Lowering your mustang on a budget - with new parts!

removed the sportlines and installed the H&R's . that pretty well fixed the problem. it doesnt sit exactly the way i want it, but im picky. however it does sit much better than it did. the H&R's gave it a more consistant, more raked stance. looks better. the front fender gap is still there but is not as bad as it was with the sportlines. also, i have had the new springs on there a total of 3 days with about 20 miles of drive time. they may settle a tad. if it dropped a 1/2" in the front, id be pefectly happy. if it doesnt, i may play around with the iso's later on. the sportlines were on there for about a month and never settled.

car rides well. overall im very pleased with the H&R's.

• Sponsors (?)

removed the sportlines and installed the H&R's . that pretty well fixed the problem. it doesnt sit exactly the way i want it, but im picky. however it does sit much better than it did. the H&R's gave it a more consistant, more raked stance. looks better. the front fender gap is still there but is not as bad as it was with the sportlines. also, i have had the new springs on there a total of 3 days with about 20 miles of drive time. they may settle a tad. if it dropped a 1/2" in the front, id be pefectly happy. if it doesnt, i may play around with the iso's later on. the sportlines were on there for about a month and never settled.

car rides well. overall im very pleased with the H&R's.

Good to know. How bout those new pics? :rolleyes:

the car rides VERY well with the H&R's. but thats also with new oem shocks/struts. ride is firm but forgiving. no bottoming out , no rattles. i actually have to hit a fairly big bump to feel anything. feels almost stock like. there is the faintest squeak coming from the front passenger area. im guessing its the isolator and i really have to listen for it, hardly even audible.

Overall, im happy. i swapped out the sportlines for a set of H&R SS springs. these H&R's are more consistant and give the car a slight rake. however i wish the nose would come down some more...maybe with some miles it will. the sportlines were on nearly two months and didn't settle at all. they were higher than these were in the front and the rear sagged on one side :nonono:

these have only been on 1 week and were installed with new ES poly isolators. if the front doesn't drop any in a couple of months, i may pull the isolators. as for now, the car rides absolutely great. i have a little negative camber but im going to wait a bit and see if she settles any (hopefully) before i get another alignment.

Snapped a few pics on my uneven gravel driveway after a quick wash job.

H&R SS springs
ES poly isolators
UPR 3 bolt steel cc plates
18x10 / 18x9 FR500s
General UHP tires 295/35/18 & 265/35/18

P2180222.jpg

P2180216.jpg

P2180218.jpg

P2180217.jpg

Super clean! Love silver fr500's ;)

No idea why everyone buys black and anthracite...they don't come close. Stance looks really clean. They may settle over time and you can always add the x2's later on. I was looking at my before/after pics and they do make a decent difference.

Super clean! Love silver fr500's ;)

No idea why everyone buys black and anthracite...they don't come close. Stance looks really clean. They may settle over time and you can always add the x2's later on. I was looking at my before/after pics and they do make a decent difference.

thanks man.

like you said, i guess i can always do the balljoints at a later date. i was surprised to see how just a spring swap made a noticeable difference - and thats with a spring that claims LESS drop.

you wouldnt be biased on the silver would you? :D

Good luck with the OEMs on sportlines, not only are they not going to last for more than a year if you are lucky, they are not even going to be close to functioning correctly. Shocks/dampers are designed to work within certain ranges within the travel of the internal cylinder. Working out of those ranges causes irration or air bubbles forming inside and instability. I guess since you are just driving around it won't be 'as bad' but you have just fuxxored the roll center on the car without any sort of correction with dampening, nevermind the bumpsteer issues, rack bushings, and the spindle height without a raised balljoint.

Futhermore generally sportlines have LESS spring rate than the PRO-KIT as while the pro-kit is a drop designed to be used for stock style equipment; when you lower a car the correct way you do not need such excessive springrates to prevent from bottoming out everywhere.

