Input on codes pulled today

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
Decided to get my code reader out today and try it. My blue car is basically stock with an HP turbo kit, crane ignition and a chip burned by a local tuner. The smog pump and most of the smog equipment has been removed. Ive been reading an old code book (lost the tools book), but its a bit cryptic. I received the bellow results.

Key on engine off
15, 85,10,11

I have that the computer test was good (11), cylinder #1 has some sort of problem (10), cannister purge circuit bad (85), and read only memory bad (15).
I figure the cannister has been removed so am not worried about that one, but dont know where to begin on the others.

Key on engine running

No clue on the (8), cooling temp sensor out of range (21) (could be the 180 thermostat?, Air diverter solenoid circuit (94- smog?) and thermactor failure (smog?)

Any input, especially on the #1 cylinder, would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

15 should be due to the chip.

All codes should be two digits. Maybe you were reading the engine code. V8's show a 4 IIRC.

If the engine wasn't up to at least 170*F, you can generate code 21. Re-running the test with the car at temp often gets rid of that code (a prerequisite of doing KOER codes it to have it up to temp).

What he said. Don't worry about the 85, 94 and 44...common codes when the canister and smog are deleted. Don't affect how car runs.

The 8 might be an engine code...not important.

21....was the car fully warmed up? If so, check resistance of ECT sensor and compare to known values chart (search "code 21" on here and you should find the info easily)

10 is a separator code....just separates the KOEO codes from the continuous memory codes.

Code 21 is really your only major issue

I warmed the car up, but it has been cold around here and may have had time to cool down. I'll let her warm up again and run the test again.

So the 10 is just a seperation code? I had found it listed as a balance test failure for cylinder #1 in one of the refrences I pulled. Definitely a relief, i was dreading tracking that one down. I'll let you know what happens with the ECT.

I warmed the car up, but it has been cold around here and may have had time to cool down. I'll let her warm up again and run the test again.

So the 10 is just a seperation code? I had found it listed as a balance test failure for cylinder #1 in one of the refrences I pulled. Definitely a relief, i was dreading tracking that one down. I'll let you know what happens with the ECT.

That is true, but you weren't running a CBT at the time. The CBT is initiated at the end of the engine running codes. When the last code has been read off, you simply press the accelerator 1/2 way down and the CBT will start. the engine will deactivate 1 cylinder at a time for about 2-3 mins and then flash a code. Will either be a 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80 or a 90 passing code.

But during normal code reading, its a separator code between the instant KOEO codes and the stored CM codes.

Fully warm the engine up to operating temp and run the codes again. The 21 should be gone. If it's still there, investigate the ECT sensor