Need some help with setup?

johnny_munyak

Aug 7, 2008
I've got a 95 Mustang GT that I'm getting ready to do HCI swap. Have a set of ported/polished thumper GT 40's with bigger valves, E303 cam, FMS 65mm TB, ported Explorer/GT40 intake, Pypes stainless shorty headers, X-pipe that is going to be mated up to a flowmaster 40 series catback.

I am having trouble deciding:

1) What injectors do I need as I'm sure the 19lbers will not be sufficient?

2) MAF - Do I need to change this as the stocker is 70 MM, or can it be recalibrated for larger injectors -- 24 lbers or 30's??

3) What MAF should I go with if not utilizing the stocker??

4) Should I get a Sniper chip, SCT tune or twEECer once the parts are installed to make everything work together. I am going to need a tune regardless, but what is the best way to go about it......rely on a program tune, get a custom burned chip, or just get a tweecer and tune away? Tweecer requires you to know what you are doing and how the system works so can get dicey if you don't know what you are doing??

5) Cold air intake -- this thing needs to breathe -- which one? BBK, MAC, K&N?? or save some money and buy one of the knock-off for $80 since they all do about the same thing anyway.....

6) Stock fuel pump -- will it be sufficient for daily driving and street driving or will I require something bigger.

I really need some answers here gentlemen. I need to order the injectors soon so I need to know if 24 or 30's are the right way to go.

I need to know if changing the MAF is necessary or can the car be tuned with the stocker. Is there anything to be gained from a larger MAF if the bottleneck is at the 65 MM TB anyways??

What is the best way to go about tuning this beat once completed?? twEECer, get a custom chip burned, take it to a tuner and dynotune with a custom chip??

HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

I am in the middle of almost the exact same swap on my stock 95 GT, gt40 irons, gt40 tube intake, fox 65mm TB conversion, TFS1 cam.

Some have kept their 19lbers with this combo, I would go 24lb so they are not running at max capacity all the time.

2) MAF - Do I need to change this as the stocker is 70 MM, or can it be recalibrated for larger injectors -- 24 lbers or 30's??

The ECU is programmed for the injectors, not the MAF, you can tune for injector size and keep the stock MAF.

4) Should I get a Sniper chip, SCT tune or twEECer once the parts are installed to make everything work together. I am going to need a tune regardless, but what is the best way to go about it......rely on a program tune, get a custom burned chip, or just get a tweecer and tune away? Tweecer requires you to know what you are doing and how the system works so can get dicey if you don't know what you are doing??

Check out quarterhorse on moates.net, thats what I will be using along with a wideband and Binary Edit(BE) software

5) Cold air intake -- this thing needs to breathe -- which one? BBK, MAC, K&N?? or save some money and buy one of the knock-off for $80 since they all do about the same thing anyway.....

6) Stock fuel pump -- will it be sufficient for daily driving and street driving or will I require something bigger.

Get a 190 or a 255

I really need some answers here gentlemen. I need to order the injectors soon so I need to know if 24 or 30's are the right way to go.

I need to know if changing the MAF is necessary or can the car be tuned with the stocker. Is there anything to be gained from a larger MAF if the bottleneck is at the 65 MM TB anyways??

What is the best way to go about tuning this beat once completed?? twEECer, get a custom chip burned, take it to a tuner and dynotune with a custom chip??

HELP![/QUOTE]

I been running a Thumper combo for 5 yrs and thrown all kinds of parts at it... My experience...

The 19s will be fine..I dyno'd 4 times over with them and everything was plenty safe with a good AFR... running 14 degs timing. Upping to 24s would be fine also... Good deals can be found on MAF/inj combo's. Never had to run over 39 lbs of fuel pressure... so the injectors are nowhere maxxed...

Most prefer Pro-M for MAFs..

I still run the stock EEC.. I added a RPM extender to delete the shift retard feature.. I would dyno it to see where the sweet spot is for timing and to see your AFR and dial that in. I would suggest a Kirban AFR and a gage for tuning.
For your combo you dont need a chip...You stock computer will do just fine. If you want to throw money at a chip then go for it. my car runs mid 13's and still bangs out 18-24 MPG with all stock electrics. I havent come across any mods I threw at mine that required a chip to solve... I have nada driveability issues.

I make my own on CAI's... some are crazy money... Switch your headers to LTs if you want it to breathe better...

Walbro 190 ... your gonna want to make sure its got plenty of fuel.. the stocker wont due... to risky

I've just about gotten to where I respond to threads like this with ...
If you really wanna get into self tuning :shrug:

I like being able to have data to look at for a baseline and compare
against to see if gains have been made :nice:

I also want to be able to duplicate any condition that might happen
in the real world :nice:

To make all that happen you need to be able to datalog
and
You will need to have a Wide Band
and
I feel you get the most accurate results tuning on the street

I know the drawbacks :bang:
but
You see real time load that way ;)
and
That is not always the case when dyno tuning :(

Tweecer is not without its faults but it can accomplish all the above

If you were gonna go that route with THAT combo ...........

1 24's
2 OEM
3 OEM
4 I really enjoy self tuning :banana:
One has more options available to them with that route ;)
Only you can answer if you might wanna take control of your tune :shrug:
however
These Days ... Tons & Tons of info is easily available to Tweecer tune :Word:

Yes ... Other self tuning options are available to folk these days :nice:
and
Before you invest that much cash :crazy:

It would certainly be wise to check into the other methods :D

5 Make your own CAI for such a small amount of cash
6 255lph ... 190 will suffice
however
255 will give you a bit more volume .....
and
The additional amount of cash is minimal :)

Grady

i would personally get a steeda 19, or a crane 2031, or even a tfs1 cam instead of the e-cam. but if you already have the e-cam then so be it. as stated earlier, 19lbs should be sufficient but the only way to know is to tune it with a tweecer or some other tuning device to see what the duty cycle of the injectors are. you will definitely be safe with some 24s. if you run the 19s then i would definitely stick with the stock maf as it will be the most accurate. i would also look into making your own cai or i can make one for you. if you decide to make your own, i would put the maf in the fenderwell with the filter attached to it. also recommend upgrading your fuel pump with a regulator. i plan on tuning my car myself with either a pms or tweecer. and as stated earlier, tuning on the street will give you a better tune because the car is in open air and the car is moving, not stationary.

it wont run well with the stock maf and 24lb injectors until you tune it. the computer will think it has 19s and it has 24s and it will be really rich. you would be better off with the 19s until you get a maf for 24s or a tune