Nickpic's 92 Fox Body Lx Build Thread

just a quick update. I am still very happy with the seats. longest ride has been 45 minutes and no discomfort at the end of the ride at all.

Ordered all sorts of goodies for the rear. i got the carbon traction lok discs rebuild kit, bearing and seal kit, pinion flange, FR rear axle girdle/diff cover, u-joints. also got 4 gauge power wire kit for the alternator and some other little things. i should have everything this week and will get the little stuff done quick, the rear will have to wait a couple weeks as my weekends are busy for a while.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

If anyone has any tips/tricks for the rear diff work im doing my ears and eyes are open. I'm a noobie with this rear diff. I've watched some vids and read up on it but never worked on one myself besides fluid changes on other diff's.

If anyone has any tips/tricks for the rear diff work im doing my ears and eyes are open. I'm a noobie with this rear diff. I've watched some vids and read up on it but never worked on one myself besides fluid changes on other diff's.
Having worked on a few, I'd say save up and take it somewhere. It's time consuming, precise, and difficult to deal with, especially if you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing. Not having a lift makes it that much more of a pain.

Reactions: 1 user
Having worked on a few, I'd say save up and take it somewhere. It's time consuming, precise, and difficult to deal with, especially if you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing. Not having a lift makes it that much more of a pain.
Thanks. I will attempt it but with the help of someone who did a few. Even with help I always like to know what I am doing myself to keep anyone helping in check in case they get stumped but also not having to rely on someone else. So my friend will have some knowledge but we will be using jack stands....he installed gears and/or traction lok discs in 2 foxes and 2 new edge cars I believe

Reactions: 1 users
Finally pulled my cluster out and went over the boards. Cleaned them up and re-soldered it. Even though I have the auto meter tach it's nice to have the one in the cluster working again. Also put LEDs in the illumination locations as well as the blinkers and high beam indicators. I already did the HVAC controls and my smaller auto meter gauges Much nicer look to it now. Just got to get one that fits for the auto meter tach and the hazard/defrost switches.

2cfea3820d988b266765f4aae71833b1.jpg

911b9f775837f7e97a6751dfbc3e9072.jpg

983104e891a36e78d0376aacf19bca0f.jpg

1d0940438e53085b91a14f9a04f7129a.jpg

0970b48778e64b1d9cd92b95fc52ddf9.jpg

IMG_20161001_185353512_zpsbyvwwmlr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A little trick that may help out anyone using the 5 led bulbs in the cluster. I found the lighting slightly uneven. So I added foil tape all around the sides and on the back of the enclosure to help reflect the light. Some of the bulbs fired right at the side of the enclosure so I figured that would throw some light back out. It worked out nicely as in person the gauges have NO hot spots and it's very evenly lit. Definitely made a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Finally pulled my cluster out and went over the boards. Cleaned them up and re-soldered it. Even though I have the auto meter tach it's nice to have the one in the cluster working again. Also put LEDs in the illumination locations as well as the blinkers and high beam indicators. I already did the HVAC controls and my smaller auto meter gauges Much nicer look to it now. Just got to get one that fits for the auto meter tach and the hazard/defrost switches.

2cfea3820d988b266765f4aae71833b1.jpg

911b9f775837f7e97a6751dfbc3e9072.jpg

983104e891a36e78d0376aacf19bca0f.jpg

1d0940438e53085b91a14f9a04f7129a.jpg

0970b48778e64b1d9cd92b95fc52ddf9.jpg
Very nice man, clean and bright as can be now!

Very nice man, clean and bright as can be now!
Thanks! Less amp draw is always nice too.

Forget to mention I also did the 4 gauge upgrade kit on the PA Performance alternator that the PO installed on the OEM wiring. It actually made a big difference. Volt gauges read higher and much less dip when adding load. Very happy for such a simple little upgrade. I was actually surprised. Even being an electrician I didn't expect to see such a difference.

Thanks! Less amp draw is always nice too.

Forget to mention I also did the 4 gauge upgrade kit on the PA Performance alternator that the PO installed on the OEM wiring. It actually made a big difference. Volt gauges read higher and much less dip when adding load. Very happy for such a simple little upgrade. I was actually surprised. Even being an electrician I didn't expect to see such a difference.
You have a PA alternator, huh? I've been thinking about that myself. I have a silly little V6 in my blue car, but i'm thinking about the 130amp alternator they offer.

