Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it has 6” deep walls with spray in insulation already. He has done a lot of the work, including having central air/heat installed as well. We get to be the ones to knock off the ugly and bring the electrical up to today’s standards.

And enjoy this space.

F6653F5C-EC26-423D-ACF7-0269783DAB66.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users
You can see a neighbor’s house and camper in the top pic. The original farm land was already broken off and sold. A small development was built with a dozen houses each on 1 to 2 acre lots. We are on the very outside corner of the set up, being the original farm plot. Most of the houses are year 2000 and newer. Lots of kids running around, and high speed internet we wouldn’t have if the farm was still by itself in the middle of no where. That next door neighbor is two years older than me and has three kids almost the exact same ages as mine. We already met them and my boys already hit it off with his oldest kids. The other side is a thick grove of trees with four wheeler trails throughout. It’s going to be pretty legit I hope.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll never fine. Plenty of 1700s and 1800s colonials here in MA with subpar insulation. They hold up fine.

Buddy of mine has parents have a 1700s farm house in Maine that is nicely updated, yet still mostly original. Wish I had a pic of the kitchen. Looks modern, yet on one wall is the old style large cooking fireplace that's still functional and sometimes used.

I love old houses. My family owns an 1890s era triple decker with original coal burning furnaces that have been converted to oil.

I've renovated a few old houses and have some cool artifacts ive found in the walls.

Nice digs. That's the amount of land I want in my next purchase. I'm a bit of a lawn nut, so I'm starting to sweat thinking about taking care of that much green

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it has 6” deep walls with spray in insulation already. He has done a lot of the work, including having central air/heat installed as well. We get to be the ones to knock off the ugly and bring the electrical up to today’s standards.

And enjoy this space.

F6653F5C-EC26-423D-ACF7-0269783DAB66.jpeg
That’s very cool Nick, reminds me of visiting old aunts and uncles on their homesteads up there back in the sixties and seventies.

You'll never fine. Plenty of 1700s and 1800s colonials here in MA with subpar insulation. They hold up fine.

Buddy of mine has parents have a 1700s farm house in Maine that is nicely updated, yet still mostly original. Wish I had a pic of the kitchen. Looks modern, yet on one wall is the old style large cooking fireplace that's still functional and sometimes used.

I love old houses. My family owns an 1890s era triple decker with original coal burning furnaces that have been converted to oil.

I've renovated a few old houses and have some cool artifacts ive found in the walls.

Nice digs. That's the amount of land I want in my next purchase. I'm a bit of a lawn nut, so I'm starting to sweat thinking about taking care of that much green

Ha, as nice as it looks, it has plenty of clovers and dandelions throughout. He just keeps it mowed. Those pics were from April. There are a ton of plants and flowers everywhere that have now bloomed as well. Think retired country folk... I will try to get the grass a little less weedy, but at the end of the day I am actually looking to stop having to keep up with the neighbor who mows twice a week on his brand new John Deere on a 1/4 acre.

The two little outbuildings are junk and will come down. The two stall detached garage is only 8 years old. The barn needs some structural updating, but is solid over all. I am afraid the house has gone through enough updates that I will not find any old artifacts. What I do want to do is make it look more like an original old farm house though. That is my style. Old original with a small amount of modern touches. Can’t wait to rip down the ceilings and see what the rafters look like. May leave them exposed if they are nice thick timbers.

Reactions: 3 users
Well guys, I’m not dead.

We decided to take a leap of faith and buy a 1900 farm house on 2 acres outside of town to completely update like we’re Chip and Joanna Gaines... Our house is pending sale, and the close dates are July 17th on our new place, and July 30th on the current house (giving us two weeks to move). So I’ve been busy fixing and cleaning our current house, doing showings, etc. Having three kids and two pets, it’s been a challenge. Now that the both homes are pending, I have turned my attention to other things.

Today I taught my 6 year old to ride his bike without training wheels. This is a screen shot of a video. Dad of the year here forgot his helmet until we were 30-45 mins in. Whoops.

