New to site

I'm new to this site. I bought this 89 Mustang two years ago and am now looking into addressing a few problems that have come up. It started to sputter at around 4500-5000rpm and also at lower rpm when under load. Also not every time but is happening more and more now. I've replaced the plugs
Wires
Filter
Fuel pump with no change. I don't have a great deal of experience with sensors and replays and it has crossed my mind to just switch to carb. I'm leaving for something advice on what to look for and what to try to change first.

Thanks Bart

Attachments

• 16607457368988036908710191637503.jpg
    16607457368988036908710191637503.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm new to this site. I bought this 89 Mustang two years ago and am now looking into addressing a few problems that have come up. It started to sputter at around 4500-5000rpm and also at lower rpm when under load. Also not every time but is happening more and more now. I've replaced the plugs
Wires
Filter
Fuel pump with no change. I don't have a great deal of experience with sensors and replays and it has crossed my mind to just switch to carb. I'm leaving for something advice on what to look for and what to try to change first.

Thanks Bart
***Looking for some advice on what to look for and what to try to change first***

First advise is not to use those plugs, platinum, or iridium. Regular Autolite or Motorcraft copper core plugs. Check the distributor pick up under the plate the rotor button sits on. To replace it the distributor has to come out and the gear has to be removed.

Oh...and welcome to the forum. I've been involved with this forum since 2015. Best group of helpful guys I've ever seen in a forum. There's someone that can give advise on anything mustang related here.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Welcome. I concur on not running those plugs. More of a gimmick than anything. The iginitions on these cars seem to be most happy running stock copper plugs gapped at 0.052" - 0.056".

I would pull the codes first and go from there. If it's a bad sensor, it should come up here. Keep in mind you'll need to pull the key off, and the engine running codes.

A cheap code reader if you do not want to use a paper clip and count CEL flashes

A bunch of youtube vids showing how to run the reader.

Any more engine bay pics? Might help spot something that looks out of place or incorrect. From the one shot i see, i don't see a fan shroud on the radiator. If you have any overheating issues, that might be a culprit

Reactions: 1 users
@Bronco Bart if you stick with this forum, and give good feed back, you’ll get the answers you need. These guys know what they’re talking about and know how to solve problems……. Even I know a thing or two here and there. Lol….. but I’m usually on the asking end of the problems!

Thanks alot everybody. I'll get my hands on a code reader and go from there.

It does leak a bit of antifreeze form the around the buckets but don't have a overheating problem. The rad says life time warranty right on it. Not sure if that applies to me not being the original owner or have the receipt for the rad. Ya I can take some more pics of the engine bay. I was also thinking of trying to get rid of the smog pump. There is no E-tests where I live.

Thanks alot everybody. I'll get my hands on a code reader and go from there.

It does leak a bit of antifreeze form the around the buckets but don't have a overheating problem. The rad says life time warranty right on it. Not sure if that applies to me not being the original owner or have the receipt for the rad. Ya I can take some more pics of the engine bay. I was also thinking of trying to get rid of the smog pump. There is no E-tests where I live.
I took mine off...It's acceptable where I live

Welcome. I concur on not running those plugs. More of a gimmick than anything. The iginitions on these cars seem to be most happy running stock copper plugs gapped at 0.052" - 0.056".

I would pull the codes first and go from there. If it's a bad sensor, it should come up here. Keep in mind you'll need to pull the key off, and the engine running codes.

A cheap code reader if you do not want to use a paper clip and count CEL flashes

A bunch of youtube vids showing how to run the reader.

Any more engine bay pics? Might help spot something that looks out of place or incorrect. From the one shot i see, i don't see a fan shroud on the radiator. If you have any overheating issues, that might be a culprit
I tried to get my wife to order the code reader but I don't think they ship to Canada. Will have to find a similar one here somewhere

Don't need no stink'n utube, we gots Stangnet
:nice:

Reactions: 1 users
I think I have some sputtering too. I asked a knowledgeable shop guy about it and he said maybe clean the fuel injectors. I haven't ran any fuel injector cleaner through my car yet though. It's on my list.