notchback vs 911 vs nsx vs corvette

Undercover50, I'm working on the same thing you are. However, I'm relying on myself as a driver in conjuntion with a pretty nice setup to keep up with those pesky expensive sportscars. Just because they have $90,000 to blow doesn't mean they can drive. And with the maint. on those cars costing more than a lot of us get paid in a month, hopefully that 911 you run into isn't running so well and you blow his doors off, send him home crying. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

at street speeds most H/C/I cars can hang with them or beat them. Top end.... where/when are you gonna be going that fast anyhow?

Now remember what the stang started out as... as pony car. Not a super car, a exotic, or even a dedicated sports car. If you wanna play thier game your gonna spend alot of money & keep in mind your dealing with an inferior platform.

MustangPunk302 said:
Why would it? In Japan it is a Honda NSX. I still can't even think why someone would buy a NSX. I'll agree it's a great car, but for $90,000 I just don't think it's worth it.
Why wouldn't you go and buy a viper for that money. You get(in my opinion) a better looking car, better running car, better handling and its all american. :flag:

Do it man, you can do it! I definately think its possible to build a stang to beat those cars with all around performance,top and bottom end.You even have the lightest stang to start with, a notchback.If I were doing this project, I'd consider turbo charging a 302, if possible with a aluminum block and heads,if not iron's reliable.3.08 gears maybe 3.27's.Plenty of suspension goodies such as the steeda 5 link suspension with 17's front 18's rear. Just my opinion.Good Luck!
:nice:
Just For Piece Of Mind:I saw a twin turbo mustang for sale on ebay,immaculate, not to long ago,dont know if its still running on there,but it said over 70,000 was invested,and it had a buy it now price of 25,000,and a starting of 20,000.I wish I had the money, I would've jumped on that.

peace

408 Stroker - 4,500
AFR heads - 1,500
intake headers exhaust
etc. etc. -5,000
grip in a box -2,500
Baer set up -2,500
turbo set up -4,500
Doner car -10,000 (For a super nice fox)
t56 -2,500
cobra irs -2,000

Those prices are way high, but it would beat most cars in about every way for around 35,000.

The first thing I would look at is an sn-95 cobra wheel/brake/spindle upgrade for the front. It is easily adaptable and less money than the other options. That should even up the breaking.

At the rear you need a good 8.8 with brakes of your choice and probably 31 spline axles and 9" housing ends to reliably hold the power you will need.

Steeda/Maximum motorsports/Griggs suspension should make it stick in the corners. With this level of investment, I would add full length, through the floor subframe connectors and a cage to stiffen it up and add some safety.

With anything more than 300 rwhp you should be able to get close to those 1/4 mile times. There has to be 100 different ways to get there. A stroker with heads, cam, intake and headers is a good way and more reliable than some other options.

The only area left is the transmission. With a 25" tire and 3.73-1 axle ratio, a t5 with a 0.73-1 overdrive will give you over 160 mph at 6,000 rpm. I'm not sure how well the overdrive will work at that speed with the power required to push it, but a 6 speed does not seem like a requirement. I would probably go for a g-force upgraded t5 unless it does not shift well enough, then I would look at the tremec's.

$8,000 for a nice engine, $2,000 for the transmision and clutch, $6,000 for suspension, brakes and tires, add in another $3-4,000 for anything that comes up, you will have to do a lot of the labor to cut a few costs. That should get you in the ball park, but it's still less than half the cost of a new Z06.

I got in race a while ago with a 03’ Turbo Porsche. I was getting on a 180 deg. Freeway on ramp when up in the distance I saw the Porsche; I wanted to get a closer look so I sped up to check it out. Well this guy must have looked up and seen me in rear view. And thought I wanted to race. There was a slow van in front of him so once the on ramp straightened up he immediately swung over to the middle lane and stomped on it! Well I knew it was on! So in 2nd I stomped on the gas getting sideways got in the middle lane to pursue him. At this time he was about three car length ahead of me I gently get it in third and start to hit my power band and I start reeling him in were doing about 95 or so, and I know I can do around 125 in third its only going to take me a few more seconds to catch him then all of a sudden…..Oh sh#t slam on the brakes cause there’s a wall of stopped cars ahead (this is a Cali. Freeway) so we both slowed down, I got in the fast lane and he came up besides me rolled down his tinted window and gave me the thumbs up. When we got in the clear he stayed back and I never saw him again. :owned:

