notchback vs 911 vs nsx vs corvette

undercover50

Nov 3, 2003
Hey, I was wondering what it would take for a 1990 notchback to hang tough with 911 NSX's and Corvette's. How much money would I have to put into my notchback to beat or hang with Vette's, 911's, and NSX's in a quarter mile breaking and in the skip pad? My current modifications are E303 Cam, trick flow intake manifold, 65 bbk throttle body, pullies, 373 gears, headers, X-pipe, and flow master's. What parts do I need to compete with these cars? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

undercover50 said:
Hey, I was wondering what it would take for a 1990 notchback to hang tough with 911 NSX's and Corvette's. How much money would I have to put into my notchback to beat or hang with Vette's, 911's, and NSX's in a quarter mile breaking and in the skip pad? My current modifications are E303 Cam, trick flow intake manifold, 65 bbk throttle body, pullies, 373 gears, headers, X-pipe, and flow master's. What parts do I need to compete with these cars? Thanks

Well lets look at the stats. Assuming manual transmission.
Car = HP,Trq
Porsche 911 (twin) Turbo = 12.31 In the quarter mile
NSX = 290 @ 7100 RPM, 224 @ 5500 RPM
Vette = 405 @ 6000 RPM, 400 @ 4800 RPM

NSX is a joke, it may be on a diet but 224 Lbs of TORQUE, LMAO haha! so funny...............oh wow. Anyway, yeah the porsche and the vette, now thats called a super charger, NOS and new tranny or stroker NOS and new tranny or a stroker, super charger and new tranny.

HAVE A GOOD TIME!

custom89stang said:
Well lets look at the stats. Assuming manual transmission.
Car = HP,Trq
Porsche 911 (twin) Turbo = 12.31 In the quarter mile
NSX = 290 @ 7100 RPM, 224 @ 5500 RPM
Vette = 405 @ 6000 RPM, 400 @ 4800 RPM

NSX is a joke, it may be on a diet but 224 Lbs of TORQUE, LMAO haha! so funny...............oh wow. Anyway, yeah the porsche and the vette, now thats called a super charger, NOS and new tranny or stroker NOS and new tranny or a stroker, super charger and new tranny.

HAVE A GOOD TIME!

Supercharger, nitrous oxide and a new tranny to beat a stock Z06 Corvette? I don't think so. Stock they run around 12.7 in the 1/4 mile. You could beat that with a good h/c/i combo and slicks. The mph won't be as high as the vette, but you'll still beat it. And you won't need a new transmission either, I've known plenty of guys that run those numbers with stock T-5's. Beating the Porsche turbo however will be a tough one ;)

Unfortunately a notchback with slicks, nitrous and drag suspension won't come anywhere near the Corvette on the skidpad. And that seems to be one of his concerns.

First get a MM Max grip box to finish off the handling issue. Add some really good tires. After that, do a complete Baer brake kit. Then, start working on the power. I'm sure you all know, it's not how much power you make, it's what you put down that matters.

I hope you know what you're getting into, it's going to be expensive. You may want to think about taking some weight off of the car as well.

And with enough Horsepower and a 6 speed, he will be able to touch them on top end. There are open track Fox bodies doing over 175mph.

Fox Saleen 163 said:
And with enough Horsepower and a 6 speed, he will be able to touch them on top end. There are open track Fox bodies doing over 175mph.

Stock vette's will reach 180, modded vettes 230 mph+ walking turbo Hayabusas :O Turbo 911 is about 180, if not more. NSX's will get to like 160 I think.

The original question was what would it take....? It'll take a miracle. Oh, you might come close with enough money to being able to duplicate acceleration rates, top end, braking performance or even skidpad numbers - but the notch wouldn't have much resemblance to the car it started out as, you'd probably spend close to the same amount one of the other cars cost, and after all that it wouldn't even come close to doing what those other cars do with the level of sophistication or refinement that they do it with. A side note for those that compare 1/4 mile times - the Corvette or the Porsche - they turn 12 sec. 1/4 mile times - with gearing that let's them go 180+ mph, and with suspensions set up for handling. Gear them for the 1/4, and give them the traction to take advantage of their HP -- then compare them to our 5.0's with gears and slicks. Oh yeah, then start modding them.

As for those that laugh off the NSX, all you have to do is watch the SCCA pro series where they face off with Corvettes, 911's, BMW M3's and the occasional Saleen. The NSX's run very competitively with cars that have much more HP on the strength of much better balanced handling and incredible braking. Nope - they don't have the torque of our 5.0L V-8's cause they don't need it.

You could build something to rival their performance - but it would cost an arm and a leg, and most of us would't want to have to live with it as a daily driver.

thanxs guys for all the feedback. I see that our cars a great but the corvette's,911's, and nsx's are in a different league.. Those cars still can't match the sound of my 5.0 which sounds like a moble hurricane..

maverick0716 said:
Supercharger, nitrous oxide and a new tranny to beat a stock Z06 Corvette? I don't think so. Stock they run around 12.7 in the 1/4 mile. You could beat that with a good h/c/i combo and slicks. The mph won't be as high as the vette, but you'll still beat it. And you won't need a new transmission either, I've known plenty of guys that run those numbers with stock T-5's. Beating the Porsche turbo however will be a tough one ;)

Actually a good driven z06 will run a 12.3 to 12.4....one could get there pretty easily in a notch with a custom cam, AFR heads maybe, and all the supporting stuff....and like said above your mph won't be as high but you could beat them in the quarter....

David

I dont know where you are at, but talk to someone like Brads Custom in Seattle. They have done a few cars for the Silverstate classic for customers.

But basically first stop at Griggs Racing. Get the GR40 kit installed there with the Baer rear track kit and Wilwood or SToptech brakes up front. Also get the T56 installed while you are there.

Then drive to someplace that can install a 347 stroker motor and blower. That should get you in the hunt realistically there if you can drive the car.

Michael Yount said:
As for those that laugh off the NSX, all you have to do is watch the SCCA pro series where they face off with Corvettes, 911's, BMW M3's and the occasional Saleen. The NSX's run very competitively with cars that have much more HP on the strength of much better balanced handling and incredible braking. Nope - they don't have the torque of our 5.0L V-8's cause they don't need it.

Agreed.

I never liked NSX's at all, till my nephew bought one.

I still dont like, them , but I respect them alot more. They look like crap on paper, but in reality , they pretty much do it all very well.

Hows this to add to your goals.

Make it perform as well, THEN..........

Drive it from Ohio to Cali, beat on it in open track, then beat on it all the way home. Thats what he just got done doing last month with the NSX club he is in. Even got a ticket for 102 in a 65(or70?) as a souvenier.

To beat it in a quarter AND top speed, you pretty much rebuild the whole car. Then you worry about turning and stopping.

Probley be cheaper to buy a Pantara and drop a built motor in it , then you would at least be close.

Cheap way to win? Keep calling it a Honda. That pisses them off pretty bad :flag:

GT350R said:
Agreed.

I never liked NSX's at all, till my nephew bought one.

Cheap way to win? Keep calling it a Honda. That pisses them off pretty bad :flag:

Why would it? In Japan it is a Honda NSX. I still can't even think why someone would buy a NSX. I'll agree it's a great car, but for $90,000 I just don't think it's worth it.

Maximum Motorsports grip in a box will have you covered in the handling dept. ( the results are available on their web site as tested by ....road and track.... if I remember right ) I personally run their chassis brace kit with the full length welded in subs, HnR springs, and Tokikos. With 17x8's it handles damn good for a stang.

As for performance, your motor is already looking pretty good, any decent h/c/i car n/a will run mid to low 13s on true street tires (this is with a handling suspension), with a conservative power adder of choice (100-125 shot / 8-10 lbs) most guys run deep in the 12s 110-115mph. :nice:

Now if you had a drag suspension and slicks you could take a full second off those times, but your handling will go out the window.... :notnice:

Now as for top-end, people talk alott of trash about how fast some cars are, because they read a huge number in a magazine.... what they fail to realise is that quite often, you can smoke that car from 70-120 with good gearing and decent power. After that, yeah he'll real you in and blow by you... but how often do you run somebody on the freeway above 120-130? Yes it happens, but like 9 out of 10 dont you (or they) usually back off by then. And for that last 1 of 10 can you live with the fact that your 25,000 dollar stang got beat by a 40,000 dollar vette, or 60,000 dollar nsx, or a 100,000 dollar porsche? I know I can... with the money I saved, I put a down payment on a house. :D

Now you need to get it stopped...
IMHO there is no better bang for the buck than the Motorsport 2300-K kit (94+ cobra brakes for your fox) Its avail from Summit Racing for about 1600. Now I know that sounds like alott, but you get five lug conversion, four wheel disks, alcon calipers (the exact same ones in the baer kit), motorsport axles, new mastercylinder, brake lines, etc... The performance difference is night and day from stock brakes. The only "drawback" to the kit is you need to run a 17" wheel, but if your worried about handling, you should be looking at 17, or 18s anyhow. Now you can do the install yourself in a garage (i did mine in two days, one for the front, one for the back) but you will need a good supply of tools, and good auto / mechanic skills.
- some guys will tell you to call baer or willowood, and they make great stuff, but youll pay out the wazoo for their name. Like 12-1500 for the FRONT ONLY. And just fyi if you go read reviews on web sites, where people have put on baer / whoever kits, there are quite a few that are disappointed they paid the extra money after-the-fact.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
DD- :flag:

ddonaca351 thanks for the hope, I will continue to build on my stang and eventually I will have the machine I am looking for for half the cost of those other cars. I just want to have great performance without having a huge car payment for 5 years.

Thanxs