Is it worth my $$ to swap heads?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i just purchased an r302 block, 308 longrod shortblock. it will be revved to 6500.

currently i have a stock bottom end, tfs twisted wedge heads, tfs 1 cam, systemax intake and vortech si-trim. at 7 lbs it is making 440/410.

i am aiming for efficiency and function here. i will be swapping cams, i am on the fence about the heads as well. my tfs heads will need new springs, valve job, ect. i figure roughly $400-500 in work.

my friend will give me $500 for my heads as-is. together thats 900-1000 i would have towards some new heads. i'm debating moving to an afr or maybe a different style TFS.

anyone have some advice here? is there a justified few hundred dollars more to run a different head?

• Sponsors (?)

When you say "different style TFS", do you mean switching to a High Port or TW-R? Or do you mean just going to a "bigger" Twisted Wedge?

I'm assuming you have the standard TW170, correct? In which case, I agree that moving to a bigger head would be beneficial to you. You know, an option is always to send them in to a place like TEA and just get them ported to a larger size. If you already have the head, getting it ported, and even assembled with new components is usually cheaper than buying a new head. I say usually because it depends on how wild you go.

Of course, if you can sell your heads for good money, it might be a wash. It all depends.

The Twisted Wedge is already a good head. No need to change to a different style head.

More boost and tune should get you to over 500HP at the wheels which is plenty for the stock bottom end. There's more HP a pulley away. On the new motor really turn the wick up and even with that combo it should make 100HP where you're at now. If you must sell the TFS heads, get AFR 185's.

A larger port head like the TFS new CNC series or fast as cast or switching to a AFR185 would benefit you over your current set-up. You can also get them with a spring that would work with your new custom cam.

Those pistons are dual valve relief correct?

The AFR 185 is a good head, but it seems to me that it isn't a big enough difference in performance to justify ditching his current heads for a set. Now if we were talking going to an AFR 205, that would make more sense. KnowwhaddI'msaying?

the car is fast enough for me now. it just went 12.0 at 122 with a 20 mph headwind on 18" street tires. this is at my current setup. i just spent good cash for a stout block, i want to make sure i put together a nice combo that works as a foundation for more power later. via boost obviously, pulley changes are easy if i want more.

by different tfs heads i meant what rick mentioned, the fac style or the cnc. im looking at the fac 190's basically for my theory to really work here. if i put 200 into springs, 200+ into valve job/surfacing my current tfs, i have 400-500 invested for the same head. or i sell them for 500 and use that 500 and i'm at 1000..

i've seen some sets purchased new and not used, that the seller put up for 1200ish. so if im looking at a couple hundred for a drop-on head and power gains without boost, then im all for it..

rick, they are dual pattern reliefs. so i can run whatever i want. im kinda thinking i will just keep punishing my stock bottom end for awhile until i feel like putting this in and just take my time building this block up.