Opinions on what to do with my daily driver...

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Having some problems with my focus... when i start it it dies at idle... but runs when i give it gas... i took off my iac valve and cleaned it and someone on the focus forums said it should be closed when off the car... mine was slightly open so i ordered a new one... and it was also slightly opened... i put 12 volts on both and both acted the same... so i assume mine is still good... my car has had a p0401 code for over a year i think its the DPFE sensor which i bought at 4 different auto stores all the wrong part... just found out ford sells a conversion harness and a new style sensor... and my car was one out of a handful that had this odd ball DPFE... So i ordered the part from tousley and im going to work on the car tomorrow...

Any ideas?
Im thinking.... fix the p0401 code first to make sure the problem isnt egr valve related... then reinstall the old iac... see if i can get it started and check for vac leaks...

The car is a salvage title... Got hit by a tree in 2003 its a 2001 focus... one of the body lines is a bit off and the hatch leaks... as hard as ive tried i cant find the leak... the car also got keyed recently... its got 139k on it and still runs good doesent burn any oil the 5 speed shifts nice... it could use suspension however, a VCG, and Brakes and rotors... but i hate putting money in to a salvage titled car...

Should i buy a new car and cut my losses i bought the car for $2500 with 90k on it 2 years ago... but ive taken care of it (oilchanges etc)... do i dump money in to this car and continue to drive it... or look for something new??? i dont want a car payment i only have one more semester left 1 class and research actually till i have a bs in analytical chemistry... Id be buying another $2000 car (5 speed 28+ MPG)... i have a chance to pick up another focus... once again clean title... blown head gasket... beat up body for $200... its a 2004 and an auto... blah... just dont know what to do... :shrug:

Ill post pics of the car tomorrow... the interior is beyond dirty and the exterior is quite beat...

I love the zx3 focus to death its a workhorse with alot of room... my g/f has one as well..

Messed up body line
DSCF5425.jpg

The body moldings are also loose and half glued back on...

DSCF5426.jpg

Keyed in the college parking lot..
View attachment 234563
View attachment 234564
View attachment 234565 View attachment 234566

Car has been repainted once dont know how much more it can take.. and i need a car that looks remotely professional when i go for a job.... not keyed up and beat to hell...

• Sponsors (?)

I remember my 01 had that code when I had it which has been about 5 years ago and I think it was the dpfe sensor may have been the egr I cant remember what all I put on it because Ive had to put so much on the mustang lol.

I remember my 01 had that code when I had it which has been about 5 years ago and I think it was the dpfe sensor may have been the egr I cant remember what all I put on it because Ive had to put so much on the mustang lol.

Yea ive had the code for over a year now... so im not sure if its even related but its time to fix the code... even if i sell it its better if the CEL is off...

If i get a new car it will probably be another focus or civic hatch/ integra.... The leaking and that body line really piss me off...

Then again my grandfather who keeps trying to stop me from selling it is saying that its not burning oil and its shifting good they why step in to another used car that could have problems... Which is what im thinking as well..

the other side to that is... ztec engines can be found for like $300 at a junkyard... and i saw them brand new for $800 on ebay...

Keep what you have if it runs. No one cares what kind of car you drive getting a job unless you want to deliver pizza..and even then they dont care lol. Save your money. Save 10% of everything you earn.

Keep what you have if it runs. No one cares what kind of car you drive getting a job unless you want to deliver pizza..and even then they dont care lol. Save your money. Save 10% of everything you earn.

Not doing much earning LOL. I mean once i get a job i will be putting some away...

I really dont want a car payment yet... and considering i like the focus and they are a cheap car even if i buy another its only like $2500 ive been budgeting good and have left over from student loans... well not left over just the pocket money i put up for my first 2 months rent and security deposit... still 100k+ in student debt... :/

This is what i figure:
$200 to fix this no start problem
$300 for the SVT Ford racing suspension package... its just cheaper to get new shocks and struts this way and it lowers the car a 1/2''
$120 for brakes and rotors...

That gets me running good again... I just put new tires on it...

The body work im unsure... im not sure how many times you can paint a car and fix body lines...

