Fox Novi 2k Install Checklist

mikerunt

Aug 12, 2019
Los Angeles
After ready through the SC vs 347 threads I am starting to process of collecting info on what to do / buy for a Novi 2000 install the “right way”. Boost will be kept on the low side (8psi) for the foreseeable future and reliability is key.

My car CURRENTLY:
1990 LX - right under 100k miles
TCI Streetfighter AOD - 3k Stall
Stock lower end 302
Stock Ignition
GT40 heads
E303
65mm TB
Stock 19lb injectors
Headers / CAI

My install plan (please feel free to poke holes):
Novi 2000 “complete kit”
MSD 6AL BTM (stock ignition otherwise)
24lb injectors
70mm TB
COMP Beehive Springs (came w/ car uninstalled)
Hydraulic Lifters (came w/ car uninstalled)

My big questions:
1. Is the FMU and Pump that comes in the Novi 2K complete kit sufficient?
2. Is an add’l fuel pressure regulator suggested / needed?
3. Overall - what is best fuel and MAF config?
4. I assume a tune and dyno is best to get the optimum performance - Megasquirt?

Would love to get the communities thoughts or suggestions and thank you all for your time!

• Sponsors (?)

My big questions:
1. Is the FMU and Pump that comes in the Novi 2K complete kit sufficient?
2. Is an add’l fuel pressure regulator suggested / needed?
3. Overall - what is best fuel and MAF config?
4. I assume a tune and dyno is best to get the optimum performance - Megasquirt?

1. No
2. No
3. A 255L high pressure in-tank pump and either 36# or 42# injectors with a tune.
4. Yes

Thank you!

Recommendations on fuel pump / FMU that would be best? If that’s case is buying the Novi 2k “complete” kit relevant

With the Walbro 255 hi pressure pump and injectors you won't need a FMU. The car will need to be tuned so figure out who is going to tune the car for you and ask them what MAF and what Injector size they want to tune the car with

Reactions: 1 user
With the Walbro 255 hi pressure pump and injectors you won't need a FMU. The car will need to be tuned so figure out who is going to tune the car for you and ask them what MAF and what Injector size they want to tune the car with

This approach will save you from having to buy things twice. :nice:

The FMU that comes with these intro kits pushes the stock fuel injectors to as much as 90 psi. Those injectors were never meant to run at those pressures. This is why an FMU is [not] recommended particularly, if you have no way to verify the Air Fuel Ratio yourself (you could but that would cost you another $300 - $500 that you could have spent on better components and tune).

Reactions: 1 user
I have to say it - Novi 2k but don’t want to spend the money to do the 5 lug to stop the car correctly . Can they stop ? Yes . Is it vague at 128 plus mph in a 1/4 mile ? Yes .

Aside from that .

The lifters are hydraulic and prob stock ford units . I have been to 7300rpm plus with them and never an issue . No reason to change what works . Next is why the spring change ? Are the springs not right in the heads now ?

Your questions - if it were me . Guys love the 255 high pressure pump . I have always run the in tank 340 and never had an issue . I know what it supports on paper but every car is different live and on the dyno .

Next - 8 psi ? Until you say this is boring I want to turn it up. Hence my recommendation of the bigger pump .

42lb injectors get my vote .

I’d change the meter . Guys have gone to lightning meters and have pegged them on the dyno. I’d rather play it safe and have a pro m 80 mm on it and know I’m never going to be out of meter .

I’d also add a Anderson power pipe to the deal rather then the stock intake pipe it comes with .

I have to say it - Novi 2k but don’t want to spend the money to do the 5 lug to stop the car correctly . Can they stop ? Yes . Is it vague at 128 plus mph in a 1/4 mile ? Yes .

Aside from that .

The lifters are hydraulic and prob stock ford units . I have been to 7300rpm plus with them and never an issue . No reason to change what works . Next is why the spring change ? Are the springs not right in the heads now ?

Your questions - if it were me . Guys love the 255 high pressure pump . I have always run the in tank 340 and never had an issue . I know what it supports on paper but every car is different live and on the dyno .

Next - 8 psi ? Until you say this is boring I want to turn it up. Hence my recommendation of the bigger pump .

42lb injectors get my vote .

I’d change the meter . Guys have gone to lightning meters and have pegged them on the dyno. I’d rather play it safe and have a pro m 80 mm on it and know I’m never going to be out of meter .

I’d also add a Anderson power pipe to the deal rather then the stock intake pipe it comes with .

Much appreciated!

1. No issue with doing the 5 lug conversion soon in the future. the car does stop great for what I need it for right now and I don’t mind the 4 lug wheels I have.

2. Springs and lifters - I have the parts (came with the car, uninstalled) and just thought why not get them in if they are helpful to the overall build?

Much appreciated!

1. No issue with doing the 5 lug conversion soon in the future. the car does stop great for what I need it for right now and I don’t mind the 4 lug wheels I have.

2. Springs and lifters - I have the parts (came with the car, uninstalled) and just thought why not get them in if they are helpful to the overall build?

They all stop great as bolt on cars . Boost is a different animal . The car picks up speed way faster then it was ever intended too then you reAlize oh :poo: these brakes suck . Just trying to save you the headache of roads we have all been down .

The lifters you are putting in you already have . Hyd lifters . Unless you have some real expensive link bar lifter is hard to beat the stock ford lifter . Some lifters you have to pull the head off to change cuz they will not clear . So why bother when what you have is sufficient .

Are those valve springs right for whatyoure doing ?or would you be fine with what you have ? Again just seems counter productive .

Added the last piece. As noted by BoostedPimp, your tuner might have a different recommendation about your MAF.
Alright - working through the list:

- Novi 2k Tuner Kit
- 340 in tank fuel pump (do I need new fuel lines? I know it was said a fuel pressure regulator is not needed) - any brand recommendations for stock tank compatible one?
- 42lb Injectors and MAF to support
- MSD 6A BTM
- Tune (stock ECU - no Megasquirt)
- boost gauge
- Air / Fuel Ratio gauge

- no to HYD rollers
- no need for beehives

How is that looking?