You got me thinking again.

Nice work though man.

You have a PA alternator, huh? I've been thinking about that myself. I have a silly little V6 in my blue car, but i'm thinking about the 130amp alternator they offer.

You got me thinking again.

Nice work though man.

Yeah the PO installed it. He couldn't remember what rating it had and it's not marked. I spoke with PA and they said they do not label them and have no way of telling which one it is. Kinda weird. So I dont knowt what mine is rated for. Just hoping I'm all set amperage capability wise now for when I do E fans eventually.

Thank you sir!

Last edited:
I'll need to try adding foil. My aftermarket white face guages are very uneven. Even with LED.

I got LED bulbs for the Hazard switch, but the headlight one requires solder. Did you find a good led that will work here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll need to try adding foil. My aftermarket white face guages are very uneven. Even with LED.

I got LED bulbs for the Hazard switch, but the headlight one requires solder. Did you find a good led that will work here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope the foil works for u. I know it made a difference for me but I am not running an overlay.

Oh forgot about that. No, I haven't found a solution for the headlight switch yet.

Well the rear rebuild is done and man I am so happy I did it. Found some shavings and chunks in there. Gear oil had lots of filings in it. One of the gears in the traction lock had teeth badly damaged. If I didn't do this job things could of been catastrophic soon. Luckily my buddy had a parts rear so we had back up parts on hand. Did all seals and bearings, Ford racing carbon traction lok discs, lube locker diff gasket, Ford racing diff cover, motorcaft friction modifier, royal purple gear oil, and new pinion flange. U joints looked good so the new ones I bought jic will go on parts shelf. Also drained and filled the trans fluid.

No more noise from the rear and got rid of most of the vibration issues I had. Did some easy break in driving then scared the crap out of my buddy with a couple drifts. Drove it home 40 minutes then did some victory donuts at the end of my street. Traction lok is working awesome!

Reactions: 5 users
took advantage of the sales. ordered a new catback to get rid of the flowmaster system that was welded in crooked by PO. cant wait to get rid of the drone and the rubbing it was doing. also got a bunch of little stuff, trans exhaust hanger(mine was missing), door to body seals, pedal pads, hatch latch, door pins, and some other stuff that i cant think of at the moment(coffee hasnt fully kicked in)

Reactions: 3 users
started working on the projector headlights.got them opened up and the chrome stripped. it will be a slow moving project since the car is parked till at least march so i am in no rush with my first retrofit.

exhaust is installed. i know the SLP system is either loved or hated. i love it. its quieter in the car while cruising than the flowmasters and its louder in and out when WOT which i like. it has a deep sound and almost sounds like a modular motor when your in it. i have a warm start rev video but it doesnt do it justice. it sounds way better under load too. fitment was good and the tips look amazing!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6KDh1YXV4

dont mind the exhaust leak, i found it and tightened that up

its pretty damn close to straight. ii got some more tweaking to do but i ordered a couple new hangers that i need so ill wait till they come in

IMG_20161204_150409378_zpsidmzmzrf.jpg

IMG_20161204_150401381_HDR_zpsaecj2tqj.jpg

IMG_20161204_150352098_zps6z511brr.jpg

IMG_20161204_150346973_zpstcq7jzuy.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Little bit of progress on headlights. Started mock up and paint prep and final trimming(hopefully)

6e6b155c5f818c77bfb4508defc0e007.jpg

15d4b8d366a3fd14ff5dfb053e9e5832.jpg

Going to go with passive demon eyes. Going to paint the shields and it should show thru with the lights off. Here is just an example of the look I am going for

04aa9e8d86d64e312da73b2c3b632cf9.jpg

5e43f083d3f80907c90dbbe26f864d5f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 80de4ab4d3a28c2dd70cb4f0a7d207ec.jpg
    80de4ab4d3a28c2dd70cb4f0a7d207ec.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Little bit of progress on headlights. Started mock up and paint prep and final trimming(hopefully)

6e6b155c5f818c77bfb4508defc0e007.jpg

15d4b8d366a3fd14ff5dfb053e9e5832.jpg

Going to go with passive demon eyes. Going to paint the shields and it should show thru with the lights off. Hear is just an example of the look I am going for

04aa9e8d86d64e312da73b2c3b632cf9.jpg

5e43f083d3f80907c90dbbe26f864d5f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I don't see how many you'll get that can to fit in the headlight.:p