Progress Thread Let's try this again...

So,..you had it towed to a shop to install the driver side header?

Because...........?????
Because I can either spend a day fumbling around under a car and then spend another 5 weeks chasing leaks or I can spend a little money to have it done right and have the car looked over by professionals (who specialize in mustangs) for other things that may need to be fixed (for example, the wiring) before I screw up anything trying to do it myself.
Send excess money to : Mikes Japanese engine in a Ford fund, c/o Mike.
If I had a ton of excess money, I would gladly send it your way. Your 2JZ swap looks awesome, I wish I had your skills and patience.
I sometimes fall asleep under my car that’s on jack stands...That‘s why they call them jack STANDS.
Jack stands can fail. It's unlikely to happen, but since I've never used them before and since I have nobody experienced around to help me I decided it would be best to leave this one to the pros for now so I don't risk dying in my parents' garage or winding up in an overcrowded ICU of my local corona-infested hospital with crush syndrome and massive internal bleeding. I know the risk is small, but all I can think about at the time is what could go wrong, and the answer in my case is usually just about anything.

I do hope the shop doesn't hose me too bad for it though. How much do you guys think it'll cost me? 250?

• Sponsors (?)

If you are not going to do something as basic as install a header, I am concerned. Even if you screw it up (which is doubtful) so what? Do you know how many things I have had to do twice, three, four times in my life? It's the only way to learn. Stop selling yourself short. You could have done the headers.

I also sleep under my car on jack stands...it's the only place where I can hide from people who always seem to need something......

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If you are not going to do something as basic as install a header, I am concerned. Even if you screw it up (which is doubtful) so what? Do you know how many things I have had to do twice, three, four times in my life? It's the only way to learn. Stop selling yourself short. You could have done the headers.

I also sleep under my car on jack stands...it's the only place where I can hide from people who always seem to need something......

You’re probably right, I guess in this instance I looked at the stuff I needed to do under the car, thought about my own lack of experience and everything that could go wrong and kind of overwhelmed myself. I still think it was a good idea to have the shop look at it though, to at least establish a connection if nothing else.

I‘ve fallen asleep in pretty much every seat in a car, but I don’t think I could ever sleep under a car unless it was a lifted truck and the keys were in my pocket.

If people need me around the house it’s usually enough for me to say “I’ll be in the garage” and they leave me alone, unless they want me to clean the garage, then I don’t really have anywhere to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get help. I'm lucky that I have a whole repair shop at my disposal.
I had to learn to diy because I didn't have the funds for shop time, but really, this is why most of us got into these cars.
I did this my self
I f'ed it up
I did it over
I phoned a friend
I pointed and laughed

Reactions: 1 users
Got the car back, and everything seems fine except for the steering. Straight is now maybe 5-10 degrees off.

When the tow truck driver and I were trying to muscle the car into position for the flatbed, I think I may have used a little too much force on the wheel. I heard something pop, and then the steering felt a lot lighter. When I got out of the car, I saw a nice pool of what I can only imagine is power steering fluid on the driveway and trailing up to the back of the truck. I think I probably blew some kind of gasket or something, but would that account for the steering wheel being off-center? The fluid does look low (obviously), and also kind of a muddy brown.
2BBA6A37-529C-4E35-95DC-3D7D15979428.jpeg

I also managed to get my cold air intake installed, and I think it does more for the sound than the headers do. My problem with that is that the set came with two brackets and I have no idea where they go or what they connect to.
B3B4CDEE-4C20-4EFF-8F9A-429AD54F5743.jpeg
1C4DA205-AAA0-4462-836E-AF2373F64B1E.jpeg

The black one came with the mass air flow adapter, and the the silver one came with the intake kit itself. The instructions say that the silver one is the new MAF bracket, so I imagine the black one connects to the adapter in such a way to allow it to connect to it? Or maybe it replaces it altogether since I don’t have mass air?

If you turn the wheel without the car running (power steering pump spinning) it will push fluid out the top of the pump due to pressure build up. Not a huge deal, but try not to do it if possible. The wheel off center is not a good sign. Could be the wheel itself rotated, or the rag joint got damaged due to you cranking on the wheel with no power assist. Get your car so it is in a straight position. Loosen the bolt holding the steering wheel on and see if there is any way to straighten the wheel and then tighten the bolt. Physically check the rag joint for damage.

Yep, you don't need that bracket for the cold air intake. I wonder if that "pop" you heard was the cap, might have been the pressure of turning the wheel? Are the two little "teeth" still on the edges of the cap? Check to see if you have ps fluid running down the reservoir.