D3CBC2F1-B5A5-4069-BB71-F1846F7AD257.jpeg

Once my boy was ready for a break, I got my bumper repair in its first coat of filler primer.

9465A72F-C6C6-4BC0-BE0B-1890E6DF55E7.jpeg

If I’m lucky, maybe I will get the lower plastics all shot the same color gray this week and be able to check that chore off the list. We’ll see. The wife is sweating the move pretty hard.
Is that clear coat missing off of the top of the fender, or a reflection that makes it look that way?

And who's gonna mow all of that?

It’s just really dusty. No clear coat missing, however the paint is nothing to brag about. I have a friend who went to school for auto body and has his own paint booth. We have been talking about painting the upper half of my car. Right now that red is 3 different shades. Not sure when that will happen though.

As far as mowing, I will be buying a nice riding mower. Mowing doesn’t bother me. Gives me a little time to myself without kids hanging off me. Gonna be even nicer sitting on a mower with a beer in the cup holder.

It’s just really dusty. No clear coat missing, however the paint is nothing to brag about. I have a friend who went to school for auto body and has his own paint booth. We have been talking about painting the upper half of my car. Right now that red is 3 different shades. Not sure when that will happen though.

As far as mowing, I will be buying a nice riding mower. Mowing doesn’t bother me. Gives me a little time to myself without kids hanging off me. Gonna be even nicer sitting on a mower with a beer in the cup holder.
Meh..
I'll take the front lawns in Colorado, Phoenix, and Albuquerque for 1000.00 Alex.
( they're filled in with rock)
Mowing lawns are for fathers that need to escape the confines of responsibility for the sweaty few hours it takes to mow an acre.

• Clever
Meh..
I'll take the front lawns in Colorado, Phoenix, and Albuquerque for 1000.00 Alex.
( they're filled in with rock)
Mowing lawns are for fathers that need to escape the confines of responsibility for the sweaty few hours it takes to mow an acre.

Exactly. And when I’m coming up on retirement age, I will probably feel the way you do as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Closed on the acreage on the 17th and went to town on the house. I noticed the ceiling was higher in one room than the rest of the main floor, which prompted me to rip into it and see what’s what. They had taken 9 ft ceilings and dropped them to 8 ft, and then added the faux beams under that... I decided the right thing to do is gut to the studs so I can replace the old electrical. The walls are all shiplap with a few patched doors and windows. Not gonna rip all that down, will just fish new wiring behind it.

16034123-E4B9-418B-88FF-D40CAD72F91B.jpeg

2CEF766A-DE79-4696-9884-1EF259384B37.jpeg

C471DEFD-5116-4A50-BB65-52D2E2F6DED5.jpeg

681D3B93-9173-43F4-AEFD-A1997E5D0A8D.jpeg

Waiting on an electrician before I can start drywall. I cleared out and burnt down a 100 year old wasp infested wood shed as well. That was fun. (For the record, I was just keeping the grass around it wet)

997FC874-C175-401B-9AD2-427730FF71B5.png

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
Is that horsehair plaster on the left side of the 2nd pic?

Fun stuff...I love working on older properties. Find any cool relics?

The plaster isnt original. It was a concrete consistency. Only remotely cool things I have found are some ripped up newspaper from 1957 (the last ceiling remodel), and one piece of original 1900 trim from inside a broken down wall. The rest of the original trim is long gone.

F2D8773C-B49F-40B8-9B1C-1A48AB381D4B.jpeg

AE2C5A45-F7FA-4EEB-8F04-68F60E75100A.jpeg

That's a nice looking place you've got. A lot of work ahead, but it's going to be really nice when you're done.

Since you have pulled everything down are you going to have it spray foamed or go back with conventional insulation?

That's a nice looking place you've got. A lot of work ahead, but it's going to be really nice when you're done.

Since you have pulled everything down are you going to have it spray foamed or go back with conventional insulation?

Excellent Nick :nice:

Boy are you going to be busy for awhile!

Walls already have spray in insulation done. Will add some more where needed though. Not going to insulate between the first and second floors. Going to keep it open for possible future wiring needs.

Dave, it’s a lot of dirty dirty work, but will be nice when done.