Progress Thread Manoahs 75 Fauxbra build

• Sponsors (?)

when i was a kid in high school, i remember us talking about how it wasnt a real MACH1. turns out we were wrong. one of the many things this forum has taught me.

Reactions: 1 user
i remember us talking about how it wasnt a real MACH1.

Lol We all talked down the m2 back then

Liking the Mach1 idea (got to have the sticker)

n100_1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
yes the MACH 1 will remain, and im going to add it to some accents on the inside, maybe embroider it on the seats? or the door panels?

send car out for paint and body -
i have no vision for this, but a modern rendering of a MACH 1 would be cool.

While probably not exactly modern, what I had always envisioned for a Mach 1 if I were to ever get my hands on another would be to give it the old school Mach treatment. Flat black on the flatter part of the hood, a Cobra chin spoiler, lower body panels flat black, tail panel flat black, add the Cobra ducktail spoiler.. I found a pic of someone's car a long time ago that more or less nailed it but haven't been able to find the pic since. But here's another that illustrates what I'm talking about. It's VERY close to what I would do, but there are a few minor discrepancies compared to what's in my head....

95370306.jpg

But all in all, THIS is what mine would look like if I still had the Mach that I had long ago. It was the same color and all! We'll just call it the one that got away....

• Love
I like that style, but I would do just the lower part of the body panels and the hood scoop in black.
But this is a matter of personal liking.
Black hood scoop will happen on my car, if finished. Later-on I will perhaps tuck the bumpers a bit and paint the lower body panels also in black and add the ducktail...

While probably not exactly modern, what I had always envisioned for a Mach 1 if I were to ever get my hands on another would be to give it the old school Mach treatment. Flat black on the flatter part of the hood, a Cobra chin spoiler, lower body panels flat black, tail panel flat black, add the Cobra ducktail spoiler.. I found a pic of someone's car a long time ago that more or less nailed it but haven't been able to find the pic since. But here's another that illustrates what I'm talking about. It's VERY close to what I would do, but there are a few minor discrepancies compared to what's in my head....

95370306.jpg

But all in all, THIS is what mine would look like if I still had the Mach that I had long ago. It was the same color and all! We'll just call it the one that got away....
those bumpers gotta go, the side marker lights will be filled in, the body stripe bumper thing has to go, and i think i would lower the black stripe around the bottom by at least half, if not get rid of it entirely. the MACH 1 sticker will stay though. some sort of scoop needs to be added to the hood, the grille needs a makeover, and the whole car needs to be dropped about 4 inches. orange is one of my favorite colors, but i havent settled on a color yet, or if i want stripes.

Stripes are what that car is all about. If it was mine, and I wish it was . I would have all badges to keep it the way it was new. I would assume you can still get those Firestone tires. Luckily its an automatic so the kid can drive it.

I've grown accustomed to the bumpers and think there's something missing when they're tucked, but that's just me. The new stuff out now looks better than some of the stuff that was done in the 90s (when someone attempted to basically make a roll pan and eliminated the bumper) though. But the lower body black treatment and the chrome strip that separates it from body color were stock for the Mach 1s. The chrome strip ran along a body line as well, and cutting the black portion in half would make the Mach 1 script look funny as it would be half on body color and half on black. So, my opinion again, but I'd say it either stays or goes, all or nothing, otherwise it'll look funny to me too.

This pic does a fairly good job at showing the naked body line that I'm talking about:

1768673552.jpg

The black treatment on the Mach 1s, the side bumper strips, and the Cobra II striping does a pretty good job at disguising it.

The black treatment on the Mach 1s... does a pretty good job at disguising it.
I'm completely with you! I think this color schema is the best one to keep it original and have good look.
My wife always say, that I should keep the bumpers as it is. It is a 70ties car!
I'm still thinking of a compromise of tucking just half of the original bumper depth. But this is something for the future if I don't have another project around.

Stripes are what that car is all about. If it was mine, and I wish it was . I would have all badges to keep it the way it was new. I would assume you can still get those Firestone tires. Luckily its an automatic so the kid can drive it.
may or may not change the trans. the kids will learn to drive on an automatic, but their first car will be a manual. ive got a focus ST that will be their first car, they gotta learn to drive a stick, after that, its their choice of what they want to drive.

• Hell Yeah!
Are you going to do some of the body work yourself. Thats a fun thing to do with kids. Question to body guys......Is it uncool to take a palm sander and strip down body parts.then prime with spray can primer...just to save money, and get a little better feeling knowing its bare to metal.

Are you going to do some of the body work yourself. Thats a fun thing to do with kids. Question to body guys......Is it uncool to take a palm sander and strip down body parts.then prime with spray can primer...just to save money, and get a little better feeling knowing its bare to metal.
nah, i have no knowledge of body work / paint. or fabrication for that matter. if i go with a coyote swap im just going to have a shop build it for me. the wife gave me an insane budget for this build, so my mind has been running a muck all day today.

day dreams just went WILD today.

That's kinda what the plan is for ElSuperPinto... but with a 5spd (I got a TR3650 from a 2004 Mach 1 for free, with a Hurst shifter, and a clutch cable). The massive slowdown in work (and by association, my income) at the dealership has put the hunt for a Coyote on hold (was going to go junkyard F150 route and cam and intake swap it before dropping it in), and may or may not be why I'm suddenly so interested in reviving it with the pushrod mill.

That's kinda what the plan is for ElSuperPinto... but with a 5spd (I got a TR3650 from a 2004 Mach 1 for free, with a Hurst shifter, and a clutch cable). The massive slowdown in work (and by association, my income) at the dealership has put the hunt for a Coyote on hold (was going to go junkyard F150 route and cam and intake swap it before dropping it in), and may or may not be why I'm suddenly so interested in reviving it with the pushrod mill.
Hell yeah!! cant argue with free! and ive been reading on the coyote swap face book pages that the F150 route is a pretty popular way to go. i may have read one of your posts on a page?

Hell yeah!! cant argue with free! and ive been reading on the coyote swap face book pages that the F150 route is a pretty popular way to go. i may have read one of your posts on a page?
Not on Facebook, as I'm not there.

As with everything on IIs, engine compartment room will be the primary obstacle. I've been studying every picture I can find of the yellow 4.6 Terminator swapped car because the dimensions of the 4v 4.6 are so close to those of the Coyote.

Been gone a LONG time. That’s just the nature of being in the navy, but I changed commands recently, so Im hoping to have more time to work on the mustang. Well, we bought a new house a few months ago, and the wife let me have my whole garage back, so I’m finally setting up my dream workshop. Naturally I need a tv. Also built my first workbench and floating shelf. Pretty happy with how it’s coming out.

Attachments

• D2AF95F4-A89B-40AF-9DA5-84049347BBB5.jpeg
    D2AF95F4-A89B-40AF-9DA5-84049347BBB5.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 78
Dad gave me a sawzall, so I chopped off that 45 year old exhaust. Way more fun to cut it off than it is to unbolt.

Attachments

• 535D4B4B-6847-4492-A20D-624FF7962FA6.jpeg
    535D4B4B-6847-4492-A20D-624FF7962FA6.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 68