my kidneys hurt...i need to make my car a smoother ride

stangirl92

Mar 16, 2002
Conowingo, MD
I know back in 92 when the original owner bought my 5.0 is was a smoother ride than it is now. My car is the worst ride ever..i know its not a luxury car... but man... i hit bumps or even uneven parts in the road and my car just gets eaten by them...it slams down, my whole console bangs and my convertable top moves around....what can i do to make it a comfortable ride again? I did the push test on the front end.. and it pretty solid... no bouncing... what can i do????? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

yah same here! i think my shocks are 15 years old! LOL, anyways, u can get new suspension pretty cheap.

fox mustang 87-93 has

2 front struts
2 rear shocks

and 2 quad shocks in the rear (horizontally mounted)

As you can see i did some research (i get my tax return soon).

On ebay I am ordering KYB GR-2 shocks ( 2 front struts,2 rear shocks ) for 180$ !!! They are supposed to give the best quality ride out of all the KYB's.
Then the quad shocks i saw in latemodel restoration supply, each of them is around 32$.

So total, you are looking at 250$ (not including installation)

hope that helps!

thanks alot I havent changed the struts since i have had the car.. like 7 years.. oops :nonono: so i think i will purchase those that you said.. i just replace the rear shocks.. but the quad ones have never been changed and like i said the front havent ever been changed so i bet that will do it!! :D

From two years of investigation of mustang convertible's-I have learned that KYB are very expensive and dont give a smooth ride. I am going to invest in Blistens or better yet Tokicos. Also, change your strut Isolators(they are rubber and are on the top and bottem of strut. Get the polurethane ones. Also, for advanced ride smoothness get Coilovers though you will tubular a arms and caster plates. Also, if you dont have a sway bar get one. If you have one change the bushing endlinks. sine we are on the subject of suspension. Convertbles need subframes connetors. I boiught mine for $35 buck! they are from Cgs. Also, change your torque boxes0I think they are $80?

Having a vert is f-ing sweet in the summer time but is a biyatch is the winters isn't it?

Mine had a set of Eibach lowering springs in it. They were installed by the previous owner, and I didnt know about it. I changed out my springs and shocks, much nicer ride now. Try cleaning you springs off and see if they are stock or marked with an Eibach logo or something. Stock springs could be worn out by now, they wear out faster if you car ever sat in one place for a long time.

well the springs are definately stock... but i dont have the money to do springs and struts.. i replaced the rear shocks..so i am in need of struts... i read reviews about bilsteins and they sound awesome performance and ride wise. They are pricey though... if i dont have the money for those which seem to be top of the line.. then what is the next best.. ?? Seems like the reviews are good on one brand.. but then i go to another and they bash the one I just read.. confusing... i just want a smoother ride. that goes over bumps easier and handles better. what would you suggest. I read that KYB GR2 are "too soft" .. if you have a mustang that is stock all around and replaced with something and realized a slap in the face diff let me know please! :banana:

I have Bilsteins all the way around mated with H&R springs on my vert. I hate to bust everyones bubble but the ride isnt that smooth as one would expect. My Bilsteins feel like they are more geared for aggressive driving and that's where they really do shine. I imagine if you go with a FMS "B" spring the ride will be alot better due to there being more shock travel, the H&R's drop the front considerabley on a vert which makes the ride harsh. Just my .02