The leaks in the hatch i could track down in the spring... i re silicone around part of the window molding that was leaking i thought i had it fixed but its back to leakville again...

Then buy this $200 focus and steal its interior to clean up my rear hatch from where its been leaking... its not bad but could use work..

Not doing much earning LOL. I mean once i get a job i will be putting some away...

I really dont want a car payment yet... and considering i like the focus and they are a cheap car even if i buy another its only like $2500 ive been budgeting good and have left over from student loans... well not left over just the pocket money i put up for my first 2 months rent and security deposit... still 100k+ in student debt... :/

I'd say keep the focus. If it's in good shape (minus the leaking) your better off with it than buyin another car that may or may not be any better. Plus as Pokageek said...as long as your car isn't 7 different colors, fallin apart and smoking/backfiring most employers aren't really gonna care.

As for the student debt:jaw: suddenly my 12k doesn't seem as bad as I thought. LOL

I'd say keep the focus. If it's in good shape (minus the leaking) your better off with it than buyin another car that may or may not be any better. Plus as Pokageek said...as long as your car isn't 7 different colors, fallin apart and smoking/backfiring most employers aren't really gonna care.

As for the student debt:jaw: suddenly my 12k doesn't seem as bad as I thought. LOL

Well... my parents didnt have much... so ive been taking out loans each year to cover the cost of living, books, tuition... and chemistry took me 5 years instead of 4...:( it sucks... but im really into what i do... so i guess its worth the cost... im actually like $120k in after intrest... :/

I just dont even want to think about it... it bothers me so much to look at it... Im in deep now i just hope i can live cheap and get it paid off in about 10-15 years

Ive had alot of family troubles and havent been ablt to live at home..

I'd be inclined to drive it until it drops, then part it out. I agree with your grandfather.

Remember, that money you have from student loans isn't really yours. You're going to have to pay that back, and a car isn't a good place to put your money.

If I sound like a parent, it's because I am one. I've got a son that's a college senior. I can also look back at 44 and still see my early 20s, so I'm not totally out of it yet. You've got a nice toy in your Stang. Keep the cheap beater you've got now, and don't expend any more time, energy, or thought on it than absolutely necessary to keep it running. You've got enough big events ahead in life in the near future, that you don't need additional bills or car frustration. There will be time later in life, and finances to go along with it, to get really stupid about cars. Just look at me!:D

FWIW, when I see a job applicant, fresh out of college, driving something like what you have, I think--"smart guy. Not tying his money up in unimportant things. Probably got a good head on his shoulders for a new grad." If he's driving a NICE car, I'm inclined to think--"already up to his ears in debt, or spoiled rotten rich kid. Think I'll hire the guy that was here a little while ago in the beater."

I'd be inclined to drive it until it drops, then part it out. I agree with your grandfather.

Remember, that money you have from student loans isn't really yours. You're going to have to pay that back, and a car isn't a good place to put your money.

If I sound like a parent, it's because I am one. I've got a son that's a college senior. I can also look back at 44 and still see my early 20s, so I'm not totally out of it yet. You've got a nice toy in your Stang. Keep the cheap beater you've got now, and don't expend any more time, energy, or thought on it than absolutely necessary to keep it running. You've got enough big events ahead in life in the near future, that you don't need additional bills or car frustration. There will be time later in life, and finances to go along with it, to get really stupid about cars. Just look at me!:D

FWIW, when I see a job applicant, fresh out of college, driving something like what you have, I think--"smart guy. Not tying his money up in unimportant things. Probably got a good head on his shoulders for a new grad." If he's driving a NICE car, I'm inclined to think--"already up to his ears in debt, or spoiled rotten rich kid. Think I'll hire the guy that was here a little while ago in the beater."

+1 all the way.

:cheers:

thanks for the help... Like i said no matter what its going to be a cheap focus... its just wither i use this one or buy a new one...

talking about student loans makes me want to vomit... im so scared about paying it back epically since im not going back to live with my parents.. I dont know what im going to do... I guess ill get it all re consolidated at graduation under a low intrest rate... i have a good credit score so i should be able to get a good interest rate... Ive also heard about doing something about acquired interest...

Blah...

