notchback vs 911 vs nsx vs corvette

Sorry...

DavidF said:
I got in race a while ago with a 03’ Turbo Porsche. I was getting on a 180 deg. Freeway on ramp when up in the distance I saw the Porsche; I wanted to get a closer look so I sped up to check it out. Well this guy must have looked up and seen me in rear view. And thought I wanted to race. There was a slow van in front of him so once the on ramp straightened up he immediately swung over to the middle lane and stomped on it! Well I knew it was on! So in 2nd I stomped on the gas getting sideways got in the middle lane to pursue him. At this time he was about three car length ahead of me I gently get it in third and start to hit my power band and I start reeling him in were doing about 95 or so, and I know I can do around 125 in third its only going to take me a few more seconds to catch him then all of a sudden…..Oh sh#t slam on the brakes cause there’s a wall of stopped cars ahead (this is a Cali. Freeway) so we both slowed down, I got in the fast lane and he came up besides me rolled down his tinted window and gave me the thumbs up. When we got in the clear he stayed back and I never saw him again. :owned:

Sorry man, that wasn't a Turbo. I am the worlds biggest mustang fan but on the street an 850 hp pony on DR's isn't gonna hang with a Turbo. If you've ever been in one it really ruins all other cars as it just could't be any more incredible. They only weigh 3100 lbs and have near 500hp. The engine sits right on top of the tires...they have the most sophisticated traction control in the world. If it was a Turbo, the guy gave you a thumbs up for having some real sac!!

• Sponsors (?)

QDRHRSE - I'm completely aligned with you; although I think I just read that in this year's Silverstate a '62 Dodge Polara (with the most wicked front air dam you've ever seen) hit a top speed of 203mph! I believe even the Stang's have better aerodynamics than the old Dodge. But, as you imply, it takes prodigious amounts of HP to push a 'brick' through the air - I have some experience with this. Once speeds start to top 100 mph, aero starts to take over, and someone would have to have a bunch more HP than the other cars mentioned to compete both in the top speed arena as well as the 100-170 mph acceleration rates. And of course we haven't even talked about handling and stopping at/from those speeds. All the newer cars are designed with a lot of care in the wind tunnel so that there's some useful downforce at speed. Without some attention to that, the older Stangs might just achieve liftoff.

Didn't a Camaro (gasp!) win the Silverstate this year? 'Course the newer ones are a good bit more slippery....

DavidF said:
Well guys my speedo may be a bit off, but with my 3.08s I can do well over 100mph in 3rd. my mod are as follows;

CHP 347 short block
AFR 185s (10.5 to 1 )
Edelbrock RPMII intake
Comp XE282HR cam w/1.7rr
255lph fuel pump
30lb injectors
70mm BBK t/b
75mm bullet MAF
MAC fender cold air
Motorsport headers
headman off road H pipe
Flowmaster muffs
Powertrain Dynamics chip (6500 rev limit )

Input Parameters Are the Following:
Differential Gear = 3.08 to 1
Transmission Gear = 1.29 to 1
Tire Diameter (Inches) = 27.00
Engine RPM = 6000
Computation Results:
Computed Vehicle MPH is 121

You guys should have a little more faith in are Mustangs. They are capable:shrug:

Hey David, around what are you running in the 1/4, and what's your rwhp? I'm interested in a combo very similar to yours.

First off I forgot to say I have a 95'stang. second for some reason as this thread gets longer the HP figures for the turbo seem to get higher :shrug: I scanned some web sites and everone calls out 420hp for the 03'. And the wieght figures for them are more around 3400lbs. Its the 04' that has the 450hp, if someone can double check that to verify.Even a porsche web site had this to say;

That said, in terms of outright speed, the Turbo is no longer in a class of its own. I watched a BMW M5 keep pace with a Turbo all the way to 150mph. A de-restricted Mercedes S600 (with a Maybach-derived twin-turbo V12) can show Stuttgart's finest a clean pair of heels right up to the Porker's 189mph top end. But nothing outside of mortgage money Italian superwides - Pagani Zonda C12S, Enzo Ferrari - can match the Porsche Turbo in the corners.

Yes I can tell the diff between a turbo and a Carrera.( thats another story that I can tell about dancing all around one)
I too am a big fan of the Porsche I have about 50 books/mags on them and I have owned four myself. But they can be beat! I never said that I could keep up with him in the long run. I just shared a race story nothing more nothing less. If you dont want to believe it thats fine. I bought my car for 10k, I have put around 6.5k in so far, for a wopping 16.5k totall. I can and do keep up with the best of them. IMO thats whats so great about Mustangs!! And if you cant beat a Porsche with 850hp your tires must be flat :rlaugh: