New Exhaust With Pics!

spiff

Aug 7, 2006
Canada
After a lot of debate, I decided not to buy any cat back. Instead, I went with a custom exhaust from the headers, and dumped before the rear axle.

I had gotten exhaust done on my 94 before and the work was okay, but it wasn't anything to write home about. For this car, I knew the man for the job was a guy at.. of all places.. The local Kal Tire. He has done all of the exhausts for my friends and all of the redneck pickups around here, so I brought my car to him. I got some Flo-Pro mufflers myself from a friend, and gave them to him and let him go to work.

I got the car back, and here was what I saw.
exh4.jpg

He did a custom H pipe for me, and, well, look at the welds around the pipe! The fit and finish is top notch too!

exh1.jpg

Moving on to the mufflers, He gave them a slight bead for integrity and clamped them on for easy muffler changes! Thats a bonus!

exh2.jpg

The mufflers were hung in the stock locations, nice and tucked away, but not so close that there are driveline issues.

exh3.jpg

And finally, the turndowns that he welded onto the mufflers. The welds here don't even look like they were done by a human. Plust the turndowns are really nicely crafted too, and finished well.

Overall, I had no idea the system would be of this quality, have this good of a fit, and be as affordable as it was. I'm happy I took this route.

As for the mufflers, they sound really great!! www.flopro.com is where you can check them out. They are pretty cheap, but the quality of them is amazing too. I would compare them to Mac mufflers in sound, they are pretty damn loud, but the best thing about them is, there is NO DRONE on the highway. I mean absolutely no sound at all until you get into the throttle. They are loud in all RPM ranges when you're into it 1/8 to full throttle, and they drone at 1000RPM. If you're crusing above 1100RPM, There is no drone at all.

Anyways, I thought I'd share that with you guys. If you have any custom exhausts you got fabbed up and are happy with... or even unhappy with.. Post em up!

• Sponsors (?)

Im gonna tip him, I didn't though at the time because the owner finalized my invoice and i paid him because Brad was taking care of another customer. I felt bad about that too but I haven't been around there to stop in. I will for sure though.

damn, work must be good, but thats alot of money, why didnt you go with like a bbk for 120ish. Only reason im considering custom is because i cant find a xpipe to fit my headers.

The reason I didn't go with a premade H or X pipe is by the time I bought one, and had it installed and got mufflers to bolt up, it would be more than 416, and plus there is no denying that a custom exhaust fits better, plus Its not all sectioned up.

If you want just your midpipe done mob, Im sure it would be much much less to get that done, I would get a custom x once you get your heads and headers on, and throw those bullets back on after the X. That'd be wicked!

Yea, I cant find a premade xpipe to fit my long tubes. At first i was gonna buy a universal one, have them cut it and stuff to fit, but by the time i buy it, ($130) have him custom make it (150) and all the others itll add up. I was just gonna have the shop cut my hpipe i have now and weld new flanges on it, and save some money. We'll see what will be easier and cheaper. Bullets are def. going back on though.

You could go all out racecar style and have the bullets right up to the headers! Does dynomax make a bullet with a flange on the front and a clamp thingy?

That'd be loud fumey goodness, and give you a lot of power!

spiff said:
You could go all out racecar style and have the bullets right up to the headers! Does dynomax make a bullet with a flange on the front and a clamp thingy?

That'd be loud fumey goodness, and give you a lot of power!

haha nah that would be WAY too loud, and im not making enough power to run that, i still need some piping for velocity.

Well, take it to the shop and get a quote, it cant hurt. Brad said 3 hours to do all of that... I know for a fact it took him longer than that, but thats what he quoted and thats what I paid thankfully. :)

spiff said:
In total it was 416 CDN. $240 Labour at $80/hr. :)

I got my x-pipe 2 1/2" mandrel bent for $150, got my flanges at CTC for $30, mufflers were $80 for the pair, turn downs were $12... I welded it all myself but nothing much to weld, could have used clamps... I have a simular setup but it cost me $272 total...

But the custom H-pipe is nicely done

Boss 351 said:
I got my x-pipe 2 1/2" mandrel bent for $150, got my flanges at CTC for $30, mufflers were $80 for the pair, turn downs were $12... I welded it all myself but nothing much to weld, could have used clamps... I have a simular setup but it cost me $272 total...

But the custom H-pipe is nicely done

What is CTC

They look great, awsome welding. I've got catback Flowmasters and a MAC X pipe on mine.
My wife lives in Canada and she has to take her car in every so often for some kind of smog test BS, actually that's where I am now. Do they do the smog BS where you're at?