In need of drive by wire

My wife has a 1966 ragtop with a 289 that she is too short (4’10) to drive. I have been looking for ways to get her into a safe and comfortable driving position. The configuration that gives her the best visibility and comfort requires a steering column change, new seat structure, placement and travel, and power-adjustable pedals. To utilize the pedals, I need a drive by wire system. I cannot find anything that would allow me to convert the drive by cable to drive by wire, so I am exploring new engines. She does not need power or speed, just reliability and, of course, a drive by wire setup. What recommendations do you have for a long block or crate engine? Thank you for all of your help.

• Sponsors (?)

A coyote swap would certainly get the job done. They use a factory type control pack the utilizes a drive by wire setup. You are looking at $10-20k for the swap though. Other engines would require an aftermarket ECU any many shy away from DBW setups due to liability.

do you need relocated brake pedal as well, but those are still mechanically linked. The adjustable pedals just relocate the pivot to angke the pedal up.

I would contract out to a fabrication swap to adjust the pedals. The brake pedal arm can be swapped with one with an adjusted angle for better reach, and the gas pedal mount can be relocated to be closer. All this would be easier and cheaper than an efi engine swap, especially to an engine not commonly swapped like an efi 302 or a coyote.

The adjustable pedals that Ford has in its current vehicles will fit perfectly and give both my wife and I the ability to drive the vehicle with the push of a button as opposed to a resetting of the cable each time I get behind the wheel. It would be great if I could just set the pedals in a permanent location or if there was some way to make a quick adjustment. I was kind of hoping someone had a workaround for making a Holley Sniper into DBW. I will take a serious look at a Coyote. Thank you for your input.

Well, all drive by wire really is is a throttle pedal assembly with a TPS sensor built in that sends a signal to an ECU, then the ECU sends a corresponding signal to a stepper motor used to open the throttle plate to match what the TPS is reading. Many aftermarket EFI systems can be made to work with drive-by-wire....I do not know if Holley Sniper is one of them...worth an email to Holley to find out though.