Actually guys, thinking it sounded far fetched myself, I ran the calcs. Using a 1.29 third gear ratio, and 2.73 rear end ratio with 26" tall tires, 125 mph works out to 5600 rpm - which is within the realm of reason. Shows you just how long the 2.73's are. For me the real issue - how much power would it take with that LONG gearing for a Stang to pull on a new turbo Porsche (425HP) at that speed (100 MPH). I've gotta think that the Porsche wasn't really trying, and the thumbs up was just a gentlemanly "nice try buddy".

Since you guys have mentioned it, I've gotten 3rd gear up to 80mph+ with 3.08's. I believe I was over 5k rpms(stock tach). 120mph seems a bit high though, unless you got some mods to that engine/drivetrain. Kinda off topic but are all EECIV's rev limiter set at 6200rpm's? Was it set at a different point with the '86 5.0? I don't even think my E6 heads can pull past 5,500rpms. :shrug:

We all have to be careful comparing car to car. Tire diameter may be different, there are a couple of different 3rd gear ratios in different T-5's (1.29 and 1.34), and the factory speedos and tachs are notoriously inaccurate - tachs especially at the top end of the scale. I checked my calcs against my own car's data (it has calibrated tach and speedo that are both within about 2% accurate), and I believe the calc is right. I guess we're all still waiting to hear back from David F. about his mods.

Well guys my speedo may be a bit off, but with my 3.08s I can do well over 100mph in 3rd. my mod are as follows;

CHP 347 short block
AFR 185s (10.5 to 1 )
Edelbrock RPMII intake
Comp XE282HR cam w/1.7rr
255lph fuel pump
30lb injectors
70mm BBK t/b
75mm bullet MAF
MAC fender cold air
Motorsport headers
headman off road H pipe
Flowmaster muffs
Powertrain Dynamics chip (6500 rev limit )

Input Parameters Are the Following:
Differential Gear = 3.08 to 1
Transmission Gear = 1.29 to 1
Tire Diameter (Inches) = 27.00
Engine RPM = 6000
Computation Results:
Computed Vehicle MPH is 121

You guys should have a little more faith in are Mustangs. They are capable:shrug:

i suppose its possible by the math, but when my car had 2.73s and stock size rubber i would reach a max of about 180kph (112-113mph) at the very end of 3rd. it would take some good mods to keep those gears, rev higher (to reach 125mph) and pull on a new turbo 911.

nuff said.
-steve

DavidF said:
You guys should have a little more faith in are Mustangs. They are capable:shrug:

I wasn't doubting the speed in gear, because I can pull 3rd to about 118 with my 26.2" tires and 2.73's at 5,500. I was calling it on you keeping up with the turbo 911, with those mods I believe you kept up with him, though I bet in the long run he'd pull on ya, though you'd be right behind.

NSX, 911, Vette

A fox bodied Mustang will never compete with top speed with any of these cars...well, maybe an NSX. I've run the Silver State Classic twice and I know what it takes. Mustangs are too boxy and are severly hampered by aerodynamics. Keep in mind it's hurtful for me to say this because I love Mustangs.

The new 911 GT2 costs 192k- most dealers mark them up because they sell so easily, so really 225+K. It makes 477hp/472fptq and has a top speed of 198 MPH. There is nothing that you can do to make a fox bodied mustang competitive with this car in any way accept acceleration....period. You'd have a better shot at going after the Vette, which you probably could beat in every way but top speed. No matter what you do a mustang will never do much after 155mph. Please keep in mind that I'm talking about sustained speeds for drivable cars. The new 911 with go 11's with the AC on and gets 15mpg. You can drive it to the track and cruise 160 on your way, go 11's at the track, drive back, get dinner- all on a tank of gas.