New member here from chicago

Hello all ...I have 86 GT for over a year that is mostly stock rust free and unmolested ( unmodified) looking to to go the restomod route with it .also looking to connect with those who have made improvements with a stock 86 engine (E6)

Attachments

• 20230410_132627.jpg
    20230410_132627.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome. Your car looks nice. I have done heads, cams, intakes, turbos, etc. Best bang in my opinion is leave it right the way it is and put either a turbo or a supercharger on it.

Cruise around here and you'll get an idea of what members have done to their stangs, the issues and what works or not.
I would update the brakes, wheels-tires, fix the interior if needed, heads, cam, intake and then enjoy the ride. Remember it's like 40+ years old. Don't start comparing it to the new cars on the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, it is a speed density car so they are a little more finicky with mods. You have the option to switch it to mass air but that all depends on what your wanting to do with it and your level of electrical and mechanical aptitude.

Also, it is a speed density car so they are a little more finicky with mods. You have the option to switch it to mass air but that all depends on what your wanting to do with it and your level of electrical and mechanical aptitude.
My performance goals are going to be pretty modest so I'm going keep it speed density and sticking with the 19 lb injectors and mild camming The car currently has a 2.73 traction lock rear end which will be changed...The heads are the real bottleneck for power production...for me switching to mass air will be easy for me but I'm not there yet

Cruise around here and you'll get an idea of what members have done to their stangs, the issues and what works or not.
I would update the brakes, wheels-tires, fix the interior if needed, heads, cam, intake and then enjoy the ride. Remember it's like 40+ years old. Don't start comparing it to the new cars on the road.
Already on that road with that doing the interior and Brakes new carpet new calipers and slotted rotors paired with ebc red brake pads ...May replace the spindles with later model 87 -93 ones ,so I can run bigger front brakes ....will definitely look for any ideas or advice

Had a 8 inch antenna mast laying around after installing a aftermarket head unit speakers and antenna unit this car had some CB / two way radio mast...needed to go...the stickers well..matter of taste lol
20221126_135100.jpg
20221126_145146.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I am definitely following this build!
I have an ‘86 myself (even though it doesn’t look like an ‘86). My motor is all stock at the moment but my wish is to add power at some point.
I’ve already done the 5 lug conversion, full suspension upgrade, and just an overall cleanup on the car. Hopefully I can lend some advice, and learn a thing or two as well. I’m still speed density, and always contemplating where I want to go with this car.
Ok, enough rambling about me……. With your car as original as it is, I would leave it just as it sits (but I guess that’s my age talking). But if you start to modify, I’d be happy to let you know what worked for me.

Here’s a link to all I’ve done along the way:

86' speed density cam, the best stock cam in any year Fox, leave it be and just add boost.

I wish I could +1 this post again.

Seriously, there are two paths to performance on an 86.

Path 1 includes swapping out the weakest link... The heads. You can't swap heads without doing everything else through the inlet and out the mass air meter that you don't want to swap to. It stacks up fast. Heads, exhaust, springs, pushrods, rockers, intake, throttle body and spacer, the list goes on. Trick Flow Twisted Wedge is the bolt-on option but the support!

Path 2 includes and blower, Fuel Management Unit, and high volume/high pressure fuel pump. Down the road: Larger injectors, Tune or stand-alone, and removal of FMU.

I would turn you onto a Kenne Bell kit but they are [hard] to come by these days. My second pick would be an ATI centri blower. Either one will run just fine on Speed Density.

That a funny looking 86..lol ...
I wish I could +1 this post again.

Seriously, there are two paths to performance on an 86.

Path 1 includes swapping out the weakest link... The heads. You can't swap heads without doing everything else through the inlet and out the mass air meter that you don't want to swap to. It stacks up fast. Heads, exhaust, springs, pushrods, rockers, intake, throttle body and spacer, the list goes on. Trick Flow Twisted Wedge is the bolt-on option but the support!

Path 2 includes and blower, Fuel Management Unit, and high volume/high pressure fuel pump. Down the road: Larger injectors, Tune or stand-alone, and removal of FMU.

I would turn you onto a Kenne Bell kit but they are [hard] to come by these days. My second pick would be an ATI centri blower. Either one will run just fine on Speed Density.
I definitely agree with the two paths to make power outside of swaping in a later motor like a E7 ...I have not shut the door completely on changing to a mass air set up to take advantage adding

Hello all ...I have 86 GT for over a year that is mostly stock rust free and unmolested ( unmodified) looking to to go the restomod route with it .also looking to connect with those who have made improvements with a stock 86 engine (E6)
I’m the original owner of an ‘86 GT. I’ve done the MAF conversion, added TFS TW 170 heads, cam, headers, intake, larger throttle body and MAF, 24 lb injectors. I added ‘87-‘93 front spindles/rotors, rear disc conversion as well as new springs and new suspension rubber. Changed th stock 2.73 rear gears to 3.55 gears.

My car dyno’d at 315 HP/349 lb ft. My only regret is the cam, as it affected driveability. On the other hand, keeping the car stock would also have been a good choice.

Bill

I’m the original owner of an ‘86 GT. I’ve done the MAF conversion, added TFS TW 170 heads, cam, headers, intake, larger throttle body and MAF, 24 lb injectors. I added ‘87-‘93 front spindles/rotors, rear disc conversion as well as new springs and new suspension rubber. Changed th stock 2.73 rear gears to 3.55 gears.

My car dyno’d at 315 HP/349 lb ft. My only regret is the cam, as it affected driveability. On the other hand, keeping the car stock would also have been a good choice.

Bill
The trick Flow heads has been recommended to me before how was your bottom end clearance with these heads and what type of cam you are using?

The trick Flow heads has been recommended to me before how was your bottom end clearance with these heads and what type of cam you are using?
The piston-to-valve clearance wasn’t exactly measured, but verified there was no clearance issue. The cam was the Ford E303, the only thing I’d change, as mine seems to make the engine jerk/surge at low RPMs (just above idle.). Haven’t been able to fix it via tune. The TFS heads were known to work well with the ‘86 pistons.

Bill

The piston-to-valve clearance wasn’t exactly measured, but verified there was no clearance issue. The cam was the Ford E303, the only thing I’d change, as mine seems to make the engine jerk/surge at low RPMs (just above idle.). Haven’t been able to fix it via tune. The TFS heads were known to work well with the ‘86 pistons.

Bill
Did you go aftermarket ECU or an A9L?

Bill

That sounds very similar to my old setup. I clayed it up, there was space, and I pressed on with pride. Never did bother to actually measure. The only reason I did clay at all was because dudes here [insisted]. lol

I had this setup running on SD for nearly a year. :rock:

That sounds very similar to my old setup. I clayed it up, there was space, and I pressed on with pride. Never did bother to actually me andasure. The only reason I did clay at all was because dudes here [insisted]. lol

I had this setup running on SD for nearly a year. :rock:
I will probably do the same to be safe the e cam was also my choice lift wise both heads and cam is on my list which will be a big part of my budget ...