Kudos for putting a cheap parts list out but I would suggest people towards a springset that is geared closer to what will suit the 'budget' enthusiast best. It's not budget anymore when you have to buy stuff twice. My previous owner of my brother's cobra took this approach on sportlines. It was like riding in a crapbox civic bouncing and bottoming out, not weight transfering well...just generally garbage after any decent amount of time.

Car should look very agressive.....it's just going to handle like doodie. Sorry to be the downer.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but would these springs work with the stock shocks and struts? They appear to be pretty comparable to Steeda Sport Springs.

H&R Super Sport Springs (83-93 Convertible, 94-95 Coupe) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but would these springs work with the stock shocks and struts? They appear to be pretty comparable to Steeda Sport Springs.

H&R Super Sport Springs (83-93 Convertible, 94-95 Coupe) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

yes, the H&R supersports will work with stock shocks and struts. however, i strongly reccommend that you at least swap out the stockers for some cheap OE replacements from your local parts store (little over $100 for 2 struts/2 shocks). hanky will disagree with me, and he has his valid reasons. he, among others, will reccommend a performance shock & struts such as KYB or Koni. stock replacements will wear out quicker on a lowered car vs. a stock ride height car but if you are keeping a tight budget, you will still be fine with this option and they will still last a good while. my car rides super smooth with supersports and gabriel gardians.

others claim using fox specific shocks/struts with a shorter travel.

EDIT: my bad. i see you were talking about the sportlines rather than the H&Rs. yes, the sportlines will still work with stock shocks/struts but i still feel the same with what i typed above. they lower the car more than the supersports ( at least, they are suppose to. sometimes, they dont ).

yes, the H&R supersports will work with stock shocks and struts. however, i strongly reccommend that you at least swap out the stockers for some cheap OE replacements from your local parts store (little over $100 for 2 struts/2 shocks). hanky will disagree with me, and he has his valid reasons. he, among others, will reccommend a performance shock & struts such as KYB or Koni. stock replacements will wear out quicker on a lowered car vs. a stock ride height car but if you are keeping a tight budget, you will still be fine with this option and they will still last a good while. my car rides super smooth with supersports and gabriel gardians.

others claim using fox specific shocks/struts with a shorter travel.

EDIT: my bad. i see you were talking about the sportlines rather than the H&Rs. yes, the sportlines will still work with stock shocks/struts but i still feel the same with what i typed above. they lower the car more than the supersports ( at least, they are suppose to. sometimes, they dont ).

No, I was talking about the H&R Super Sports. I don't want a drop as extreme as the Sportlines and the H&R's fit nicely between them and the Steeda springs.

I also agree with Hanky's reasoning, which is why I quoted him when asking about using the stock shocks/struts. I don't want to have a setup that rides less than optimal or wears out shocks and struts faster than they should. If the H&R/stock replacement setup would do that, I'll have to decide whether to go with aftermarket shocks or choose a less aggressive spring.

No, I was talking about the H&R Super Sports. I don't want a drop as extreme as the Sportlines and the H&R's fit nicely between them and the Steeda springs.

I also agree with Hanky's reasoning, which is why I quoted him when asking about using the stock shocks/struts. I don't want to have a setup that rides less than optimal or wears out shocks and struts faster than they should. If the H&R/stock replacement setup would do that, I'll have to decide whether to go with aftermarket shocks or choose a less aggressive spring.

just to reiterate, my car rides almost stock (in comparison to when it was new) with the supersports and the guardians. very comfortable. also, on my previous 95 i had sportlines and take-off shocks/struts from a new edge (they even had several thousand miles) and it rode just as good. had that setup for over 3 years probably and sold the car that way. never bottomed out, always rode smooth.

yup. was just not happy with the sportlines. the car sat way to high in the front. they were on the car over 2 months and never settled at all. the car also sat lopsided with them in the rear. ditched them and picked up a set of H&R supersports and am much happier. My 95 with sportlines had a few issues but not as bad as the ones on my 2000.

H&R FTW!