Newbe here with a couple ?'s

66er

Aug 22, 2009
Hello all & this is my 1st post. I am now the proud owner of a 66 Ht. 289 w/auto. As a former GM owner, I have little knowledge of the Mustang world. The last Ford I owned was a 1955 Fairlane WAY back in 1969. So, I will be learning as my mistakes warrant.

Anyway, My car has the 3sp auto floor shifter without console. The shifter is very sloppy. Do they make a rebuild kit for this? Also, do 1st gen mustangs have a high lock to lock steering ratio? This is manual steering. Seems I have to turn the wheel a lot more than my previous non-Ford vehicle.

One more question. Is there a FAQ on "poor man's" front drum to disk how too?

Any links for good sources of parts or forum vendors would be helpful.....

thanks......

• Sponsors (?)

Don't know about the automatic shifter since all I have are manuals...

Manual steering boxes have a higher steering ratio and thus more turns lock-to-lock than power steering boxes.

The "poor man's" disk brake conversion is the Granada swap, but the spindle geometry isn't quite right for the '65-66 Mustangs. There is a lot of information on htese forums about it, mostly pertaining to '65-66 cars. CSRP(screen name "degins" on here) has original/Kelsey-Hayes-style conversions that use the stock V8 front spindles.

There are lots of classic Mustang parts houses....National Parts Depot, CJ Pony Parts, California Mustang, Sacramento Mustang, Mustangs Plus, Mustang Depot, and Tony Branda, to name a few.

First off, welcome aboard and get ready for a lot of "my dad's first car was a Mustang!" type experiences in the parking lots.

Go to at least 4 of the above stated mustang parts websites and order their free catalog, many have exploded view pics of how things go together, plus you'll be able to see what the parts are and what they cost from vendor to vendor. The ones I use most are Nationalpartsdepot.com and mustangsunlimited.com, mainly because they're closest to me so shipping is fast and I get my MU in person every few months for large items. Both of these and others have online catalogs too.

The sloppy shifter is common and an easy fix, there are plastic bushings you can get from any of the suppliers that cost $5-$10 total so you might go over the car a little bit to see what else you need so you don't pay $10 shipping for a $5 part. I removed the shifter just because I overdo things but you can replace most of it w/o removing the shifter bucket. The handle comes off with a hex wrench, look for the little screw on the handle. Once that's off you can remove the shifter bezel and slide it off out of your way. Then there are bolts/nuts to remove and you'll see the bushings. There is an oval shaped plug at the bottom of the shifter 'bucket' that you can get to under the car to put a socket/extension through to loosen that nut. I'd get a full bushing kit and replace all of them, again not expensive.

Once you've replaced those little plastic bushings you'll be amazed at how much tighter the shifter will be, grease the moving parts while you're in there also. Hardest part is getting the screws lined up through the carpet holes again...

A good first purchase would be a shop manual, usually <$50 from any of the above suppliers, I use mine weekly and keep all my notes in it like engine #'s, timing notes, settings, highlight torque values for my engine, etc.

Jon

Good info and thanks. I'm one that also has to get into the fine points of any part rebuild. Not afraid of taking apart things. I believe that's how one learns. Just wanted to make sure that there is a bushing kit for this shifter. You are right, & I will look into other things that might need attention before any order placed.

The big things at the moment are the shifter, then seeing about a disk brake conversion. The car is very solid and want to keep it drivable as I work on it.

I do plan on getting a shop manual & some cats.

I highly recommend getting a reprint of the factory Ford service manual. They are about 2.5" thick and 100x more comprehensive(and better) than any Haynes or Chilton manual. The Haynes manual doesn't even have a section for the manual transmissions because they are "too complex for a shadetree mechanic and should be handled by a professional." :rolleyes:

Are these manuals like GM, in that they are specific by year and are factory assembly manuals?

No, the GM AIM is a series of exploded views of each assembly, if that's what you're thinking of. Ford's assembly manuals are also available, and are divided into subjects, body, electrical, chassis, engine, weld and sealant, interior. These are equivalent to the AIM.

The Ford manuals were published as the repair guide for Ford dealerships, to perform absolutely any repair you could imagine, and are specific to each year, and car type. Amazing detail, very complete specifications.

Manual steering boxes have a higher steering ratio and thus more turns lock-to-lock than power steering boxes.

Not quite true, any Mustang with heavy-duty suspension, and GT, and any Mach 1 would also have the quicker gearbox, even if it had manual steering.

You are dead on about the Granada spindles, though, they work "OK", but there are much better ways to do it, even if you are on a limited budget.

Here's an example of the manual, ~$45, as stated above it's about 2 1/2" thick and pretty comprehensive for an all in one manual, the chiltons and haynes are a waste of $12, made that mistake.
Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories
That's the shop manual I was referring to but all the mustang suppliers carry this same manual.

"I do plan on getting a shop manual & some cats." ?? Dogs are much more loyal, keep intruders out of your mustang garage and love to hang their heads out the rear windows:nice:
Seriously, are cats required on a car built in '66 with the '66 motor in your state? (no location posted).
Jon