Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Got around to removing the support bar on the radiator and straightening out the main rib. I had a plan to reinforce it if necessary, but it wasn’t needed. There was no flex. Radiator mounted up perfectly.

Dropped in the car and all the coolant hoses installed. Still need to wire it up, but I’m very happy with this setup.

My Chase Bays coolant bottle is in the mail. I think I have a good spot to mount it. Time to grab some coolant from local parts store.

Edit: also, used the LMR radiator hold-down vs the stock clamps. I like it. I think the hood prop will interfere with it but I’m pretty sure I’m going with hood struts instead

C601C050-9333-452E-9EBC-2C47F1D41096.jpeg
6F32FACD-7A6A-41ED-9209-30BA1A80769D.jpeg
DB3CA50B-CA8D-4CE1-9C44-87E233B74210.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok. Buttoned up some loose ends. Checking wiring, set the dist to tdc#1 and started filling with coolant. My overflow bottle isn’t here yet but I can just use a water bottle for now. Fans aren’t wired but I don’t plan on running it that long.

Need to grab some distilled water in the AM….but I think I’m ready to start it up.

Unfortunately it’s going to rain tomorrow. I want to start it outside in the driveway vs in the garage. You know…in case it catches on fire or something ;)

I’m nervous. Lot of work to get to this point.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Rigged up a temp overflow bottle. Still triple checking. Just remembered I need to set the fuel pressure still. Last thing to do.

Miserable rainy day outside….so first start on hold

A9C3DCC9-F0AB-4489-A50E-6758E9FE6675.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Ok back to work.

Started it a few more times without issue. Set the idle screw. Was going to set the timing but really need to make sure the radiator is full to avoid overheating.

So here’s the issue. Seems there is an air bubble I cannot burst. Car is getting up to temp but it does not appear coolant is flowing. Upper hose is cold and feels like there is air inside as there is no resistance when I squeeze it. Lines to heater core are warm, but when I put the heat on it cools off rather fast. I’ve tried 3-4 different cycles and still can’t get the radiator to start moving coolant through it

I put 2.75 gallons in so far. Capacity is 3.5 gallons. I have roughly 1.25 gallons of air I need to purge out somehow.

I have an idea.

This line was mostly meant to be temporary. However it’s full of air and also the highest point on the engine. If I use a vacuum pump here (with liquid separator in line of course) and fill the overflow with coolant, I should be able to suck the air out while drawing coolant in from the overflow. Might not fill it up all the way, but should displace enoigh air to start to get some coolant moving?

93969B3B-029B-44A8-9B62-AC90C5909FEF.jpeg

Also, she moved on her own power for the first time in 2 years 2 months today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How about just pull that bolt out, prop it up higher than the rad and keep filling the rad until all your air is out of the system.

Better yet, replace with a clear hose (temporarily) so you can see that the coolant has burped at least to that point. Then plug the hose and go through a engine running cycle.

How about just pull that bolt out, prop it up higher than the rad and keep filling the rad until all your air is out of the system.

Better yet, replace with a clear hose (temporarily) so you can see that the coolant has burped at least to that point. Then plug the hose and go through a engine running cycle.

Tried a version of that. Didn’t work. It’s like there’s an air pocket which won’t move.

Gave up for the day (although I didn’t try much) to get ready to take the kiddos out for Halloween.

Prob won’t be able to start it up until next weekend as my typical wrenching time is after 9pm. The car is pretty damn loud now. Definitely doing to ditch the flows for the Borlas to quiet it down a tad.

I’ll likely start putting the rest of the ac hoses on and pull a vacuum on the system, and work on fan wiring.

I was tempted to drive it up the street and back but I don’t want to do that until I at least have coolant circulating

Definite smile on my face each time I start it up

Was able to get another 1/4+ gallon in this way. This pipe was empty. A little squeezing of hoses burped some more air into radiator.

Unfortunately no time to fire up and warm up to see if coolant starts flowing. Will need to wait to see

766900DA-FD69-4A48-A9E8-442B35597AC0.jpeg

I love how it sounds. It’s just loud!

If I was 20 I’d be all over it but I’m turning into an old fart. I’d kinda like to cut it down to….half.

I also think the Borla are straight thru mufflers so they may even give me some HP.

LMR offers a heater tube that doesn't have that coolant port for the egr if you didn't want to deal with blazing it over but it also looks like you maybe keeping it since your actually using it in the pictures :)

Not really using it but more like a temp solution. One day in the future I’ll likely address it for a cleaner solution with the tube without the nipple.

Right now, it’s low on the priority list

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.