PATS delete service?

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
Hazleton, Pa
I picked up a project car and can't get the thing to start. Theft light flashes constantly and continues to flash while trying to start and just want to get it deleted. The car is a 98 GT so if anyone does this service or can recommend a place to send my PCM it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

If no one does, I found a reputable enough place on flea bay for this service on a VW Beetle ECU. I messaged or called sellers first, and also found several places worth avoiding, and two that were real businesses that did not have the right connector for that year. But even with the search hassle, it was worth it to not have to try to buy and program an unobtanium OEM Beetle key fob.
Good luck!

Here's some information that might allow you to re-program PATS yourself.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Like my Corvette you will find that it will be cheaper to fix the problem than emulate a solution
You need a NGS and a new transponder key
Call a good locksmith
If you lived near SLC I would try to do it for you
Older Mustangs like yours used to dump the pats key programming once in a while

Now I'm not sure if I have a PATS issue or what. Open car door and the theft light flashes, not sure if that is normal. Install key, turn to run and the theft light proves out after 3 seconds. Doesn't flash while cranking. Fuel pump comes one but no pressure at the rail. No spark either and my chilton manual is no help for a good wiring diagram. So, I have a new pump on order but why no spark if its not a PATS issue?

Now I'm not sure if I have a PATS issue or what. Open car door and the theft light flashes, not sure if that is normal. Install key, turn to run and the theft light proves out after 3 seconds. Doesn't flash while cranking. Fuel pump comes one but no pressure at the rail. No spark either and my chilton manual is no help for a good wiring diagram. So, I have a new pump on order but why no spark if its not a PATS issue?
With the chipped keyed cars I have driven, Ford and otherwise, the engine will start with a non programmed or chip less key. It promptly shuts off before you can go anywhere.
The blinking light and it shutting off sounds right.

So I sent the PCM out to have the PATS deleted and it did not fix my problem. So far i replaced the fuel pump, CCRM, PATS deleted and still no spark or fuel pressure at the rail? The pump will run for a second and thats it and only getting 8.3 volts at the plug when the key is turned to run. I'm at a loss here as were to turn next. I ordered a factory service manual so going to start checking wiring. I'm thinking a bad ground going to the PCM? IDK

Noticing you have a 98 GT
Pats was in GEM I believe on some applications. Not sure about removing or deleting PATS
8.3v does sound like ghost in the machine type stuff because pats should cut the voltage right the hell off
I know they had at least 3 or 4 different pats systems and they all did things a bit different
Some Mustangs and trucks would start and run fine until you put it in any gear and then it would die (over and over)
Over and over run fine and then die. Others would not even crank with the theft light flashing
It was hard enough just finding out which system we were working on
Good luck. You can work your way thru this
I have seen a bunch of weird stuff. Smashed wires under the carpets and seats, Bad splices. Melted fuel pump connectors

NGS New Generation Star
Fords special tool to Diagnose powertrain and body codes. You can program keys etc. with it
You can read pids from the pats system and run the wipers and stuff like that on the 92 and newer ones
Here is a picture of one like mine
Not much good after about 2002 when the laptops came

unnamed (2NGS).jpg

Quite a bit better than most obd scanners as this will do the same for 92-96 before obd2
Can plug in and check obscure pids like door latch switches and 4x4 command abs solenoids and the like
None of that special stuff is on available on anything but dealer diagnostic scan tools that I know of
Still looking for a VAG myself so I can play with some of the German cars or what? (crap)? I have to fix

So would a NGS work better than the modern scan tool? I worked on the car this past weekend and the pump is getting 12v, coils are getting 12v, Injectors are pulsing while starting but still no spark. Something is keeping the computer from telling it to control the coils. I don't thin its two bad coils as they both ohm out the same. My guess is I can back probe the coils to see if they are getting a signal but I don't think they are. Does ford sell a flow chart to troubleshoot this? What to rent that NGS system out!?!?! getting desperate. LOL

PickupMan,
The NGS can program keys
Not sure which other scan tools can do this is I am/was Just a lowly dealer tech
Most locksmiths have a special tool for programming keys for all makes
98 with theft lamp flashing to me means wrong key programming or no communication to the GEM module
The NGS would help with com codes and to reprogram
Those Mustangs used to just loose their key programming once in a while

I talked to the placed that did the PATS delete, Garrett tuning. He said that when they disable the PATS it ignores the "handshake" needed from the key and just allows it to start. With regards to my problem they are thinking possible hardware issue, wiring to coils/computer or lastly the ignition part of the computer has failed since they had no issues communicating when they did the delete.

As mentioned before they recommended ForScan to help with the troubleshooting as it the best bang for the buck for DIY. I'll keep you posted.

So it ran once before with the processor in it that had this PATS delete?
To me pats is contained in the gem
I may be wrong
So it would be the gem module that needed the pats delete
I don't understand the why for pats delete and why not just feed it (the GEM module) the correct key transponder code
To my knowledge there is nothing much controlling those coils in the processor
It should all be contained in the EDIS module