Low Dyno Numbers Help!

Travisriddle427

Active User
Feb 13, 2018
hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction. So over the past month are so I installed trick flow twisted wedge 170 heads along with and Anderson n-41 camshaft in my 93 cobra. I had matt moss port my lower cobra intake to match the heads. Here’s where I’m stumped.. I took the car to alternative auto to have it dyno tuned and after a couple hours of tinkering the car only made 218 rwhp.. I was told that either the Cam shaft was too big for my set up or that the Cam was not installed dot to dot which after pulling it back apart over the weekend was not the case..I did a compression test and all cylinders where within 140-160 psi cold.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes should be around 300rwhp.. could the cobra intake possibly be chocking it out?? I was told by alternative auto to pull out the Anderson Cam and install an f303 Cam in dot to dot and bring it back but I’ve read a bunch of posts with people having the same combo making 300+ to the wheels

Wait.... they suggested removing the Anderson cam for an F cam....

Both of them them have specs so close to each other I'm not sure it would change anything.

I am suspect of there dyno, you always get a printout.

Reactions: 1 users
Almost 20 years ago I was building 93 Cobra's making over 300 whp with ported stock heads, ported lower and Extrude honed upper, shorty headers, cat pipe and cat back with a Steeda camshaft. No ECU tune. The parts you have should not be a problem. I have no idea how it was all assembled, so who knows what is going on. How much timing in the engine?

Are these the base 170s w/ upgrades springs or the 11r 170s? Guessing you are running 24lb inj. what rockers do you have? Could the gears be running out? 4.10s seem big but idk I run 3.73

Almost 20 years ago I was building 93 Cobra's making over 300 whp with ported stock heads, ported lower and Extrude honed upper, shorty headers, cat pipe and cat back with a Steeda camshaft. No ECU tune. The parts you have should not be a problem. I have no idea how it was all assembled, so who knows what is going on. How much timing in the engine?
What exactly does the extrude and honed do?

Extrude hone is a process that forces a clay like material through the runners and smooths the walls and floor, pros and cons on effectiveness, I think it's fairly expensive, not sure any more.
Your gears are kinda steep for the street in my opinion.
Without the dyno sheet hard to tell how effective the run was.
Peek hp/tqr at what rpms?

WHo assembled the motor? Did you do it?

Can you detail out what parts you actually used. Roller rockers, new pushrods, etc? Did you measure for new pushrod, or use existing? Did you degree the camshaft?

In the tech/how to section is a thread on h/c/i installation, in there are instutions on degreeing a cam,
Have you checked for codes? Seems silly but I recommend it in this case.
Sometimes a cam will be 1 or 2 degrees advanced or retarded, this will confirm that.
14° advanced timing is not unheared of, I would:
Check codes
Degree cam
Advance the timing to 14°
Take it to a different dyno unless the previous operator will work with you on cost and provide a dyno sheet.
These are only guesses based on the limited info I have, a dyno sheet would have been more telling.
Jmo and in no way implies any expertise.

No codes no check engine light and I agreed on checking the cam was dot to dot and possibly swaping the cam and then coming back to the dyno for a re run at a discount but Anderson assured me the cam was not too big and told me they always install the n-41 dot to dot

Dot to dot is only good if the cam is ground proper to that alignment. It is quite possible that the cam is ground where dot to dot has it very retarded. The ONLY way to know if dot to dot is correct would be to put a degree wheel on the engine and verify valve events are what they are advertised to be. If the valve timing is retarded by 3-4* it will be way down on power and very lazy.

Extrude hone is a process that forces a clay like material through the runners and smooths the walls and floor, pros and cons on effectiveness, I think it's fairly expensive, not sure any more.

It is an abrasive media that has the consistency of silly putty. It is forced through the runners under high pressure and "ports" or removes material that has the greatest resistance to flow. It is not cheap ($200-$400 depending) http://www.extrudehoneafm.com/service-locations/torrance-ca/extrude-hone-porting-in-torrance-ca/
It does work great in the correct applications.

Reactions: 1 user