Interior Swap W/questions

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
I'm going to be performing an interior swap (it has been on my wish list for the last two years).
My current interior is gray/black, rattles like a snake, and is broken everywhere (pictures later).

I've spent a day at the junk yard and while doing it I started running into a bunch of questions but kept pulling parts anyways.

Will the driver and passenger seats bolt right into my 95 from the 99-04?
Is the electric motor harness connector different between the two years, if so how can I adapt the 99-04 to work with my 95 factory harness
Would the airbags from the 99-04 be plug and play replacements? (I'm just amazed I found them intact)
What would be the closets and best type of paint to use to redye certain parts (03/04 black on black color scheme)?
Is there anything I should consider doing while I have the interior out, replacements, easy cool mods, whatever?
How do I remove the interior door handles?

Some awesome things to note*
*pictures of my current interior will be uploaded later in a new post
*in the same post will be some of the new replacement parts so you all can enjoy my junkyard fines
*I bought the entire interior for 150, amazing, I know:D

I should also mention I remember reading two threads about interior improvements, one involved using a rubberized spray on the back of the stereo bezel to reduce vibration noise and another very detailed thread of dyeing of the interior including best ways to clean interior pieces. If you're aware of these threads, please link them!
Edit: Davis' thread was one: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...dashboard-how-to-warning-tons-of-pics.746918/
here's the other; http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/689831-dash-radio-bezel-vents-rattle-fix.html
Here's one about dash removal and heater core replacement: http://poisnus.com/files/heater_core_replacement.html#_Toc193016800

I also need to swap the wiring harnesses for the door locks and windows since somewhere along the way some wires must've fused and causes my door lock buttons to not work but instead turn on the dash lights.

and a side note, for those of you who remembered, my car is still in the shop for the transmission swap so right now I can't really check any direct replacements and fitment till I get the car back.

Thanks, Jordan

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Im not sure about the air bag wiring.
I just painting my dash and air bags.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...dashboard-how-to-warning-tons-of-pics.746918/

The seats will bolt right in.

The wiring on the 99-04 power seat track has a 4-pin connector, while the 94-98 uses a 2-pin connector.
Iirc, I just combined the two positive and two negative wires of the 99-04 seat track, and plugged it into the two wire connector of the 94-98 wiring.

I'm not sure what paint matches the black of 99-04, but sem landue black is the perfect match for 94-98 black.

To remove inner door handles:
if equipt with mach audio, pull tweeter cover straight off.
in the small hole of the, remove one philips screw.
Pull tweeter up, disconnect wire and set aside.
Pop up the door panel cups (the portion with window/lock switches)
Flip cups over, remove two philips screws,
Set cups aside.
beneath the cups, on the door panel, remove one philips screw.
at forward edge of door panel, near the lower speaker grill, remove one plastic push pin.
from bottom of door panel, push panel straight up and remove panel.
set aside.
drill rivet out of door handle, slide cable out of handle.
Install is reverse of removal.

You can use a screw and lock nut in place of the handle rivet.

Cant remember the size right now.

Im not sure about the air bag wiring.
I just painting my dash and air bags.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...dashboard-how-to-warning-tons-of-pics.746918/
awesome write up! Very useful and it came out great. Makes me even more excited.
The seats will bolt right in.

The wiring on the 99-04 power seat track has a 4-pin connector, while the 94-98 uses a 2-pin connector.
Iirc, I just combined the two positive and two negative wires of the 99-04 seat track, and plugged it into the two wire connector of the 94-98 wiring.
Sounds easy enough, and more good news there.
I'm not sure what paint matches the black of 99-04, but sem landue black is the perfect match for 94-98 black.

To remove inner door handles:
if equipt with mach audio, pull tweeter cover straight off.
in the small hole of the, remove one philips screw.
Pull tweeter up, disconnect wire and set aside.
Pop up the door panel cups (the portion with window/lock switches)
Flip cups over, remove two philips screws,
Set cups aside.
beneath the cups, on the door panel, remove one philips screw.
at forward edge of door panel, near the lower speaker grill, remove one plastic push pin.
from bottom of door panel, push panel straight up and remove panel.
set aside.
drill rivet out of door handle, slide cable out of handle.
Install is reverse of removal.

You can use a screw and lock nut in place of the handle rivet.

Cant remember the size right now.
I'm sure I can find the paint code somewhere, I've seen it in the past but I was just hoping someone had the info on hand.

Well I'll have to find my portable dremel, or buy another I suppose :(

You can see the door panel has begun to peel and what you can't see is that only two hooks holding the door panel are still intact, the lower portion of the door panel flaps.
IMG_1493.JPG

This shows the missing trim, messed up passenger vent, holes in the driver seat, worn carpet, and the mixmatched color scheme since I wanted cup holders. Not to mention, again, that the door panels, stereo bezel, passenger air bag cover, and shifter bezel all rattle; along with something in the rear deck that sounds awful. Another added benefi of the interior swap is the ability to replace and properly secure everything with replacement screws from the yard.
IMG_1494.JPG

Does anyone know how I can go about reattaching my rear defrost though? It still works, just...ripped off somehow?
IMG_1504.JPG

(pictures of the parts I pulled coming tomorrow)

Door panels! One door panel has a partially broken hook that I need to fix and both door panels are lifting a little bit where the arm rest is so I'll need to find some adhesive to secure it down. The foam inserts on the back side are new and hopefully cut down on some road noise.
IMG_1520.JPG

I found these black leather rear seats! Excellent condition, just very dirty. I'm also getting the passenger leather seat in good condition, and the driver seat. However the driver seat is cut up in a lot of places so I haven't decided on the route to repair that seat yet. Should I recover the seat with a new skin? New foam padding? I might do a seat cover for a little while, but either way, it's an upgrade from my tweed seats. Another added bonus would be the replacement of the seat motor which is going out in my car.
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG

I also was fortunate enough to find the dual deck original factory stereo intact. I had pulled my aftermarket headunit and put it into my daily driver integra so the car has been radioless. Eventually I plan to do a full stereo system with new speakers, wires, double din headunit, and tweeters but that's a project for another day.
IMG_1523.JPG