Narrowed Rear Axle for Fox Body?

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
Rush, NY
Anybody know who does this kind of work? All I can think of is Currie (WAY over priced) and Moser.

I'm thinking about narrowing a rear axle 1.25" per side so I can run the wheels I want. If an 8.8 can be narrowed without too much expense I'll go that route, but if it's the same kind of money to do a 9" then I'll look into doing that (that's a new driveshaft too).

• Sponsors (?)

What you are basically looking at are shortened axle tubes (which can be easily modified with the existing design) and a different sized axle. Unless an axle the size of what you are looking for exists, you're looking at the expense of a custom-sized axle. Is there any particular reason you can't flare/roll the fenders to fit them in there?

trying to do it simple as I can, it looks like Moser is $95 to cut and respline my axles and $85 to narrow my housing. Pretty cheap in my book.

What did you have done and how much did it cost you? If you don't mind my asking. :D

87'GTstang said:
What you are basically looking at are shortened axle tubes (which can be easily modified with the existing design) and a different sized axle. Unless an axle the size of what you are looking for exists, you're looking at the expense of a custom-sized axle. Is there any particular reason you can't flare/roll the fenders to fit them in there?

8" wheel with 4" backspace. Only way to get it compeltely under the car is a narrowed rear axle.

My brother tells me a friend of his has a jig to narrow rear axle housings. Axles may be the only thing I actually need to buy and cut. If that's the case, maybe 9" axle tube ends and appropriate axles are the way to go.....