Progress Thread Miss Molly

• Sponsors (?)

So here we have the heads, rocker arms, and push rods installed. I did that on Sunday.

20171224_162655.jpg

And then today, I spent 4 hours getting the other side done with push rods and rocker arms. I added the lower intake manifold, as well as the valve covers. The exhaust manifolds gave me a bit of trouble (like me almost losing the tip of my finger by it dropping on my hand. I ran out of gasket sealant before I could put the upper intake on, so I will be getting that done first thing in the morning.

20171226_171516.jpg

Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, we can fire her up!

Side note: I'm doing a full fluid change/flush as well before I close everything up while I have access to everything.

Reactions: 5 users
So the plan was to finish her out today and attempt to crank her... which did not happen at all. I got the fuel system connected, fuel rails and all and connected the EGR. I went to mount the water pump and this happened.....

12445.jpeg

I swear, no one else would have this happen. When that broke, the tube that runs out of the top of the water pump to the back, the water heater outlet tube, ALSO decided to crack - meaning it is essentially useless. Maybe tomorrow I can get all these other parts put on with the exception of that tube until I can order one. Dear Lord, I am so ready for this project to be finished!

Reactions: 1 users
So the plan was to finish her out today and attempt to crank her... which did not happen at all. I got the fuel system connected, fuel rails and all and connected the EGR. I went to mount the water pump and this happened.....

12445.jpeg

I swear, no one else would have this happen. When that broke, the tube that runs out of the top of the water pump to the back, the water heater outlet tube, ALSO decided to crack - meaning it is essentially useless. Maybe tomorrow I can get all these other parts put on with the exception of that tube until I can order one. Dear Lord, I am so ready for this project to be finished!

Looks like you have my luck, anything that can go wrong, will..... At least it wasnt an overly expensive part. Gotta love our hobby!

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to working on cars! They can be frustrating as hell and yet engender a real feeling of accomplishment, not to mention saving money and knowing it was done right.

Okay! So I went to pull-a-part today to see what I could find. Usually PAP is bountiful with new edge mustangs.. but this time they only had 3 and 2 of the 3 were V8s. The V6 had EXACTLY the piece I needed. I spent $11.02, rather than the $80+ that I know it would have normally cost me. I did a leak test and cleaned it and checked the o-ring seal and it fit perfect on Molly.. it just took me all day to get there and back lol

So tomorrow's forecast here calls for sunshine and the firing up of Miss Molly. Bear with me!
(I only have the upper intake, idler, tensioner, A/C, power steering pump, and alternator left to go!)

Reactions: 2 users
Sad to see it takes so much work going into this car. They are usually bullet proof. I had a 01' V6 5 speed Mustang. Sold it this year at 189K miles. Never had an issue with the car. It got excellent mpg. 32 on the hiway. Once you get it sorted out, I am sure it will give you many trouble free miles.

Sad to see it takes so much work going into this car. They are usually bullet proof. I had a 01' V6 5 speed Mustang. Sold it this year at 189K miles. Never had an issue with the car. It got excellent mpg. 32 on the hiway. Once you get it sorted out, I am sure it will give you many trouble free miles.

I've heard that from a lot of New Edge owners. Unfortunately, the owner before me obviously was a Neanderthal and had no idea how to perform regular maintenance on her. Before my head gasket blew, I had the check engine light off - for 4 days lol. But like you said, once this gets sorted out, I believe she will go for many more miles. She has just a little over 150K.

I'm so close, but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades..

20171229_165751.jpg

I think I'll take off that power steering pump/water pump bracket and sand it and paint it black. It just looks terrible. I'll probably also treat all of the plastic piece so they're nice and clean. The only things I have left to put on is the power steering pulley, coil pack, plug wires, and radiator! I saved the easy things for last that way if I have to go back and fix whatever, I'll have time to do it during the day.

*Side note: Molly has killed two wrenches and a screwdriver with this job.

I hit the 'like' button on the water pump post. You didn't need that ratty POS back on that motor anyhow.

Did you or are you planning to replace the oil pump with it apart?

By the way, that's a pretty decent looking intake... Like: I wonder what it would look like polished, kind of decent. :chin

So everything is assembled ad ready to go, minus the belt. I went to change the oil, something that is super basic. I drained the oil and then i went to get the oil filter off, and the thing won't budge. I had an oil changing service change my oil this last time, which I will not do ever again. I tried everything.

It looks like I will be removing the adapter and trying to put it in a vice to get the filter off!

You should be able to get that off without taking the oil cooler off. As noobz said, do you have a strap wrench or oil filter wrench? Or if all else fails, go old school and drive a screw driver through the filter and use that to loosen it.

It broke the oil filter wrench I bought. I tried the screwdriver and that didn't work. I tried putting a pry bar through it and turning it to get a little more leverage. Still nothing. I don't have a picture on me at the moment and it is currently 12 degrees outside lol