Got the car back, and everything seems fine except for the steering. Straight is now maybe 5-10 degrees off.

When the tow truck driver and I were trying to muscle the car into position for the flatbed, I think I may have used a little too much force on the wheel. I heard something pop, and then the steering felt a lot lighter. When I got out of the car, I saw a nice pool of what I can only imagine is power steering fluid on the driveway and trailing up to the back of the truck. I think I probably blew some kind of gasket or something, but would that account for the steering wheel being off-center? The fluid does look low (obviously), and also kind of a muddy brown.

I also managed to get my cold air intake installed, and I think it does more for the sound than the headers do. My problem with that is that the set came with two brackets and I have no idea where they go or what they connect to.

The black one came with the mass air flow adapter, and the the silver one came with the intake kit itself. The instructions say that the silver one is the new MAF bracket, so I imagine the black one connects to the adapter in such a way to allow it to connect to it? Or maybe it replaces it altogether since I don’t have mass air?
You might need to get that adapter for your car being speed density.

Last edited:
The rag joint is the likely suspect for the steering wheel. With the car off have someone rock the steering wheel left and right. Watch the little rubber disc on the shaft going to the steering rack. It shouldn't have play in it.

Well, I fixed the temp gauge with a new sensor, so there’s good news there. As for the steering problem, I had someone jiggle the wheel a little bit and it didn’t look like there was any play to me. I tried to get a picture of the joint itself.
97374F1B-DB5F-4EC3-8956-F915AE15BB5A.jpeg

the intake is installed, my only problem is it kind of flops around a lot and I thought the brackets were supposed to prevent that. If I don’t need them, then I guess it’s fine.

BB67C9B6-583D-4479-9DAA-1973234EDA59.jpeg

Well, I fixed the temp gauge with a new sensor, so there’s good news there. As for the steering problem, I had someone jiggle the wheel a little bit and it didn’t look like there was any play to me. I tried to get a picture of the joint itself.
97374F1B-DB5F-4EC3-8956-F915AE15BB5A.jpeg

the intake is installed, my only problem is it kind of flops around a lot and I thought the brackets were supposed to prevent that. If I don’t need them, then I guess it’s fine.

BB67C9B6-583D-4479-9DAA-1973234EDA59.jpeg
I thought you got the fender well mounted intake. I’ve never used that air intake. You might need that bracket then. :shrug:

Ok,you've got several issues going on here. First,you'll get alot of flack for running that open air filter. It can cause idle issues,and you're definitely gonna need a bracket. Secondly,on your steering issue. I'm wondering if the rag joint isn't contacting a header tube? That would indicate your motor mounts are sacked. And you're gonna hate those headers come time to change plugs.

Ok,you've got several issues going on here. First,you'll get alot of flack for running that open air filter. It can cause idle issues,and you're definitely gonna need a bracket. Secondly,on your steering issue. I'm wondering if the rag joint isn't contacting a header tube? That would indicate your motor mounts are sacked. And you're gonna hate those headers come time to change plugs.

I've thought about the motor mounts, it's definitely possible. The car does seem to shake quite a bit.

Ok, so after a few quick runs around the neighborhood and some thoughts I have a few takeaways regarding the steering issue.

• Even though the car tracks straight, the wheel is off by around 10-20 degrees or so
  • While turning the wheel through some parts of it's travel, it seems to move in an orbital motion
  • The rag joint looks ok to my untrained eye. When the wheel is moved back and forth, the two halves of the steering shaft move together
  • The steering does feel a little more loose than it used to, but the car doesn't wander.
  • The steering fluid leak looks like it was coming from the cap
I also put the stock air intake back on for now. It probably is the rag joint and I just can't see the damage.

The second bracket is what you'll use for now. The first bracket is what you'll switch to should you decide to convert to mass air.

To use that bracket, the little "tab" without a hole in it will be tucked between one of the hose clamps and the silicone coupler (or the flange of the air filter itself) and the end with the hole in it will bolt to an existing hole in the car. I ran a similar setup on my '87 GT many years ago.

The second bracket is what you'll use for now. The first bracket is what you'll switch to should you decide to convert to mass air.

To use that bracket, the little "tab" without a hole in it will be tucked between one of the hose clamps and the silicone coupler (or the flange of the air filter itself) and the end with the hole in it will bolt to an existing hole in the car. I ran a similar setup on my '87 GT many years ago.
That's what I figured. I couldn't get it to work right, but I'll probably play a little more with it later. I know it does virtually nothing from a horsepower standpoint, but it sounds and looks great. I think I'll have to bend the tab a little bit to get it to fit.