Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok back to car stuff. Lets wrap up some of the last things to take care of here.

Looking at tips. What's the difference between these two flowmaster tips
1671480405306.png

The ones on the right (reading the description) are aluminized steel with stainless tips. The left ones are all 409 stainless with stainless tips. Why is it cheaper? Am i missing something?
Holley has an uber strict MAP policy and an end of year sale so everyone is just matching the price on holleys site..... If you are good with a certain dealer you can ask if they will beat it... they just can't advertise it or allow a discount code to show a lower price but they can sell below it... Its getting legally very close to price fixing

Those also made in China these days....

• Sponsors (?)

It's just holley.. Example check the prices on QuickTime bell housings, sfi one is cheaper then non sfi for fox body t5 right now... Probably some bean counter or trying to move inventory. The discounts seem to match exactly what they raised them in the last price hikes they had, knowing Holley another one will be coming in January.

Has anyone used the SR Performace tailpipes?

One of the reviews specifically says they clear the MM panhard bar. I would just like to know the grade of stainless. I like how they appear to be one piece of pipe vs the Flowmaster unit having a couple of welds.

Has anyone used the SR Performace tailpipes?

One of the reviews specifically says they clear the MM panhard bar. I would just like to know the grade of stainless. I like how they appear to be one piece of pipe vs the Flowmaster unit having a couple of welds.

I was told in another thread somewhere that these are the same as the LMR tailpipes, which both are made by Pypes. The LMR ones are said to be 304 stainless, so if it is true the SR ones are the same then you can assume they are also 304.

Those tailpipe prices have doubled over the last few years
Tarrifs, shipping and profits...

Here's some damaged China stainless flowmasters on lmrs flea bay page.. Chineseum stainless for ya.

The part number on the box is for a full cat back. So who knows what you will get, I bought one of there clearance acme upholstery kits a few years back dirt cheap when they dropped most of them, said it was rears only, got a full kit front and back lol. But that's when they where blowing stuff out. Now they only seem to go down to cost on damaged returns.

Last edited:
Ok back to car stuff. Lets wrap up some of the last things to take care of here.

Looking at tips. What's the difference between these two flowmaster tips
1671480405306.png

The ones on the right (reading the description) are aluminized steel with stainless tips. The left ones are all 409 stainless with stainless tips. Why is it cheaper? Am i missing something?
Ten bucks

Tarrifs, shipping and profits...

Here's some damaged China stainless flowmasters on lmrs flea bay page.. Chineseum stainless for ya.

The part number on the box is for a full cat back. So who knows what you will get, I bought one of there clearance acme upholstery kits a few years back dirt cheap when they dropped most of them, said it was rears only, got a full kit front and back lol. But that's when they where blowing stuff out. Now they only seem to go down to cost on damaged returns.
Oh man. I didnt know this was a thing. I have a $50 gift card and they have a drivers side 1993 map pocket for $50...
Edit* I lost the GD gift card sometime between yesterday afternoon and now. FML

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as blemished axles? And if so, do you really want them?

They aren’t listed as blem. They are listed as installed and removed. They don’t look like they had lugs installed in them so I imagine someone stuck them in and found out the offset wasn’t right for them.

$220 vs $295 or so. Is it worth it over buying new? Ehhh

Its not all blems just returns... American muscle used to have one too but sold so much broken junk I think they got booted lol, there no longer registered on fleabay.... Cj's has one to but seems to be only the odd clearance item vs returns.

They aren’t listed as blem. They are listed as installed and removed. They don’t look like they had lugs installed in them so I imagine someone stuck them in and found out the offset wasn’t right for them.

$220 vs $295 or so. Is it worth it over buying new? Ehhh

Might want to check summit or jets pro shop prices, that's about what I paid for the 31 spline set a couple years ago... Not sure if they went up. Need an nhra membership for the programs.

Some years back, roughly around 2012 or 2013, Flowmaster had some all stainless cat backs made with 409. I think they stopped making them after only two or three years. I was lucky and got my SN95 system at blow-out pricing early in 2015 ($400). The only difference in part numbers was an "8" tacked onto the beginning of the regular part number for the aluminized American Thunder systems with stainless tips. I wonder if those 409 tails are left over stock from that build or if they've continued making them as pieces without the flow tubes / mufflers. I haven't looked at their stuff in a while, but at quick glance it seems like they're selling the aluminized cat backs for more than the stainless system's list price from back in day. (This inflation is nuts!)

Last edited:
Thing is, I already have an aluminized cat-back from flowmaster on the car.

It’s 20 years old, and in good shape. I do not know if I’ll get the tailpipes out of the mufflers in a way that I can reused them with the Borlas. I think I’m going to try.

However, then I’ll have SS flow tubes and mufflers, with 20 year old aluminuzed tailpipes (with SS tips). Do I want to save the $300 or roll the dice on new fully SS tips?

I think I’ll wait til I get the old exhaust out of the car and check the fit.

Reason I want these pipes is because I need panhard bar clearance

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. I guess we should get that exhaust swapped in.

Put in my crappy SN95 seat as I’ve been nervous with the Recaros getting in/out when working on the car. Now I don’t need to worry if I leave a tool in my pocket.

These seats are very comfortable. I’m seriously contemplating going back to the my good set of 99-04 seats. I know they don’t look nearly as good as my Recaros.. But we will discuss that later.

I’m pulling the rear axle out. That way I can drop the exhaust out in one piece. I want to try to work the tailpipes out of the mufflers and that’s just not gonna happen under the car. Plus I want to clean the rear end up, install fox lenght axles and maybe do new clutch packs in the T-lok. Mine are original. I don’t want to do that all under the car. I’m getting too old.

C881CD4E-DD01-4A2D-938A-1A64DA2801E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.