Drivetrain Is it worth it to rebuild an aod transmission or get something else?

• Sponsors (?)

Lets start with some more information:
Street Car is noted:

What is under the hood, estimated HP and Rear gears as it sits now.
If your plan is to increase any of this later, this is the perfect time to upgrade/strengthen the trans.

I do not know much on the Automatic side of Transmissions. Money permitting, I would look at upgrading past stock so that in the end you have more in the trans than what the car will max out at. This should prevent a need to upgrade again in the future. I am sure this is also the line of thought that you were already working with though.

I am a staunch believer in the foundation of the vehicle takes precedence over HP or "Pretty" because without the foundation, you break things

Reactions: 1 user
I do not know much on the Automatic side of Transmissions. Money permitting, I would look at upgrading past stock so that in the end you have more in the trans than what the car will max out at. This should prevent a need to upgrade again in the future. I am sure this is also the line of thought that you were already working with though.

I am a staunch believer in the foundation of the vehicle takes precedence over HP or "Pretty" because without the foundation, you break things
I agree 100% drivetrain is my biggest concern

I have to agree with iccarus, you really only want to change a transmission once.
Did you consider a manual trans swap?

I think you also need an advanced skill level for a full rebuild or upgrade (which you may have).
I've done shift kits and they aren't a big deal (in fact I believe the lack of a shift kit is what kills the trans),
But the full rebuild is one of those things that if you mess it up it could cost you dearly.

I have to agree with iccarus, you really only want to change a transmission once.
Did you consider a manual trans swap?

I think you also need an advanced skill level for a full rebuild or upgrade (which you may have).
I've done shift kits and they aren't a big deal (in fact I believe the lack of a shift kit is what kills the trans),
But the full rebuild is one of those things that if you mess it up it could cost you dearly.
I would have a shop do the rebuild for sure i'm not skilled enough to do one myself. And I've never owned a manual car but have the understanding of how to drive manual

I would have a shop do the rebuild for sure i'm not skilled enough to do one myself. And I've never owned a manual car but have the understanding of how to drive manual
A paid rebuild with upgrades is going to be very expensive.
My guess would be 3 grand+.

Highly consider a manual swap (especially if this car is a toy, not a daily driver).
Overall, while not exactly simple, it can be done by an amateur.
Probably increase the fun factor of driving 10 fold...

Reactions: 1 users
If you are considering a rebuilt auto trans with up grades shop around, there are many companies that will drop a upgraded trans right to your door or the shop of your choice, the shop I hang at uses Jasper, they are nation wide and if the shop installs it there is a guarantee, we put an upgraded trans in the dump truck with a 3 year 100k mile guarantee.

http://lentechautomatics.com/products/ I've driven one of their AOD's in a friend's '86 Mustang LX 5.0 putting down 300+ RWHP. I liked it, a lot.

The best advice I can give is don't order a damned thing from Monster Transmissions. Their quality sucks, their warranty is bull:poo:, and their customer service is a joke.

You can read about my experience with their transmission here:

http://lentechautomatics.com/products/ I've driven one of their AOD's in a friend's '86 Mustang LX 5.0 putting down 300+ RWHP. I liked it, a lot.

The best advice I can give is don't order a damned thing from Monster Transmissions. Their quality sucks, their warranty is bull:poo:, and their customer service is a joke.

You can read about my experience with their transmission here:
When I was shopping for a new truck trans I looked into them, I agree, a lot of customer service/warranty issues.

If you decide to build a aod - Freddy brown in Long Island NY is the aod guy . There’s a reason his stuff has been 8s in multiple cars and stays together .
Next would be lentech if you’re stuck on an aod .

I have a FB unit in my car . Good for 1200 hp.

If you decide to build a aod - Freddy brown in Long Island NY is the aod guy . There’s a reason his stuff has been 8s in multiple cars and stays together .
Next would be lentech if you’re stuck on an aod .

I have a FB unit in my car . Good for 1200 hp.
While I've always known Freddy brown had a good reputation, didn't know the pricing.
So for curiosity's sake I took a look.
At a glance seems like you can get a decent trans at a good price, but man if you start checking boxes for upgrades or additions and you can take 2 grand and easily turn it into 5 grand.

While I've always known Freddy brown had a good reputation, didn't know the pricing.
So for curiosity's sake I took a look.
At a glance seems like you can get a decent trans at a good price, but man if you start checking boxes for upgrades or additions and you can take 2 grand and easily turn it into 5 grand.
Yup . My unit with the aftermarket bell , brake and upgrades was close to 4600 new .

15 years ago when I was building mine I planned ahead and got a Lentech built for 700hp. Full manual version, no lockup on OD, one piece input shaft etc.

It’s still running great today but I am only making 425hp at flywheel NA and 100hp NOS which I’ve used rarely.

Others rebuild AODs similarly as capable. Don’t dish the AOD it can handle it. Newer automatic route was too expensive back in the day for same level of HP. I am sure much has changed since I researched it 15 yrs ago.