Engine intake manifold oil leak

My lack of automotive knowledge makes me hesitant to get into something that I'm afraid I'll regret.

I don't think any of it is out of the realm of your ability. Just study up on methods and procedures and you should do fine no matter what route you take. And if you're unsure, ask questions. Many of us have done a lot of that kind of work. YouTube is your friend for quite a bit of that kind of stuff.....

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I'm not pulling the motor if I don't have too. I'll start tearing it apart as soon as I've had my fill of fishing for the moment. (going out with some friends on Rainy Lake this afternoon after the rain ends.) Depending on weather I may head back to Minneapolis this weekend or early next week.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I need to confirm #8 exhaust valve is bad. I'm hoping the block is not damaged.

Enzio

and I need to confirm #8 exhaust valve is bad.

Well I got home late last night. Sunburned and chewed up by bugs but happy.
Got out to the garage and pulled the valve cover off on the number 8 side. Turned on the compressor and let it fill up. Attached the hose to the number 8 and let the air go. Air was flowing out to the exhaust. I loosened the exhaust valve rocker about 1/3rd of a turn and the air stopped flowing out the exhaust much to my surprise. (I had it too tight.) I could not find any other leaks other than where it was attached to the engine.
I then took the air line off the engine and re-did the compression test. See attached. I'm assuming the compression is high on the dry results, due to residual oil from my first test a week ago.

Now I'm back to wondering why I blew all the oil out the intake manifold. In either case I'm going to have to take it off and re-install the gaskets.

Good news I think.

Enzio

Attachments

• retest.jpg
    retest.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 187
I'm back from Ontario. Caught some nice trout. Release all but one nice eater...which I ate.
Got the Cobra II put back together and when I started it up it ran really rough. I think the timing chain jumped a cog.

Well now I'm going to check that out for sure tomorrow and then order up the water pump and timing chain.

No leak so far on the intake so that's good.
Enzio

I think timing chain.
It hit hard when I was starting it up and then ran. Rough. Idle all over. The water pump is going to next. Remember Envy.

Timing chain replacement wouldn't be a bad idea at all, but for some reason I'm having a hard time believing that that's what your problem is. Did you remove and replace the distributor when you took the manifold off? I'm sure that if you did, you marked the position of the rotor and installed it back into position? And you verified timing with a timing light? If not, it's possible that your distributor is one tooth off and you may not be able to rotate it back into proper position. All of the plug wires are in the correct places? I understand that chains stretch over time and all, but it shouldn't be a basically overnight problem. It just seems to me that it is most likely an easier problem to remedy vs a timing chain replacement. Besides, if it's something like what I mentioned, you'll still have the problem after replacement and you'll be even more frustrated. Ask me how I know.... ;) :rlaugh:

I suspect you're right. I have all the parts ordered. The damper was toast. The timing chain looks like it was okay.
I didn't know the distributor gear could move like that. I'll check tomorrow. Been cleaning parts all day.
Thank you,
Enzio

Back on the road again. It's Sweet!
Now for exhaust. Now to do the big break-in. I think I'll combine it with some more fishing. Kind of a fishing road trip. Thanks for all the help and support.

Reactions: 1 users