Fox Leave it original?

I think that's a good choice and what I'm doing with my car. Nothing that can't be undone and saving the parts I change out within reason (worn suspension components went)

Great choice on the MM subs. They stiffened my 87 a noticable amount.

Hey, I still think my car feels quick! Maybe it's the nostalgia kicking in...and if so, who cares? Lol. It's a true time machine for me back to my early 20s and I love it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I am in a similar situation. I have an 88 GT convertible with 109,000 km. Approximate 62,000 miles. Super clean car. Even factory radio and 5 spd. All original except I put pony rims on it. Still have factory turbines. But I agree, this 225 hp just isn’t cutting it. I’m also struggling with a decision. Do I modify the car and get some real fun out of it, or keep it original and sell it.

Attachments

• 20ACD30B-4F04-4804-A659-9E6C2450E457.jpeg
    20ACD30B-4F04-4804-A659-9E6C2450E457.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 6EF2E335-2783-4754-979B-EDBC0393AE23.jpeg
    6EF2E335-2783-4754-979B-EDBC0393AE23.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 1 users
Look guy's (and gals/others) let's get a grip here, 225hp now a days ain't winning any races, it is pretty spunky, but there has to be a decision, getting to 300 hp is fairly simple, after that the difficulties become evident, today's prius will give you a run for your money, there are many things that can be done to make our stangs more fun, they are at the age where keeping it close to stock and enjoying the drive is a real consideration now.

Unless you are holding onto this thing to send to one of those overpriced auctions one day, mod away. If you keep the original parts it can always be put back if you choose to. As far as weld in subframe connectors I would do that too. I bought my coupe brand new in 1993, within 3 months it had weld in subframe connectors.
Agree with above. I bought my '93 GT from the original owner with 101K, one repaint of original Reef Blue, all original, and in excellent condition. I've kept all the stock parts taken off in case I want to put it back original. The typical upgrades (exhaust, sub-frame connectors, etc.) make a better running and handling car that's more fun to drive. Whatever route you go, you've got a beautiful Coupe!

Look guy's (and gals/others) let's get a grip here, 225hp now a days ain't winning any races, it is pretty spunky, but there has to be a decision, getting to 300 hp is fairly simple, after that the difficulties become evident, today's prius will give you a run for your money, there are many things that can be done to make our stangs more fun, they are at the age where keeping it close to stock and enjoying the drive is a real consideration now.
The reality is that any stock late-model Mustang GT will outperform a modified Fox-body and be comfortable to boot.

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller lol. Ive got a 1993 Notch with 122km (around 75k miles)that ive had for the last 5 years its a 5.0 5spd factory radio delete car, no power options, no ac, bare bones and all black interior. I had the car painted when i first got it due to some minor flaws (clear flaking off and sun burnt). Car has some minor mods but i have all the original parts there. Ive been on the fence of doing some work to it like weld in subframe connectors, control arms and eventually powertrain. I know its my car and at the end of the day its up to me what i do with it but i would like to hear some of your guys opinions on leaving it stock or would it be a shame to make her a little more fun. Currently have the interior pulled out as i had planned on doing all the floors inside and out with POR15 as i thought she would be a little more rough but seems to be in great shape aside from surface rust, so thats another thing im looking to hear your opinions wheather to peel all the factory sound deadening out and fully coat the floors or leave it. See attached some pics for reference lol thanks!
B488469C-2782-41FE-AD0F-722C8C3D82C6.png
B310FE7B-05DB-433E-82D2-526AC0F6BE65.png
DB38F7EC-2972-45EB-926D-150488DFC463.jpeg
B5A06213-D914-4CC1-AC06-2A4A471FAFC7.jpeg
7478276D-083E-44DD-9F2B-9DE191244F5B.jpeg
I still have an '86 GT I bought new, but it was a daily driver and didn't get the best of care. In the last couple of years I've added rear discs, an '87-up front suspension, new bushings, springs, shocks, struts and added aluminum heads, E-cam, Edelbrock intake, headers, etc. It still looks pretty original, and runs good, but not as smooth as it was stock. I still have most of the stock stuff and can return it to mostly stock/original if needed. I see so many original Fox-body cars that have been cut up/torn up/messed up/"customized", etc. that if I wanted to make any substantial modifications I'd look for one someone has already messed up.

Like somebody said I like the idea of "time capsule". Certain mods like billet interior panels, and stuff like that I don't like. How about drilling holes in the dash. Probably ok a few years back, but we are starting to get into the antique era.

The reality is that any stock late-model Mustang GT will outperform a modified Fox-body and be comfortable to boot.
I reality a camry will out run even a mildly modified fox but
#1 the camry won't be as much fun to drive
#2 nobody will brag about 'the camry' in the driveway
#3 you can find a couple dozen camrys in any parking lot in any town
#4 nobody is likely to be driving that camry that is 30 years old and proud of it.

My first car was a 73 Celica that was a tank. Value for one in great condition is huge. Thats the thing when you start talking forty year cars for sale. Stock is what people expect. I would still trade a stock fox for some of these cars on here that are built..Give me the EGOKILLA

Either way definitely do the sub frame connectors! Even if they're bolt on, weld them to be extra sure.
After that, only you can can answer your original question. On the one hand, so meany of these things have been cut up into race cars they've gone from a dime a dozen to rare collectables already. On the other hand, there are so meany options in the after market, and coupled with the way Ford built them, (they're easy to work on) they are a platform that's begging for mods!
I will say this, When I first got my Indian Outlaw I had a million mods in mind for her. And I started the process.... Exhaust, sub frame connectors, trailing links ect... Then I lost my job at the TV station, and the money (not that I was making that much to start with) dried up. Then I got hit. It's been sitting on the lot down there since '14. When the pandemic hit I finnlay took her somolece else with my stimmy... Anywho, I said that, to say this... In the time Outlaw sat on the lot, I observed the phenomena others have mentioned about origonal Fox Bodies becomong increasingly scarece. I then began to question all the mods I had originally envisioned. My new policy is keep all mods fairly invisible, or as invisible as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
I buy 4 cylinder cars to modify. They are cheaper and the body is exactly the same. A correctly swapped and modded 4 cylinder will still get decent resale money. I don't think I could bring myself to modify a stock v8 LX or GT car.

The older I get, the less I am concerned with all out performance. My car is 34 yrs old now and being a convertible wasn't the best chassis to begin with. I dont want to put tons of power through it and wind up with doors that don't close correctly, etc.

I just want to maintain and enjoy it for what it is. Yeah, my 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 would eat it for lunch, but that's ok. It can still boogie and burn rubber and that's enough for me. To each their own though. Just my .02.

Way to make us feel like old fogies.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Well I'll start with , Its your ride do with it what you will .
Ever since I could remember going to car shows with my older brother and brother in law, I looked at cars that were 20,30,40 years old and totally original.Those cars did nothing for me, it's like they never had fun doing what I considered souping it up. That's just what hotrodding is . Museums are full of old sh*t and I don't give a rat's ass how freaking original it was kept , because when I'm gone they'll say that f*cker had fun. One life,enjoy it.

To me, there no problem adding subframe connectors, better brakes, gears, etc. especially using high quality or FRPP’s. Have fun with it.

Reactions: 2 users