Fox Need Opinions On Upgrades

• Sponsors (?)

I'm no expert, but I really don't believe converting to mass air is required (if keeping stock cam and heads...) so, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so intake and throttle body, go for it.
With tiny 125cc stock ports in the heads, you are not going to loose any low end throwing an intake and TB on it... just like you didn't when you put long tubes and 2.5" exhaust.

I agree with what has been said- make the car handle, brake better first, then increase the hp. These cars came with terrible brakes and suspension for a 225hp car. Throw another 100hp on them and you are asking for trouble.

If you want to address hp, IMO the order would be
  • gears
  • shifter
  • 94-95 Gt 70MM MAF
  • K&N panel filter
  • good cat back exhaust
  • NOS kit
Then when you are ready, either a good H/C/I or a Vortech.

okay so everyone is sort of saying different things. I want to start the build but it seems like some are saying dont bother until you have a bunch of money to throw at and some are saying to go ahead and go piece by piece. I want to buy one throttle body. I dont want to waste money getting two of them. Same thing with the MAF since i dont have one. when i get my car out of storage i will double check about the speed density but from what im hearing you cannot do future mods like heads and cam without the car being converted to mass air. If anyone can clarify all of this that would be great. I just dont want to be in a position where i could pay one time for things that are needed and end up paying twice for unnecessary parts. Thanks again :)

Reactions: 1 user
Op, this is what I'd do. Save your money for horsepower improvements. I've read so many threads today(super slow work day) that I can't remember what all you've done to the car. Assuming the chassis/suspension/and brakes are done...you can only add power. If your car is still speed density and you don't want to swap out to an aftermarket ecu system(not needed unless you plan on adding significant power), you will need to convert to MAF. Only if you're going to add h/c/i or forced induction is the conversion needed.

All the "little" boltons/swaps(i.e. Intakes,electric wp,etc etc) will add or free up small horsepower improvements. As a total you would feel an improvement but each individual change will be small. Until you can add more air/fuel into the motor via heads,cam,intake and/or supercharger/turbo/nitrous. You should read/research which direction you would like to go in. Then start saving and/or buying individual parts until you have acquired all of them. Then you will have to make sure you have the fuel system,transmission,etc that can support said power level.

Or just concentrate on aesthetics/suspension/brakes/wheels and tires and just enjoy the cars power level.

for the record, on my 87 SD car, I had
  • gears
  • Nitrous
  • intake
  • edelbrock heads
  • headers
  • exhaust
  • SD friendly crane cam- think it was a 2030?
  • U/D pulleys- yeah it was 30 years ago
So you can add to a SD car without converting to MAF. The FAST system and others are SD. The problem comes when you start making big changes in a cam or a blower that the EEC can't compensate for. Then you need a chip burned. If you keep the stock cam, you can add 1.7 rockers and you will be fine.

What people are trying to say is- make a plan, save up, and do it right the first time. It all depends on what your goal, budget is. You will want to swap over to MAF only because it allows better tuning and options down the road..

for the record, on my 87 SD car, I had
  • gears
  • Nitrous
  • intake
  • edelbrock heads
  • headers
  • exhaust
  • SD friendly crane cam- think it was a 2030?
  • U/D pulleys- yeah it was 30 years ago
So you can add to a SD car without converting to MAF. The FAST system and others are SD. The problem comes when you start making big changes in a cam or a blower that the EEC can't compensate for. Then you need a chip burned. If you keep the stock cam, you can add 1.7 rockers and you will be fine.

What people are trying to say is- make a plan, save up, and do it right the first time. It all depends on what your goal, budget is. You will want to swap over to MAF only because it allows better tuning and options down the road..
Thanks. You said that much clearer than I did lol. Man I'm bored and been all over the internet today. Lol

go back 5 posts and read my message again. Waste of time IMO.
I agree but he did ask for what would be next if he chose to go piece by piece. If he wanted to do that then it would probably be the next best thing. It would also be a good project to familiarize himself with the engine and maybe help him decide if HCI is something he'd want to attempt doing in the future.

okay so everyone is sort of saying different things. I want to start the build but it seems like some are saying dont bother until you have a bunch of money to throw at and some are saying to go ahead and go piece by piece. I want to buy one throttle body. I dont want to waste money getting two of them. Same thing with the MAF since i dont have one. when i get my car out of storage i will double check about the speed density but from what im hearing you cannot do future mods like heads and cam without the car being converted to mass air. If anyone can clarify all of this that would be great. I just dont want to be in a position where i could pay one time for things that are needed and end up paying twice for unnecessary parts. Thanks again :)
There will never be a perfect answer on what to do next when it comes to cars. Everyone has different opinions on what they think is best and no one answer is the key to success. That's why we all mod our cars in the first place instead of buying saleen and roush mustangs. Its more fun to do it your way. Keep doing research and you'll get an idea of what you want.