Not sure I believe the number

Gunny87

Nov 29, 2015
Murray Utah
Stock 87 GT other than SVE could air, mass air conversion, built AOD with stock converter, 3.73 gears.
took it to the shop that tuned my sons WRX and they only tune/work on Japanese cars so this was the first Fox Mustang they have ever run on their dyno so they were curious what it would run, it's a Mustang dyno, After the first pull the number seemed too high so he stopped and checked that everything was see properly... said it was, made another and the result was Max torque WC 338
Max HP WC 269
Now that's great if it's true but I'm having a hard time believing it has that much power, the engine is completely stock and the car is not all the fast, it's fun but not fast. these cars are only rated at 225 HP and 300 FT-LB at the crank new so is it possible that the dyno was not set up right and I have bad numbers? cause I was expecting more like 170 HP and 240 Ft -LB at best.

Attachments

• 20190202_161628.jpg
    20190202_161628.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you the original owner? Maybe the heads been worked or an aftermarket cam has been installed. Also a built AOD will put more power to the ground.
How exactly do you figure an AOD would put more power to the ground? That transmission robs power, as all auto transmissions do. Regardless of whether the transmission has beefed up internals,...the physics of having to turn all of the rotating junk inside, while having to maintain hydraulic pressure has always made less power than a manual. It has always been the problem with an auto trans.

No not the original owner, but everything on the outside of the motor is stock, intake, heads, exhaust, all the smog stuff is still there and even had the original stock air box when I bought it so I assume it's not been worked over, the trans I had built by a the same shop that does the transmission work for Dave Kindig of Bitchin Rides since I live in Salt Lake and they'er just a local shop for me and it does work really well.

Looks like their dybo reads high. Must be a lot of happy import owners coming out of that place.

A stock AOD fox is probably in the 180-190 rear wheel HP range.

Looks like their dybo reads high. Must be a lot of happy import owners coming out of that place.

A stock AOD fox is probably in the 180-190 rear wheel HP range.
That's what I'm thinking but since this is my first experience with a dyno I wasn't sure if it's possible for it to read that far off?? it's like 100 hp more than it should be

Easy solution: take it to the track, or get a g-tech pro and watch the car go mid-high 14s at 96-98 mph. If the car goes more like 12.9@104 mph, then you're really making the power the dyno says.

Reactions: 1 users
Why this is still on the front page baffles me.

The dyno is wrong.

Your car doesn't make the power the ricer dyno claimed it did.. No reason to take it to the track...physics and reality don't lie..
You have a stock engine with no aftermarket add ons...no heads, no intake, no cam, no headers.......... You have a High 14-15.00 second 1/4 mile car....

Don't go back to the ricer dyno..it's fake news.

Reactions: 1 user
Since we're on the topic of dyno testing, I have a question. Do they preset the dyno based on a ballpark guess of what the subject car might put down? The reason I ask is because when I had my 92 dyno tested the guys at the shop were surprised how much it put down. I also noticed that when they did the pulls, the car ran up to the redline faster than I would have expected. Almost like the resistance on the dyno was set low.

No. Most dynos are inertial dynos. A loading dyno might be different, but inertial dynos just depend on the weight of the drum so it would not have any resistance adjustment.

Reactions: 1 user