My new project! (pics)

So, I bought 2 new front tires (a more reasonably sized 225/45/17, perfect size), two new front shocks, idler arm bushings, and new tie rod adjusting sleeves. I didn't replace the tie rod ends, but I checked them and they don't have any slack/slop, so I cleaned them up to where they look new, cleaned all the old grease out, put on new energy suspension tie rod boots and new grease inserts, regreased them, and it does great now. I also took my time doing a home alignment, I took extra care and paid alot attention to detail on this. I'm still going to put it on a nice aligment machine, but so far it drives better than even my 04 GT, and after a couple hundred miles with close scrutiny on the tires, it seems to be wearing the tires evenly.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a couple of pics from the last week or so.

I know, it doesn't look any different, but it is still cool enough (to me) to post!

One from about two weeks ago:
fairlanejune12-1.jpg

Earlier tonight:
fairlanejune12.jpg

OH!!!!!! I almost forgot!! I broke the radio delete plate back last winter, so when I saw a guy at the Goodguys show here at TMS with a 63 Fairlane selling parts out of the trunk, I had to look.

I ended up with this radio, for only 40$!!! With the right faceplate, knobs and everything! 40$!!!

fairlaneradio.jpg

That's the only year and model of radio/faceplate/knobs that I'm aware of that are like that, I can't believe I found it for 40$!

I can't see the pics at work, but congrats on the score! Ford, for some reason has a few "one year only"/ mid year items...Not good corporate strategery....

I know, the freaking whole bodywork on the 65 Fairlane was one year specific.

The real crazy thing is that I didn't really know how good the score of the one year radio was until last week at the Mid America Ford and Shelby Nationals. I saw a man looking at what looked to be a common type of radio used in most fords in 69 or 70, and he asked the seller what he wanted for it. The seller said it was out of a 70 Mustang and he wanted 150$ for it!! I was like "WTF?? I thought that was a common radio."

On another note, I saw another fellow selling 4 old bumper jacks for 175$ each, just like the original one I still have in the trunk of that Fairlane. I can't even change a rear tire without a bumper jack in that car.

Dude. This thing looks awesome AS IS. I know you're going for a full restoration, but I love the patina, especially with the modern wheels. I'd say leave the finish. It's so cool!

Great find with the radio!

Reactions: 1 user
Dude. This thing looks awesome AS IS. I know you're going for a full restoration, but I love the patina, especially with the modern wheels. I'd say leave the finish. It's so cool!

Great find with the radio!

Yeah, I've decided to leave it alone. I've kind of fallen in love with the way it looks. I'm going to try to get new carpet for it soon, and the seams on the seats started busting, so I'm either going to have them sewn back up or re covered. I'm also going to finish the a/c.

I put it in it's first car show today. A friend of mine bought an old Ford dealership down here and is opening up a performance shop. He had a car show today to kick everything off. It was a great turnout to be in such a little town. Almost ran out of room.

It really got a lot of attention. A lot more than my Coupe that was parked right across from it. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pics, but I know they took some that will be on the shop's facebook so I'll post them later when they put them up. Made a few new friends too because of that car. Now I know why people like to put cars in shows. I love watching people check it out and enjoy telling the history of the car. When I only had my 68 I would rather be out racing someone instead of putting it car shows, but now with the Fairlane I see the fun it.

Here's a couple of pics from the last week or so.

I know, it doesn't look any different, but it is still cool enough (to me) to post!

One from about two weeks ago:
fairlanejune12-1.jpg

Earlier tonight:
fairlanejune12.jpg
my brother in law had one just like it .could have been its twin. we used it to tow our dirt bikes 5 of them on a small trailer ,went every were in that thing,barstow ,vegas ,cal.city,kettleman. if you could ride bikes there it was there. the air used to get so cold it would spit ice, the 289 was replaced with a 289 4 v
makes me want to go ridding again

I lost my GrandDad yesterday. If I did one thing right in my life, it was getting this car going when I did. I just happened to have the money then, and knowing that he was getting older, I thought I had better hurry.

I'm just glad he got to see it rolling again and was proud of it. Another of the Greatest Generation is gone.