Must Admit

I typically drive slow and granny shift. Rarely do I ever see boost and I think to myself "why do I even have a supercharger?" I then do that occasional roll through a 4 way stop, shift to second gear and hammer it. With the tires smokin', Kenne Bell whining, tires finally hook, my pants get'n tight, my stock original head gaskets stressing and I then remember why I love my supercharged 5.0 :D
:burnout:

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Not really. If anything I think you hear the exhaust note more, which I like.

I'm just cruising the neighborhood most of the time. I only put the Sunroof back in when I park the car in the garage to keep dust out.

I'm in between on that. Everything in my car was new/ replaced/upgraded with the intention of being able to beat on it occasionally. And occasionally I beat on it. Not a full on wail for 15 seconds,...more like a first, through second gear smoker, finally stuffing it into third and lifting...but that happens in 5-7 seconds.
At the same time, I often think that I'm living on borrowed time, and consider what it would be like w/o the turbo for the sake of making it less likely to break something, and more reliable at the same time...
But....
What's the point of building power into one of these cars if your afraid of breaking it? Or afraid to drive it 50 miles for fear of it not making it there and back? If you're gonna baby it, leave it alone.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure my stock T5 won't hold up to my TFS headed combo I'm building, but I don't care. As long as I can get it back to the garage I'm good

Now my daily driver that takes me to work and my other important responsibilities? Different story

I want to hammer my size 12s down on the gas peddle.....but....for now... I like my car being of jack stands. :confused:

I've been there. "Why don't you go to the track with us :taco:?" "Because I am going to break again, and I don't have any money." Now I just don't care. If it breaks, it breaks.

Kurt

My car rarely gets driven, but if it does, it sees full throttle multiple times.

Joe

As indicated by:

upload_2017-10-27_12-50-52.jpeg

:O_o:

If the car is stock, you can get away with being pretty aggressive with relative safety.
I probably had over 300 track passes on slicks (5000-6000rpm launches, depending on track conditions) with nothing upgraded but the clutch and shifter.
If it has a stock shifter, banging gears can bend clutch forks... shifters are inexpensive and easy to install with minimal knowledge or tools.
Would not worry about the stock clutch on street radials, my stock one was still going strong with about 250 passes on slicks... only reason I upgraded the clutch was thinking it would make me quicker... and while in the end I went quicker, it was more temperamental on the street, and on the start line. Had to dial in more wheel spin (to offset the clutch slip I had with the stock one) to keep from dragging rpms down.

oh, I was not full power shifting, slight lift, it would still rev between gears, crunch going into the next and scratch the slicks on every gear change, so, certainly not babying it

Granted I replaced a lot of wear items on mine three years ago when I got it to run on road course. Ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, bushings, U joints, and LSD clutches. Drove it for six track days, daily driver over the summer, driven quite hard most of the time, so much fun. Only failure was the radiator cap and it was original, they are pretty tuff. Have a Spec Miata hoping to wtw race in near future, had a three day track event at Mid Ohio over this last Labor day weekend and motor broke first morning. Took it home and got the Mustang, drove it on track the next two days with no problems.

Attachments

• 21414597_2005249486372323_3518088177820133129_o.jpg
    21414597_2005249486372323_3518088177820133129_o.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 96
Is the engine original? I might baby it if the original engine is still in there. My 1993 has its’ original motor and I am contemplating an original resto even at 184,000+ miles. I bought it with 183,000 miles. Haha!

I definitely have a tendency to take it easy to avoid breaking something that I don't feel like fixing, and then some joker gets in my way, usually cause they're clueless morons and my temper takes over and well it's suddenly matted for a few seconds, then my brain takes over and back to putting around.