handles the balls but firm as hell.

I told MM I wanted street comfort with some sportiness. I have 250# springs and rear conventional springs. Every time I get in the car I'm amazed at how well it rides and yet it still handles quite well.

But like I said....not cheap. But very worth it

Yeah, I see that often actually. Most people running coil overs put 300-400# springs or firmer in and it rides harsh. Handles the balls but firm as hell.

I told MM I wanted street comfort with some sportiness. I have 250# springs and rear conventional springs. Every time I get in the car I'm amazed at how well it rides and yet it still handles quite well.

But like I said....not cheap. But very worth it
I have a feeling this is the only way I'm ever going to get mine to ride good. Money's so tight though that if i could swing coil overs, if they rattled or didn't ride good I'd be hosed.

My car really smoothed out with the addition of a new cheap stock style tranny mount. With crossmember solid bushings . Just before that I did two layers of sound/ heat material . Like a new car ride. Cant hear my American Thunder exhaust as much.

Koni shocks, maximum motorsports coil overs, CC plates and 250# springs like mike suggested.
I have 275 springs, but if I daily drove it I might have dialed them back 25lbs.
Completely changes the way you hit bumps.