Well... my parents didnt have much... so ive been taking out loans each year to cover the cost of living, books, tuition... and chemistry took me 5 years instead of 4...:( it sucks... but im really into what i do... so i guess its worth the cost... im actually like $120k in after intrest... :/

I just dont even want to think about it... it bothers me so much to look at it... Im in deep now i just hope i can live cheap and get it paid off in about 10-15 years

Ive had alot of family troubles and havent been ablt to live at home..

I got lucky in the fact I was still legally married when I enrolled for school and was considered "poor" by their standards. Which worked out good for me honestly.

I've also been lucky to stay with an uncle of mine. He's been super helpful especially after the 'Stang took a temporary crap. I don't think I'd be schooling if I didn't have a rent free place and thanks to a less than ****ty job market, I have yet to find employment.

But, since it's something you enjoy doing, keep at it and try not to think of the financial part of it. You'll drive yourself insane and it's not worth it.

Good luck with both the car and school man!

I have a problem where i always worry about having enough money to get by... and i probably took out more then i should of the last year or to just so i didnt have to worry at the end of the semester... I worry so much that i cant concentrate on work... now that im talking about my loan debt im in that worrying situation again... It bothers me so much it literally makes me sick...

I try to work over break... But sometimes chemistry is hard for me... id work during the semester but im afraid id fall behind... it seems that everyone else in the chemistry major is kind of taken care of by their more then well off families...

I figured that when i graduate i will talk to the school and see who offers help and re consolidation of loans... My parents didnt have great credit so even with them co signing my interest was high... i signed by my self last year and actually got a better rate...

Im just hoping i can get a job for $35k i know i can live on less then 20k a year... so this way im paying off 10k a year on my debt...

i'd have to agree about keeping the car you have. Its much easier and cheaper to fix the issues that the car has. Like others have suggested, dont sink any more money into than you have to. Its a beater... who cares about body lines. It has 4 tires, a steering wheel and gets you front point A to B.

As for the interviews, no one will see your car. Also who cares if they do, you'll be straight out of college and everyone knows most college students are broke. **** i've been out of college for a few years now and Im still broke lol. My beater is a 2001 taurus and I plan on driving it until it explodes!

The scratch isn't the worst. Honestly got to autozone and get some touchup paint and call it a day there.

Sounds like you know whats making the code so fix that and you're good.

The suspension stuff doesn't sound costly either so go with the svt stuff.

I would swap the interior or whatever is bad I would check for the leak. Check the area that the weather seal is mounted to. Sometimes it can be bent causing a leak.

Are you going onto pharmacy school?

The scratch isn't the worst. Honestly got to autozone and get some touchup paint and call it a day there.

Sounds like you know whats making the code so fix that and you're good.

The suspension stuff doesn't sound costly either so go with the svt stuff.

I would swap the interior or whatever is bad I would check for the leak. Check the area that the weather seal is mounted to. Sometimes it can be bent causing a leak.

Are you going onto pharmacy school?

Thanks...
No i go to the richard stockton college of new jersey the tuition is the right price but living expenses in NJ are horribly high...

Im just going for a chemistry BS.

as for the scratch i was going to wait till it warms up and feather the edges and use filler if necessary.. and primer the panel and respray it with a single stage.... my work isnt perfect but i can do it.

Id be a chemist I

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/...Keyword=chemist&hdAjaxKeywordWithOR=#chemist#

Dont underestimate yourself. You are a smart guy and in a tough major that most folks couldn't handle. Secondly you did a 1st class job on my car and I have heat and no leaks in record time!! :nice: I am sure you will have the same dedication in your job.

There are also experienced people on this forum and other venues who could prolly help you with advice on your career or connections when your ready... So "focus" on on school and grades, make yourself happy and put that suspension on your car (if it really needs it) and get some turtle wax chapstick stuff like I do on the scratch for now and run a hose on that rear window. Most importantly WATCH your time and concentration. COULD you be spending time maybe getting those books ahead of time and studying now? Keep your head in the game. How long do you have ? Is this your last year? If so - your in the home stretch. Worry about the cars after that except when you need a brain break. You'll thank yourself later. The loans..you'll pay them off.