New Dyno #'s I should be scared

ironhead498

Dec 6, 2008
Got a chance to turn the rollers yesterday to check the A/F#'s and It made more than I was expecting!

The reason for the scare is cause it's a stock short block with cast pistons and about 100,000 miles....lol
That was with 12lbs of boost.
One question I've got is what is a good % number to go with to figure out crank hp? Its got a 5 speed with a twin disc, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55 gears and a cobra rear brake package. The motor has underdrives, no a/c or smog, and an electric fan.
I've always heard that for a stick car that 12 to 15% is a good number to go with for drivetrain loss.

Just thought I'd try to post up a vid and see if I could share it with everyone.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe turn the boost down to preserve the block a little longer. Your way past the limits of the stock block. Start saving up for that Dart block. The torque turbo's put down is sick. My old 1986 Buick Grand National made like 550 ft. lbs of torque with 19psi and little V-6 out of a Garrett TE44.

I hear ya on turning the boost down a little.
When Kurgan tuned it about a year ago, it made 505hp and 497 ftbls at 10 psi. When he started he said when we hit 500 we'll call it good. The weather that day was 95* and humid as hell. Where as yesterday it was about 60* in the shop and about half the humidity. The A/F was right 11.7 for the whole pull.
Since Bob had tuned it the only changes I made were in the rear gear, went from a 3.73 to a 3.55, and the rear disc conversion.
I figured it might make a little more power cause of the weather conditions, but it surprised me a little.
Both runs were made on a dyno jet, so I don't know how much difference that would realy cause.

I also love the torque curve! It made over 500ftbls from 2800 all the way to 6000!

txstang84, the motor combo is TFS 170cc heads, Track heat intake and their small cam, 70mm bbk tb (you can hear that stupid thing whistling in the video at start up), egr delete, underdrive pullies, a/c and smog delete, black magic fan, msd 6al. Again it's all on a stock cast piston shortblock with 100,000 miles.
The fuel system is pretty simple with 55lb injectors, stock rails, bbk regulator 255 intank and Anderson Ford's Big pump external.
The turbo kit is a B&G Customs hot side, 70mm Power Master turbo, I did all the cold side myself with a Godspeed intercooler, Tial 50mm BOV, and 45mm waistgate, PMAS 3" blowthrough MAF.

I know at that power level the stock block and pistons are on borrowed time, but I've put about 2000 miles on it since Kurgan tuned it and so far so good. Granted I don't drive it like a complete idiot, most of the time, :D

txstang84, the motor combo is TFS 170cc heads, Track heat intake and their small cam, 70mm bbk tb (you can hear that stupid thing whistling in the video at start up), egr delete, underdrive pullies, a/c and smog delete, black magic fan, msd 6al. Again it's all on a stock cast piston shortblock with 100,000 miles.
The fuel system is pretty simple with 55lb injectors, stock rails, bbk regulator 255 intank and Anderson Ford's Big pump external.
The turbo kit is a B&G Customs hot side, 70mm Power Master turbo, I did all the cold side myself with a Godspeed intercooler, Tial 50mm BOV, and 45mm waistgate, PMAS 3" blowthrough MAF.

I know at that power level the stock block and pistons are on borrowed time, but I've put about 2000 miles on it since Kurgan tuned it and so far so good. Granted I don't drive it like a complete idiot, most of the time, :D

Nice setup dude-I thought about the B&G turbo setup once or twice, but I found a good deal on a Vortech S-trim setup...now I'm goin 4V single turbo :) I know what you're dealing with on that 70mm tb...I had the same issues when I was N/A, but as soon as I threw the blower on, all I heard was V1. I'm gonna guess you've already started saving for a 4 bolt bottom end...

Jason, as far as the compresion ratio goes, the heads have 61cc combustion chambers and the short block is out of a 94 t-bird, so I'm guessing it's around 9.5 to 1.

Tex, that 4v single turbo set-up would be killer in a fox! As far as the B&G hot side goes...well it works, but it's a real PIA to get to the spark plugs on the pasanger side. The down pipe location REALY sucks. You have to put the down pipe in place with the header at the same time other wise you'd never get the down pipe in. Makes it a real chore to bolt that header up, and you can't drop the motor in with the headers on cause they are just to wide where the cross over bolts up at.
If and when I have to take it back apart I'm going to cut the down pipe in half where it goes down along the firewall to hopefully remidy that issue. That or I've been looking at getting a hot side from HP Performance. I think I like how their set-up is layed out.

As far as saving up for a 4bolt...well I'm not sure what direction to go in yet. I've been thinking about just doing a forged piston 306 and keeping the power levels where it's at, mybe a little less. Doing a 4bolt 331 or 347 would be awsome, but then the fuel system would need some upgrades along with the rest of the drive train. It's got a 3550 TKO in it now that's also probably on borrowed time.

The real question is where do you stop.:shrug: