kmember and front suspension question

• Sponsors (?)

Are you putting the hack right under the balljoint? You should definitely see the shock/spring compress just a little bit
... Yes, under the ball joint...... Could the TRX springs in it be a bit stronger??
Anyway I pushed out the strut bolts and the car moved up about 1/2"..
Popped pretty good when I pried out the spring... I was glad the spindle was there to stop it...
One side done....

Last edited:
... Yes. Could the TRX springs in it be a bit stronger??
Anyway I pushed out the strut bolts and it moved about 1/2 inch up.
Popped pretty good when I pried out the spring... I was glad the spindle was there to stop it...
One side done....
You got this! Just be safe!

Just make sure you are clear when you pop it and I usually put stuff in the way when I do that. I’ve never had one shoot out
Its been many years ago, but I did a few of these before on other types of vehicles and I never had them as difficult to do... Seems as if after letting down the A arm, the spring would just fall out........ Maybe I am not 25 anymore??? LOL

OK, I beat this bitch...... Thanks to everyone for the help and advice......
Gonna yard the engine back out and take out the K member......
DSCF1012.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
I was able to do mine with a breaker bar.

Heat plus penetrating fluid will help too. Don’t use heat if you are intending on reusing the arms with the bushings as-is. If they are getting replaced, heat the nuts up and breaker bar those suckers off

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I'm surprised no one mentioned having a few people sit around in the engine bay. I've done that a few times. 3 or 4 people can easily stand in the engine bay. You'd be surprised what folks will do for a few beers. :rolleyes:

Glad you got then out. Dealing with springs is the most dangerous job a mechanic can do. I've seen really bad stuff happen from doing them wrong.

I'm surprised no one mentioned having a few people sit around in the engine bay. I've done that a few times. 3 or 4 people can easily stand in the engine bay. You'd be surprised what folks will do for a few beers. :rolleyes:

Glad you got then out. Dealing with springs is the most dangerous job a mechanic can do. I've seen really bad stuff happen from doing them wrong.
Go back to about post #45. We were lobbying for a pizza and beer Stangnet party at limps!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I would have come up with something like that 30 or 40 years ago...... All of my friends are old like me and I don't want to see any of them get hurt..
Surprised myself how easy it was to slip the engine in and out...
I just set it on its mounts, and used a jack to raise and hold the end of the transmission. No nuts or bolts and no tranny crossmember to mess with...

Reactions: 1 user
I was able to do mine with a breaker bar.

Heat plus penetrating fluid will help too. Don’t use heat if you are intending on reusing the arms with the bushings as-is. If they are getting replaced, heat the nuts up and breaker bar those suckers off
Taking them apart to install new bushings..... Had a breaker bar on them... Getting the correct size socket today 1 1/8" so I can get a better hold on the bolt side.. Had a 1", 1 1/6", 1 1/4" and 1 5/16 , but no 1 1/8........ My collection of rarely used tools will go up some more....
A lowes ( about 25 miles away) shows 4 impact sockets of this size in stock...
Bentley likes road trips
DSCF0241.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wondering if that bolt is metric? fkn lowes did not have a 1 1/8 ( which is what the bolt head measured), so I bought a 1 3/16.... Glad I did....