Is my temp gauge correct?

de940fcc.jpg

Only reason why I ask is because my car takes forever to warm up and at times I idle at or around 1000 rpm and it seems like when the car finally warms up it Idles at 700-900? My other fox would run warmer quicker? Think I might not have a thermostat or a 160 in the car? By the way the car is 100% STOCK thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Mine takes about a couple minutes before it shows where your gauge is showing now. How long was the engine running for when you took this pic? If you are just idling for a long time, I'd give it about 5 - 12 minutes before it's at full operating temp. If you start driving within the first minute of starting it, give it about 5 minutes max before Op temp is reached. If there is NO thermostat, then it will take much longer, depending on the outside air temp. In the 50's - 60's then it will stay around where it is now for a long time, maybe a little higher. Lower temps, you'll be lucky to get it past the 130 mark ever.

Mie goes higher, and reads 185 on the mechanical temp gauge. Mine will point between the A and L....however, the gauge is completely inaccurate.

Either way, you do not want to run no t-stat or a 160 in an EFI car. Should really be running a 195 or a 180 at minimum.

Also possible the t stat is stuck open

@MustangLX: I had probably been driving the car for about in hour with the outside temp around 55 or so.

@Mustang5L5: yeah that's exactly where my other fox would read with a 195 T Stat, only reason why I'm not sure is because it looks like the previous owner installed a bigger radiator and I was thinking that's maybe why the car would run cooler. It's funny when I asked the guy I was purchasing the car from about the temp gauge he told me that it didn't work cause it wouldn't register anything.... But I'm fact it does it's just so low lol

even with a HUGE radiator, it shouldnt run cooler than the t-stat allows..it's just easier to maintain that temp. I have a 3-core rad, with 180 t-stat and maintain 185* steadily no matter what

Well it turns out the car was running without a T-Stat.... So I purchased a 192 T-Stat from the dealer and car warms up as expected and is at idle like it should. Thanks to u all and Mustang5L5 my temp gauge sits between A and L thanks again.