Fox Need Opinions On Upgrades

A simple explorer swap will get you damn close. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if that is your realistic goal it is the cheapest way to get there.

• Sponsors (?)

A good h/c/i (which is what you'll need) is about 4500$ with all the supporting parts needed. Just a fwiw. That price is for new parts and doesn't include labor. For example the tfs top end kit (which includes heads,cam,intake,timing gears,misc odds and ends) is around 2800$(last time I looked) and is pretty inclusive but you still need a MAF,tb,inj,fuel pump,spark plugs,fluids,and I highly recommend a new balancer,and water pump. There probably is something I'm forgetting but that gives you an idea. Like previously stated I would look for certain parts on the used market. You'll save 33-50% off of new prices on most parts(less if they are still in "like new" or "new in the box").

Oh and the TFS kit has a hard time breaking 300rwhp. Some do but most are around 290 and there are better parts out there but you would have to piece the project together

Reactions: 1 user
I live in canada lol so the trickflow top end kit was what i was looking at a while ago but the budget just doesnt allow for it :p especially because of the converted dollar. Coyote swap is also out of the question. Sooo with that aside for now what can i do to piece together a quality build other than the junkyard? parts and brands are welcome to nominate of course since you know what i have already. i also replaced my water pump last summer so thats another thing off the list.

I live in canada lol so the trickflow top end kit was what i was looking at a while ago but the budget just doesnt allow for it :p especially because of the converted dollar. Coyote swap is also out of the question. Sooo with that aside for now what can i do to piece together a quality build other than the junkyard? parts and brands are welcome to nominate of course since you know what i have already. i also replaced my water pump last summer so thats another thing off the list.

How much Canadian greenbacks do you have to spend, eh?

So with the crappy dollar being said what would be the next steps or pieces to the build?
Short of stealing??? Sit on your coins and start scouring for deals. I'm guessing late fall would be the best time as everyone is going to start putting their tows away for the winter.

What would be a good set of aluminum heads to get? also cost efficient or good for the price would be nice as well :p and would the heads not need a better top end set up to work to their full potential? also would converting to mass air be required for them?

Yes to all the above. Here's why I suggest them first. Cost while a factor doesn't have to be bank breaking.
Reason 1- you can't have too large of a head. The big head debate has been crushed over and over again. You can slap an explorer intake on it for cheap and upgrade down the road as funds allow. The rest of your hci will ultimately depend on your head selection and rightly so. They are the last bottle neck for air to reach the cylinders.
2- short of paint heads are likely to be the single most expensive thing you will buy for the car. Getting over that hurdle sooner rather than later will allow you to free up more cash down the road.
3- with the better heads already on the car you can add the other supporting mods such as upgraded fuel injectors, larger maf if you ditch speed density. If you don't swap to maf then you will need a tune. Not a big deal.
4- aluminum heads will shave 60 pounds off the noise of the car.

now as far as a good set of aluminum heads, any specific brands or certain makes i should be looking for? if so which ones specifically? now another question that may sound stupid but will i have a loss of power if i swap just the heads but nothing else in the beginning and also must the MAF be done to make it all work properly and would that be easier than sticking with speed density if thats even allowed because its starting to seem like most people are saying just switch to MAF if you havent already. If i do the switch to mass air will their be any loss in power? i read somewhere that people see a loss compared to speed density but definitely wanted a second opinion on that. Sorry i have so many questions :p really want to do this build right and enjoy it :)

Quite the opposite. You will gain power with the heads. Unlike with the loss of velocity on a short runner intake placed on small heads, the heads will keep gulping air.

I would stay swap from flo tek, pro comp, or any other Chinese manufactured head. The quality isn't there and you will be twice into what they are worth by the time the machine shop finishes with them.
Top of my list is Afr followed by trick flow. Edelbrock heads are OK, not the best. Old Ford racing gt40y heads may not be a bad buy if you can find them but you will have a hard time breaking 300HP.

As to the maf swap I don't think you will notice any loss of performance. The sd cars were slightly stronger but we aren't talking anything significant.

Reactions: 1 users