Looking to get more horse.

Stallion96Vert

Jul 6, 2004
I just bought a 1996 GT convert. Allready the car has 4:10 rear-end, under run pulleys, and a steeda timing adjuster. However this just isnt enough for me. It is a 2V SOHC. I was wondering if anyone knew a good setup for this V8 that I could put together and maximize the horsepower.

Thanks,
Shane.

• Sponsors (?)

The primary drawbacks to the nPI heads as compared to the PI heads are the intake ridge, smaller intake port volume, and smaller exhaust valve. The intake ridge’s purpose is to induce in-cylinder mixture motion. However, it also acts a shroud to a valve that already is shrouded by its close proximity to the cylinder head wall. The intake port diameter is adequate for most naturally aspirated and mildly blown applications; however, the increased intake port diameter of the PI heads will support higher horsepower applications. Finally, the small exhaust valve acts as a hindrance to exhaust flow and it is a major reason why these heads wheeze out before the PI heads or the SVO heads.

The PI heads utilize a quench pad instead of a ridge to induce mixture motion. This quench pad does not provide as much of a restriction as the intake ridge in the nPI heads. The intake port volume is increased to 159cc and the exhaust valve got an upgrade from 34mm to 36mm. The PI heads also include PI cams that have a higher lift than the cams provided in the nPI heads. The cams also include a slightly smaller duration to enhance low end torque.

A popular upgrade for nPI equipped Mustangs is the PI swap. This includes swapping PI heads and the PI intake on an nPI 96 – 98 Mustang resulting in an approximate gain of 45 RWHP, but with an increase in the compression ratio to approximately 10.5-1 making these PI head swapped engines supercharger unfriendly.

Another common swap that involves less labor at significantly less cost is the PI cam and intake swap. The swap provides a gain of approximately 30 - 35 RWHP while maintaining the stock compression ratio. Because used PI cams and used PI intakes can usually be purchased for approximately $100 each, this mod is proving to be one of the best dollar for horsepower mods available for the nPI equipped Mustang.

Okay. Is it possible to put the heads in on the swap with the cam and intake? Also are the upgrades difficult? And I am thinking exhaust would be a good idea, since the car still has stock exhaust. I want the exhaust to sound good while giving me a good hp gain. What would you recommend? And how much hp can I get out of a full exhaust?

Thanks,
Shane.

Yes you can do all that, but i think its gona be near 2G (Just to let you know). Doing all that, well it would be alot of work, alot of work i dont know how to do especialy cuz you will be putting in a new cam and all that. If you have someone who is good with cars, mechanic or something, i suggest you start talking to him as well if your gona do it yourself (AKA At home). Alot of people recomend differnt things, I say get a Dr. Gas X Pipe or a Magnaflow X Pipe (The reas i say Magnaflow is cuz its all SS), and Magnaflow Catback. Then i suggest getting some Mac headers. That should be good...
With all that, i suggest also getting some DRs. Nitto 555Rs rear, Nitto 555s front. (Or just the Rs in back is fine!)